Help with hair that's gone ginger

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choc choc

Reaction score
I am level 2 qualified in hair in need of some advice from the experts.
my friend has just rang me to say she has had a tint on her hair that went ginger so then the hairdresser put some highlights through and it is still ginger. she has a natural light base of 9.
well all i have in is a 7,13 and 8,13 and bleach, could i put the tint on global and put a few highlights through or do you think i should stay well clear. any advice would be great.

I would say unless you have the tnits you need to stay clear. the .13 tints still have an element of gold in them.

thanks for yor reply.
So if I go to the wholesalers tomorrow do you think a 10,1 or 9,1 global ?

Just be careful, she says she's still ginger, but are her highlights ginger?? The hairdresser has maybe just added to her problem coz if they're blonde then you might not be abble to tone the ginger from her base out as the blonde will grab, so just be very careful of this x

do you mean if her highlights are blonde but the other colour is golden and you try to put an ash on it all over, the highlights may go too ashy whereas the all over will go to a more neutral shade?

so if they are blonde ,the highlights, shall i try to pick these up and put them in foils with cond and go through the rest off the hair with tint, and if it is all golden the tint should be ok with a few highlights through the top.

If you can but if she has highlights all through it it's going to be impossible to pick them all out. If you do go ahead with an all over toner just keep a close eye on those highlights and take it off when they start to turn colour, the base might get toned a bit as maybe her highlights arn't a pale blonde anyway. Did the hairdresser do the base as well as highlights or did she go in to a salon to get her home colour fixed then they done highlights?
Also recommend she gets a silver saver shampoo for grey hair, lakme do a fab one but wella and l'oreal and a few other companys also do one. Or she could get one in her chemist, it's blue/purple when in your hand and if she uses it maybe every other or every 3rd time she washes her hair it will help keep her hair from getting any more yellowie/orangey as blonde hair does tend to do this anyway
Good luck, let us know how you get on x

no the same lady did it a mobile hairdresser. not sure cause only spoke to her on the phone but I am going to have a look tonight, but from what she told me, the hairdresser put a tint on it went orange and then put some highlights through, which i would have thought would of made it worst but never mind , will let you know later, thanks for your help.

well had a look and it's more the top of the head that's ginger, and you can see the highlights slightly, going to do her hair to night, wish me luck, just one question shall i go for the 9,01 or the 9,1, thanks

well had a look and it's more the top of the head that's ginger, and you can see the highlights slightly, going to do her hair to night, wish me luck, just one question shall i go for the 9,01 or the 9,1, thanks

Hi, you will need the ash 9/1 tint to cool it with a low peroxide but the 9/01 in colour touch is nice and works very well for cooling , but whatever ash you are using do not put it on the lighter blonde hair not even for a minute
or it can go a horrid khaki
you will need to cover these with foil, ring wella they may have some more advice for you , they are so helpful :hug: x minky

The Helpline is available from 9.00am to 5.15pm, Monday to Friday. If the phone lines are busy, you can leave your telephone number and we will call you back.

For fast, friendly, expert help, the number you require is: 0845 704 5775

Alternatively please email for technical hairdressing advice through the Wella website: www.wella.co.uk/contactus

I think I am going to stay well clear of this one, bit out my depth I think, but thanks for all your help.

Latest posts

Back