Help with new client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen boswell

Reaction score
Hiya, I've booked a client in for Tuesday and as I was doing skin test and consultation today she told me that her current hairdresser(12years) has taken time off due to bereavement and can't do her hair for her upcoming holiday. She is pretty friendly with her so asked her what to tell me that she gets done as she's never had her hair coloured by anyone else. The hairdresser txt her back saying 'full head foils all high lift tint NO BLEACH'
Can anyone point me in the right direction of shades as I'm at a bit of a loss. It all just looks very warm to me. If she hadn't said that I would've know exactly what i would have done but that's thrown me a bit. I'm wella trained but I've started using some L'Oréal and Schwartzkopf recently. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1496615722.172666.jpg

What's her natural? Looks about a 5/6 from the picture.

Oh dear, her old hairdresser sounds very out of touch!
Bleach & 6% followed by a good toner would be much cleaner and gentler on her hair than highlift and 12% which I find useless on anything lower than an 8. That's why it looks so brassy.

Also, I never use anyone else's formulas but always trust my own knowledge. You are the professional and they need to trust your judgement or go elsewhere. This is a great opportunity to educate your client.

She's a 6 naturally the photo has shown it a wee bit darker but it's a 6. Yeah I agree bleach plus low developer would be so much better on the hair than hi lift and 12%! I also feel like there's no definition in the blonde at the back(in the pony section) I'd like to go back into that and break it up a bit. X

I would do 12/89 12%, bleach with 6% and colour touch 7/73. All very fine and lots of them. Then possibly tone all over with 10/96 and pastel and send her out with a silver shampoo. It's useful to know what the other stylist has done but you're not duty bound to copy their formula and send her away looking a bit meh. Explain to client the result will be slightly different but that she will feel blond and the colour will look fresher and she will be rid of the brassiness and buildup of colour on the ends.

That's exactly the shades I was thinking of so I'm so happy you recommended that. I've just qualified so I'm still finding my feet. This might be a daft question but with the 12/89 could you take that down onto the blonde sections I'd be foiling and use with pastel to tone those sections whilst the 12% is lifting the root? Also I was thinking of doing a flood in between on a level 9 as the bottom looks like there's none of her natural colour left whatsoever. X

would say don't take the 12/89 down to the ends as it will probably be too drying. However, when you weave and paint onto the hair look out for the darker strands closer to the root and if you need to take the 12/89 down further, do so. For the bleach, I would do the roots first then go back and open up those bleach packets and paint the ends with bleach with 4% to lighten up those bleached strands 10-15 mins before the end to lighten them up and make them even, where it needs it, use your eyes and judgement. As for level 9, I don't know sorry. I think the 7/73 would be enough to break up the colour and act as her natural tone to break up the ends. Good luck!

So I completed my client....
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1496772501.136413.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1496772519.208717.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it. This is my first 'colour correction' on my own outside college time so I think I've done well! Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you both for your advice. X

Lovely [emoji8]

Did she like it? X

Yeah she did I didn't do the flood in between though so I think her existing root was still a bit visible and I absolutely packed in the highlights. She did say her rot was longer than she would ever leave it as she was hoping that her existing hairdresser would be back at work. I don't think she'll be a repeat client but

I gave her another option if she does feel like changing it up. X

You did a great job. Well done!
If she's doesn't return, it might be that she's afraid of upsetting her original hairdresser rather than not liking your work.

Thanks AcidPerm! I'm proud of it. Yeah I think if she's been loyal to
Someone for 12 years she'll stick with her but she's happy with her hair and that makes me feel [emoji16] x

Latest posts

Back