Help with possible infection??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz007

Reaction score
Hi all,

My sister in law has been a serial nail biter for years now and has called today worrying as half of her nail beds are now red and sore and the skin surrounding the nail is red and swollen too.She lives at the opposite end of the country so it's not possible to take a look myself.I got her to email a photo and after looking in my books,it looks to me like an infected nail bed which would make sense as she has her fingers stuck in her mouth all the time!!!

I have already advised her to go to the doctor to get a proper diagnosis but am wondering if anyone here can shed any light on if i have told her the right thing?? I am still learning so it would be interesting to know if i'm on the right track. The pic in in my album but it is not too clear.

Could it possibly be Paronychia?

It looks infected around the cuticle/matrix area to me, this would be causing pressure to the top of the nail bed, restricting blood flow to it, hence the white appearance of the nail...?

I may be wrong though as i'm also currently still in training!

If it is indeed paronychia, then yes, Dr's would be needed. I think Antibiotics would be prescribed.

Hi

Thanks for the reply....i was thinking exactly the same.I've been trying to photoshop the pic so it's a bit clearer but having to download a new program atm so hopefully once i have that i should be able to see it a little better

Thanks again for the reply:lol:

Latest posts

Back