Help with self employed terms and conditions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherylj45

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone help me with Self employed terms and conditions as in holidays/time off allowed etc. I have a new stylist self employed and she only wants to work every other Saturday and have every half term off!! She is a friend and this is obviously not how things work in a salon. I'm in need of advice on what other salons allow and what you think is acceptable to ask as the salon owner. The rate is 60/40.

She is self employed. She can work when she likes.

She is self employed. She can work when she likes.
And I agree with you but what if she decides to take three weeks off....I then Have no income on that chair for three weeks?

Surely she pays rent regardless of being on holiday or not?

She thinks not as she pays 60/40 on her earnings

That is the problem with %split. It would be much better for you to charge a set rate per month based on how many days a week she works then it's up to her what her working hours are but you get your rent regardless. You might not make as much but at least it's a consistent amount as otherwise you don't know what you will get from one month to the next! We still have to pay our rent & rates etc when we go on holiday!

That is the problem with %split. It would be much better for you to charge a set rate per month based on how many days a week she works then it's up to her what her working hours are but you get your rent regardless. You might not make as much but at least it's a consistent amount as otherwise you don't know what you will get from one month to the next! We still have to pay our rent & rates etc when we go on holiday!
This does sound much easier....how do you work out your prices

This is why I hate percentage splits and wouldn't do them. If you have someone who really wants to play at salons, you earn very little. I much prefer a set rent which is charged week in week out and if they choose to have a week off the rent is paid regardless.

Vic x

This is why I hate percentage splits and wouldn't do them. If you have someone who really wants to play at salons, you earn very little. I much prefer a set rent which is charged week in week out and if they choose to have a week off the rent is paid regardless.

Vic x
Thanks x I'm beginning to agree with you on this. What would you say is a fair rate?

What are you offering? I charge and get £25 per day for a small room. It includes towels and washing, tea and coffee and cleaning.
We are a very isolated salon in the middle if nowhere with absolutely no passing trade. Maybe a cow or a dog!

What's your location and set up?

Vic x

I would also add that those days are set so no coming and going as you please. The therapists who use my rooms are very supportive of each others businesses as am I. If the room isn't being used, another therapist can use it on a day that isn't their regular day as long as no one takes the p!

For hair I think it can vary widely depending on location and type of salon. Here in SE outskirts of London it varies from £40-60 but I Think it is less in other areas of the country. Most salons seem to offer a discount for stylists that do a full week. I guess you need to work out how much that chair could make an hour if it was fully utilised and go from there. When you normally get your % split, you could average it out to what you normally get a day. I would say you at least want to be paid minimum hourly wage for hiring out your chair or you might be better off employing a stylist as you could make more money and also have more control of the hours worked!

Well I supply all stationary,tea,coffee,wash and dry all towels and use of the space. They get clients shared between them that are new. Advertising I do split the cost. Am I being too soft ? We are placed on a busy main rd in a rural area(not a wealthy area) but we are doing very well considering it's only been open 15months

Well I supply all stationary,tea,coffee,wash and dry all towels and use of the space. They get clients shared between them that are new. Advertising I do split the cost. Am I being too soft ? We are placed on a busy main rd in a rural area(not a wealthy area) but we are doing very well considering it's only been open 15months
I honestly don't know for hair. Mines beauty which is always cheaper. £40 per day has been suggested. Does your friend have any ideas? You could be very kind and do a lower rate for the first x amount of months if she has no clientele. Make it clear that rent is paid every single week just like renting a flat, and days are set, but the times she does on those days are up to her !

Vic x

Latest posts

Back