Highlift tints

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lea2721

Reaction score
could i just ask i read alot on here and know that highlift tints are a great alternative from bleach but how do you work out what base and tone it would end up?
if for example there a base six and base 6 coloured underlying orange pigment obv so if you used a 12/1 would this take them to a base 9- 10 colour and the 1 would help to counteract the warmth slightly so it would be a more neautral tone?
am i on right lines and hope it makes sense haha x

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

Highlight won't lift tinted hair, maybe 1 shade but not alot x

Or do you mean on virgin hair? X

Incorrect, 10 lifts 1 shade, highlift about 3

Tigi on the other hand lifts better over Colour ;) x

ok so if someone wanted 1 levelift would it be ok to use instead of bleacg? at the salon im at she used highlift on her sisters base 5 coloured and lifted to a 7
but ok what if its a natural base 6 ? x

i thought so ive seen wella highlift used a few times in highlights on coloured hair so am i on the right track with theory behind it or am i completly wrong lol :) x

Goldwell doesn't do that lol I need to change brand! Lol x

Highlift tint might lift colour but it is not as predictable. Whether you lighten hair with bleach or colour/highlift, you are still mixing with peroxide and using oxidation to lighten the hair.

Artifial colour is much more difficult to break down than natural colour, and normally it needs something stronger like a bleach product, but highlift might lift slightly if there is not too much artifical colour in the hair. You have to use something different on the natual regrowth though or you will have two different colours on the same strands of hair.

Highlift tint might lift colour but it is not as predictable. Whether you lighten hair with bleach or colour/highlift, you are still mixing with peroxide and using oxidation to lighten the hair.

Artifial colour is much more difficult to break down than natural colour, and normally it needs something stronger like a bleach product, but highlift might lift slightly if there is not too much artifical colour in the hair. You have to use something different to the natual regrowth though or you will have two different colours on the same strands of hair.

I use one product, two different strengths, mine is always a perfect Colour exactly as I predict :) but then again TIGI is an awesome Colour range

What vol peroxide would you use for this?

Tigi highlifts really do lift through artificial color. I was dumbfounded when I tried it and it actually worked.

I've done this for years too, normally when I'm after 2-3 shades difference, and apply the general rule of thumb (that I know the underlying pigment and the shade I'm after, so I know what to use to tackle it) it's harder to advise someone which one to use on a forum though as its really something you need to be stood in front of, and the option just comes to you as to which is best to use :)

Same as blue, lower vol root to ends depending on desired result :) I have a pick somewhere where I have done this on a lady, refused bleach bath but wanted lighter, so I advised as a rule tint won't lift tint but highlift as an unsaid rule does but only a couple of shades, so we can't try that and if that wasn't light enough then next time try again and work slowly or do the bleach bath, but the colour came out as I expected and as i had explained but darker than she wanted as she was aware but she loved it :)

I've done this for years too, normally when I'm after 2-3 shades difference, and apply the general rule of thumb (that I know the underlying pigment and the shade I'm after, so I know what to use to tackle it) it's harder to advise someone which one to use on a forum though as its really something you need to be stood in front of, and the option just comes to you as to which is best to use :)

Same as blue, lower vol root to ends depending on desired result :) I have a pick somewhere where I have done this on a lady, refused bleach bath but wanted lighter, so I advised as a rule tint won't lift tint but highlift as an unsaid rule does but only a couple of shades, so we can't try that and if that wasn't light enough then next time try again and work slowly or do the bleach bath, but the colour came out as I expected and as i had explained but darker than she wanted as she was aware but she loved it :)

thanks i was not really after a certain colour was just wondering if my theory was correct at choosing colours if i ever was to use it but thankyou for explaining i was on the right track :D xx

I've been getting foils for years & tinting in between with Igora Royal 10 with 30 for 2 years until I thought blow it enough of bleaching as I adore Schwarzkopf's Blondme I switching to their BlondMe Lifting tint in 'Ice' I have warm base 5 & this lifted a full 5 shades where it needed to with the matching Blonde in 9% -45 minutes later a icy blonde that's almost perfect I have a few steaks of not quite as icy at the back but no orange or gold just a tad less icy ash.

I know it's great as I've had compliments my hair doesn't look 'over-bleached' anymore just naturally nice. Blondme Lifting tints are my new HG.

base shade 5...use 12/81
base shade 6 ...use 12/89
7.........12/61 or 12/16
8.........12/96 all used with 12%
will stop developing after 40 mins
not placed under heat
not used if client has been swimming in last 24 hours:D

Wella is 60mins and must be left on for full development time the most important part is the last 10-20 mins as its depositing the tone that's why some people moan that highlifts has left them brassy looking because it's taken off to early hth.

Wella is 60mins and must be left on for full development time the most important part is the last 10-20 mins as its depositing the tone that's why some people moan that highlifts has left them brassy looking because it's taken off to early hth.

Totally agree in my 35 years of hairdressing you simply HAVE to leave on the correct time even 5 minutes too early can give brassy tones.

Latest posts

Back