HIGHLIGHTS AFTER A PERM? Advice Please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aec5968

Reaction score
what is the worst can happen? my nail client wants me to do a full head highlight on her in two weeks after she come back from her greek holiday. She's always had a perm to give her root lift. She had it done about 6 weeks ago but then she had to go back and had the crown area redone coz the perm wasn't holding. She now tells me she wants to go blonde between a Level 9 to a 10. she is a 7 at the moment. I took hair cuttings from her head around the crown area. Im not sure whether I should be using bleach, majiblond or majirel or best not to do it all as it is permed. I've only been hairdressing for 2 years and have never really experienced dealing with permed hair. I use L'Oreal products. Many thanks and I look forward to receiving some advice. :confused:

what is the worst can happen? my nail client wants me to do a full head highlight on her in two weeks after she come back from her greek holiday. She's always had a perm to give her root lift. She had it done about 6 weeks ago but then she had to go back and had the crown area redone coz the perm wasn't holding. She now tells me she wants to go blonde between a Level 9 to a 10. she is a 7 at the moment. I took hair cuttings from her head around the crown area. Im not sure whether I should be using bleach, majiblond or majirel or best not to do it all as it is permed. I've only been hairdressing for 2 years and have never really experienced dealing with permed hair. I use L'Oreal products. Many thanks and I look forward to receiving some advice. :confused:

Hi, as long as the test pieces are ok then you should have no problems

but..... if she wants another perm or root perm over any of the lightened bleached /highlights
then this is where you would have to be very careful ,

but since it is only a root perm ,
you may be able to time it right so the two processes don't overlap too much
but I personally wouldn't recommend a root perm if your using bleach for the highlights as breakage is likely
tint may be ok but do test pieces first :) hth x minky

I personally would only do one or the other.

I did once have a client that insisted on it, and I levelled with her. Her hair was short enough that she got regular cuts, I hated how it looked but she loved it.

She was a 7 as well, I used a combination of highlift bleach and level 12 blonde color to give it some variation for her 80's hair band look.

When you perm the hair, it's breaking down and restructuring the hair, which is more damaging. Have a talk with her and tell her your concerns. Then, if her hair falls out at least you told her :/

Hello Minky thanks for your reply. Just to recap.. as long as the tests are ok, it's safe to go ahead with the highlights either bleach or tint. but once she's had the highlight bleach or tint, she cannot have a perm. how long should she leave it before she has another perm?

Im just worried that the hair would become wooly after highlights.

thanks Tanya, I think she is the sort of client who cannot live without a perm and I understand that perming after bleaching is not a good thing to do. thanks again. I will have a word with my client.

Hello Minky thanks for your reply. Just to recap.. as long as the tests are ok, it's safe to go ahead with the highlights either bleach or tint. but once she's had the highlight bleach or tint, she cannot have a perm. how long should she leave it before she has another perm?

Im just worried that the hair would become wooly after highlights.

Hi , I personally wouldn't put perm lotion near bleached highlights at all as breakage usually occurs and can turn it like elastic and yes :) woolly too

but if you were to do it with tint then it may be possible to have a root perm , but..... test pieces would be needed first , and a perm for lightened hair ,

understood. Many thanks.

how long is her hair? you need to work out how many times the ends would have been permed . I would never go near a perm with bleach and vice versa , and perhaps not hi-lift(12%) if she wants to keep the hi-lites up because you will always have a little overlap in both perming and hi-lighting.
It may be okay to use a colour with 9 % depending on the strength and thickness of the hair .
If she is going or has been on holiday to the sun , the heat and perhaps pool water can also affect the total condition and result .

thanks for your input liana will certainly bear this in mind

Latest posts

Back