Highlights too red help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsimplexshelx

Reaction score
Iv highlighted my hair ( I'm qualified level 2) but iv previously had red on my hair before tinting it black. I stripped colour out last night and it went an orange colour which was fine as I want brown and blonde through it. But today iv highlighted with blondor bleach and 3% but it's gone too red orangey with very blonde in parts. I don't want highlights too white just a nice blonde. Iv toned it to try and get some of the warmth out but it's still too red. What is best to put on to tone most of this red out. Help please. I don't want to walk around ginger. X

Sounds as though you didn't leave it on for long enough and you should have used 6%. Personally to get a really nice toned blonde i would bleach the bits again (only the red/orange bits) until white and then tone with a 12/89 or whatever tone of blonde you want but don't use anything with /1 in it because it may go grey.

Yes sounds as if you not used high enough peroxide or left it in long enough hence the brassy result.

Has mentioned above pick up the bits if you can and tone with pastel toner use 10/16 or 10/8 or any other 10 series has the 12 range is not for toning.

Yes sounds as if you not used high enough peroxide or left it in long enough hence the brassy result.

Has mentioned above pick up the bits if you can and tone with pastel toner use 10/16 or 10/8 or any other 10 series has the 12 range is not for toning.

Very correct!! 12 is highlift which has a high ammonia content which will kill hair if bleached and then used to tone, 3% is also sufficient to use to lift but you prob needed to leave longer or not try and get it light on the first time! X

Thanks for replies. There was too much orange through my hair to pick out and re bleach so I did a bleach bath (wouldn't of done it normally but was getting annoyed with the colour) then I applied base 6. It's toned right down. Still looks a bit warm in places but it's not too bad. Should of mentioned my hairs in bad condition and that's why I didn't leave bleach on too long or use a higher peroxide as i didn't want it all snapping. Going to get a semi tomorrow and leave highlighting it for a while need to get a good repair treatment and get the condition good again. Thanks x

I'm just happy the blacks out lol x

I've toned with 12's before, did a wella workshop once and the lady suggested using 12's to tone bleach hair but obviously not with 12%, use Welloxon Perfect Pastel , stay with the hair whilst its on and just work it through and rinse off when happy with the result. If you use the 10's that would just dull down the blonde. The Welloxon Perfect Pastel is designed to tone with the 12's.

Thank you. I'm leaving it for the rest of the week and using Wella self heating mask to try and sort the condition out then will hopefully get it lighter. It's a dark blonde at the min still a hint of red but nowhere near as bad as it was x

I've toned with 12's before, did a wella workshop once and the lady suggested using 12's to tone bleach hair but obviously not with 12%, use Welloxon Perfect Pastel , stay with the hair whilst its on and just work it through and rinse off when happy with the result. If you use the 10's that would just dull down the blonde. The Welloxon Perfect Pastel is designed to tone with the 12's.

Erm no it's really not!!

If you use a 10 it will optically look the same as a 12, highlift contain to much ammonia for it to be safe to tone with!! And pastel is slightly lower than 3% only slightly.

Well i can only go by what Wella themselves have suggested. Also the descriptions for the perfect pastel developer suggest that it's safe to use with high lift. I've done it before and hair has come out perfect so i guess it's just a matter of opinion and clashes as to how we've been taught. Personally i'm sticking to what Wella have taught me.

Really?

I'd rather be known for being honest and upfront in my knowledge, and if you have an opinion on wella's 12 range would you like to post constructively?

Don't criticise those who freely give helpful advice just because you think a comment is slightly catty!! I'm honest not bitchy!! Their Is a massive difference that a lot of people get confused!

Really?

I'd rather be known for being honest and upfront in my knowledge, and if you have an opinion on wella's 12 range would you like to post constructively?

Don't criticise those who freely give helpful advice just because you think a comment is slightly catty!! I'm honest not bitchy!! Their Is a massive difference that a lot of people get confused!

Good on you Blue, leave a constructive comment or leave it alone.

I also would agree with the 12's being to strong to tone but it's been a while since I've used them so I couldn't say for certain.

Really?

I did't say that you was wrong did I? Yeah honest and tactless....... Very catty to me.

Well I have been on the phone today to talk to wella technical help line regarding a few questions I had. Anyhow I thought I would ask the question regarding the 12 series for toning..,.,

They said NO that you can not tone with this, has its designed to lift not tone!!! So sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I haven't asked this question to get any browny points I asked because I want to be able to offer the correct service.. I'm old school do need refreshing !!

Just because you do things differently doesn't mean to say that what someone else does is wrong? If i've been told to do something by a Wella representitive and it worked well then i don't really think you have the right to critisize. I'm not saying your wrong, the 9's and 10's are good toners but if i need to lift slightly and tone then i would use the 12's.
I think if your going to have an honest opinion then you need to be a bit more proffesional about it, don't come across as catty and aggressive, it's not a good look.

Snaz - That's strange, i don't know why she would have suggested that to us then, although the results are nice so why would you not use it? I guess as hairdressers we need to agree to disagree lol.

Yes strange. I'm going to do a wella blonde course in may so I will pick up some tips on this course and i pass it on!!!

Latest posts

Back