Hiring, self employed or rent out space??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunkissed

Reaction score
i am about to open a tanning and beauty salon which is set to be the biggest in my town, so fingers crossed should do well ..im a qualified spray tanner and do alot of sienna x tans a week and my partner is going to man the reception.

the only thing i cant decide - i need a beautician/ nail technician 25hpw. does anyone know the best route to go down
ie hiring someone as an employee
advertising position as self employed or
rent the beauty and nail side out (but keep spraytans)

if anyone has went down any of these roads could you please give me any advice

thanks in advance xx

Hi sunkissed!

Well done you! Where in Northumberland are you, I'm just down the road.

I think it probably depends on what you're comfortable with, do you want to actually be an employer and take on all that goes with it or would you rather just have an income from renting out?

I've been mobile up to now but have been looking for a base for a day or two a week and I've just agreed to do one day at a friends salon not too far from me. She's fab with nails, spray tans, lashes etc where as I enjoy more the complementary stuff, facials, make up so taking a room with her is on a non competitive basis although I'll still do nails outside of there.

She has had bad experiences hiring in the past so wanted to just rent the room out as she thinks that's easier and much more straight forward.

Have a look at what would be involved with employing and take it from there I guess, and no doubt there'll be loads on here with great advice about what they've done in the past

Good luck with the salon and let me know where and when and I'll pop up and say hello!

xx:hug:

Personally I couldn't deal with renting out to people - I NEED that element of control. I need to be able to say "your hours are xyz" and "you can't use your mobile in the salon in front of customers" and "wearing that just isn't appropriate"... If you rent your rooms/chairs out then you have virtually no say in a lot of things, because it's not up to you what they do - they're paying rent, not employee's.

I guess it's the control freak in me. I need to know that my salon will be represented in the manner I want it to be. An employee I can coach, a tenant I can't.

Personally I couldn't deal with renting out to people - I NEED that element of control. I need to be able to say "your hours are xyz" and "you can't use your mobile in the salon in front of customers" and "wearing that just isn't appropriate"... If you rent your rooms/chairs out then you have virtually no say in a lot of things, because it's not up to you what they do - they're paying rent, not employee's.

I guess it's the control freak in me. I need to know that my salon will be represented in the manner I want it to be. An employee I can coach, a tenant I can't.

Haha, that is sooo me. I could never have renters in. For all the hassle they can sometimes give you, I'd much rather have employees.

I had the same query. From research both have their perks and pitfalls. I would go with employing and see how that goes. Second to that i would rent, that way if they take the mickey you will still be getting the rent. If they you take them self employed on a % basis and they dont show and mess you around then you would be losing your cut!! As a new business thats the last thing you need!

x

thanks everyone for your inputs...im still in two minds...i also like the idea if been able to say when peole work etc...im considering taking on someone temporary till xmas to see how it goes then put a more permanant base to it after xmas..
thanks everone xx

Latest posts

Back