Holiday charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SelfEmployed L

Reaction score
Hi I’m part time in a salon as a self employed hairdresser. I purchase all my own stock, products do my own bookings and pay a % of what I earn.
The salon I’m based in has just been bought out and the new owner wants me to pay rent if I have any time off. In all salons I’ve worked in this has never been this case so wanted to see if it’s common practice? Also I had a weeks holiday booked prior to when he took over which he refused to honor.
any advice is greatly received. Thank you

He can't refuse to honor the holiday. You're self-employed, you do what you want. However, if he wants to move from percentage-based rent to a flat daily fee rent then that's up to you to negotiate. You can't really mix it, the percentage for when working and flat fee when you're off.

If it's flat fee though, it's normal to pay for days when you aren't there/sick/on holiday etc. It's just like renting a house. I don't get to avoid my mortgage payment when on holiday ;)

Print off a copy of the HMRC guidelines and refer to them when you are negotiating with him. It sounds like your Landlord might be inexperienced in owning a salon with self employed renters.
He can determine the fee/percentage split and what services are included but he cannot interfere with how you run your business, what prices you charge or when you take time off. You can even send a substitute hairdresser in to do your clients when you go on holiday.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Latest posts

Back