Holiday entitlement when renting a chair, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I rent a chair 2 days a week & bank holidays, Xmas & new year if it falls onto my day I still have to pay my rent. Should they be allowed to do this? Also I thought I'm entitled to some time Freddie holidays? Thanks x

Sorry I was ment to add the salon will obviously be closed so I didn't think I should have to pay?

Hey hun, what's freddie holidays? Why don't u bring this up with the owner? See if u can come to an agreement, ie when its a bank holiday instead of working the monday u work the wednesday/or saturday and still pay the same rent-so u still get ur days to earn. I think its worth asking.

Xx

Silly predictive txt on the iPhone! Free holidays I ment to say Thankyou for the reply x

They said in our meeting that we have to pay for Christmas boxing day new years day and the 2nd jan even though the salon is closed which as a previous salon owner I rented my chairs and you don't charge what they can't work if it's the owners fault. X

They said in our meeting that we have to pay for Christmas boxing day new years day and the 2nd jan even though the salon is closed which as a previous salon owner I rented my chairs and you don't charge what they can't work if it's the owners fault. X

I would say okay well I will work on another day then as I need to earn in order to pay for rental of the chair. Some people sadly just seem to love exploiting others.:irked:

As said above, I'd ask to work another day, say u need to be able to earn money to pay for the rent. Or just ask for different days, say your circumstances have changed and a monday isn't suitable for ur needs any more.

As for xmas/new year- u'll just have to bite the bullet, u wouldn't want to work and they may fall on ur days off-if not this year then other years.

I work on a monday 6 hours 1-7 I can take bank hols off unpaid/or use hols. Or I can work 10-2 so less money and not really my shift. I take them off unpaid as I want my hols for my hols, u kinda get stung working mondays :/ xx

Did you sign a contract agreeing to these terms ? x

Nope I have not signed a contract they don't intend on putting one in place x

As I understand it, and the way I've always worked it, if you're renting a chair I presume you're self employed which unfortunately means no work = no pay, holiday, sickness, compassionate or any other kind.

I pay rent 52 weeks of the year regardless of whether I'm on holiday or it's a day when the salon is closed. If they were to close for a week or whatever for redecoration, then I'd expect not to have to pay, but other than that I'm afraid.....

Good thread! Don't forget that the salon owner has to pay rent even on Xmas day too. You are both in the same boat. But as an owner I always find a way to help out in these scenarios. In my salons we often ask people to cover extra days so it all works out. Communication with the salon owner is the key.

Latest posts

Back