home based rates ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi there

Someone was saying that on the radio a couple of weeks ago a man had to pay full business rates for his home based business that he had set up in the garage (UK)

(I don't know anymore about it ) except that it was in the region of around three thousand pounds,

do you think this is because he was not utilizing one the house rooms?
or is this something new :eek:?

Does anyone have any knowledge of these things:) ?

Not only do I not pay business rates for my home based salon but I get a tax allowance for using one room in my house as my business. That was probably what the guy on the radio was moaning about, my council make so many mistakes that I'm sure they all wear slip on shoes because they can't be trusted to tie their shoe laces:irked: No offense to any geeks who have to work in council offices as well as be geeks, being a geek immediately shows you have style, taste and intelligence:lol:

You will need to pay business rates on your 'salon' if it is a purpose built room, ie. a converted garage, an extension, etc.

You shouldn't have to pay if it's a normal room in your house just being used for a different purpose - for example, a spare bedroom, which once you put a bed in it reverts back to a bedroom without any alterations. A dining room is also another example.

Even if you do have to pay business rates on your 'salon' I believe would be a proportion in relation to the number of rooms you have. If you have 8 rooms in your house and one is your salon you would pay an 8th of the business rates for your area, plus your normal council tax for your domestic premises.

Check with your local council as they all vary but the above seems to be the norm when the Geeks have discussed it before.

HTH

Thank you
for your replies :hug:

Latest posts

Back