Home salons-no spare room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

Hope you're having a great weekend?

I'm a freelance/mobile nail technician, but I also give clients the option of coming to my place, however I don't have a spare room and have an extra table in my front room with all my materials/equipment/products already set up.

I often feel that it doesn't seem very professional by doing this (even though my set up is fairly professional) I think what I'm trying to say, is that I don't think its very professional as its part of my front room.

I've never had any clients complain but I'm not sure whether I would like having treatments in someones lounge in their family home...so I've started looking for somewhere to rent a space.

How do you clients feel and react towards your space and does it work well for you?

My home salon is a separate room but I've always hated that clients have to walk into my bedroom to get to the bathroom... Granted, it's just 1 metre between the two doors and the bedroom is always IMMACULATE but I feel it isn't particularly professional. However, when I've broached the subject with clients they all either don't think it matters, didn't really notice or say I'm being silly - noone has ever commented on "my lack of professionalism" as I see it.

Have you thought about getting a room divider?

Xxx

I don't have any spare rooms either, in fact my front room is my bed room and the 4 kids (18 - 24) have claimed the upstairs as their own, the solution, I have a cosy salon area under the stairs right next to the kitchen, that leads onto the utility and downstairs loo, it is working well, but I still have my eye on the box room, should any of my children decide to move out lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I was actually wondering the same thing. I currently don't have any spare rooms in my house. I was wanting to move in order to get a extra room, but moving is so expensive now-a-days. So i decided i would have to only be mobile. Which is slightly tricky at the moment as i'm waiting for all the snow to clear so i can book my driving test. So its limiting.

I do my mums eyelash extensions in my front room. I have a beauty couch and I always set it up in a relaxing, calming way. But I feel if i was to offering it to paying clients, that they might not feel very comfortable. Like maybe my husband or son could walk in (of course i would make sure they were out for the duration) or they might feel exposed in a way. Even though it would only be eyelash extensions. Not waxing or anything. I wasn't sure it would look very professional.

I do love the look of Room dividers though. I'm sure they have a fancy name, but i cant think of it. I googled it and found a random one that looked pretty so will attach the link so you all know what im talking about. But this would be nice, to make it more closed off and cosey. Could be an option for making it slightly more private.

Attachments

• new-room-divider.jpg
    new-room-divider.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 499
My home salon is a separate room but I've always hated that clients have to walk into my bedroom to get to the bathroom... Granted, it's just 1 metre between the two doors and the bedroom is always IMMACULATE but I feel it isn't particularly professional. However, when I've broached the subject with clients they all either don't think it matters, didn't really notice or say I'm being silly - noone has ever commented on "my lack of professionalism" as I see it.

Have you thought about getting a room divider?

Xxx

I always make sure the house is immaculate before a client comes over...fresh hand towels in the bathroom...aromatherapy candles lit etc...I have a couple of room dividers...mainly to hide my craft corner in my lounge. I think I just need to move my office desk out of my lounge and maybe change the furniture around.

I spoke to a client today (I went to hers) and she was saying that she has her eyelashes done at a beauty therapists home and she really likes how personal it is...maybe its just me being over paranoid by thinking its not professional? x

I don't have any spare rooms either, in fact my front room is my bed room and the 4 kids (18 - 24) have claimed the upstairs as their own, the solution, I have a cosy salon area under the stairs right next to the kitchen, that leads onto the utility and downstairs loo, it is working well, but I still have my eye on the box room, should any of my children decide to move out lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Your working area sounds cosy...but do you mind me asking, what do your kids do when you have a client over? Are they there?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I currently don't have any spare rooms in my house. I was wanting to move in order to get a extra room, but moving is so expensive now-a-days. So i decided i would have to only be mobile. Which is slightly tricky at the moment as i'm waiting for all the snow to clear so i can book my driving test. So its limiting.

I do my mums eyelash extensions in my front room. I have a beauty couch and I always set it up in a relaxing, calming way. But I feel if i was to offering it to paying clients, that they might not feel very comfortable. Like maybe my husband or son could walk in (of course i would make sure they were out for the duration) or they might feel exposed in a way. Even though it would only be eyelash extensions. Not waxing or anything. I wasn't sure it would look very professional.

I do love the look of Room dividers though. I'm sure they have a fancy name, but i cant think of it. I googled it and found a random one that looked pretty so will attach the link so you all know what im talking about. But this would be nice, to make it more closed off and cosey. Could be an option for making it slightly more private.

Thats another issue I have...both myself and my partner are self employed and work from (unless I'm going out to a client or he has meetings) but whenever I have clients over, I usually kick him out and he just goes and waits in Starbucks until I tell him to come home...I feel a bit bad and sometimes say he can work from the bedroom, but he just can't take work calls etc because he talks too loudly! :eek: x

I always make sure the house is immaculate before a client comes over...fresh hand towels in the bathroom...aromatherapy candles lit etc...I have a couple of room dividers...mainly to hide my craft corner in my lounge. I think I just need to move my office desk out of my lounge and maybe change the furniture around.

I spoke to a client today (I went to hers) and she was saying that she has her eyelashes done at a beauty therapists home and she really likes how personal it is...maybe its just me being over paranoid by thinking its not professional? x

When you said she mentioned how personal it was, was it because she had a separate room?
If you think about it, when your mobile, you go into people houses and do treatments in less then salon ideal situations. Like their living rooms etc. Granted its THEIR living room so they would feel more comfortable. But maybe were thinking too much into it not being professional then they would. By taking time to make it professional, comfortable and private, then i'm sure if the clients had the option they would appreciate coming to you instead of having to ensure their houses are clean and tidy etc. If you know what i mean... especially if you charge more for petrol being mobile etc.

Thats another issue I have...both myself and my partner are self employed and work from (unless I'm going out to a client or he has meetings) but whenever I have clients over, I usually kick him out and he just goes and waits in Starbucks until I tell him to come home...I feel a bit bad and sometimes say he can work from the bedroom, but he just can't take work calls etc because he talks too loudly! :eek: x

Hmm, reading this i was initially going to suggest him setting up in the bedroom and doing some work from there. Could you play relaxing music for your client with the room door shut? Or would you still hear your husband should he be on the phone?

When you said she mentioned how personal it was, was it because she had a separate room?
If you think about it, when your mobile, you go into people houses and do treatments in less then salon ideal situations. Like their living rooms etc. Granted its THEIR living room so they would feel more comfortable. But maybe were thinking too much into it not being professional then they would. By taking time to make it professional, comfortable and private, then i'm sure if the clients had the option they would appreciate coming to you instead of having to ensure their houses are clean and tidy etc. If you know what i mean... especially if you charge more for petrol being mobile etc.

I'm not sure if she meant a spare room...but yes I think they might appreciate it more...especially having time away from their own homes for some peace and pamper time.

And in regards to petrol... I don't drive...I got a cab to my clients place today as it was snowing...but got a bus home...so that was £8 gone on travel :/

Hmm, reading this i was initially going to suggest him setting up in the bedroom and doing some work from there. Could you play relaxing music for your client with the room door shut? Or would you still hear your husband should he be on the phone?

He likes to pace whilst talking too! And our bedroom is directly above the lounge...I'd have to tie him to the bed :eek:

I don't drive either at the moment. The snow and money happens to be preventing me taking my test :| So the thought of traveling to prospective clients homes (Im just barely starting to offer lash extensions so dont have many clients) makes it very limiting and daunting! Buses can be costly and unreliable and so can cabs. My mum always offers to drop me off places as she likes to know i'm safe, but the thought of having it all set up in my own house is so much more practical for me. Even if i do set it up when i have clients booked in and take it all down after. By that i mean the bed and room divider etc.

Maybe you could introduce it to your clients and see how many would appreciate it more. Then gradually let them know you will be doing more and more treatments at home rather then travelling as this ensures your never late for appointments due to public transport etc.

He likes to pace whilst talking too! And our bedroom is directly above the lounge...I'd have to tie him to the bed :eek:

oo hello! Lol. I dont suppose you have a garage or anything? Send him out there to have his calls haha

Or if not, is there another room he could temporarily take calls from? That's not directly above you? It might not be ideal, however does he always get calls during your times of appointments or is it generally an every other time

I don't drive either at the moment. The snow and money happens to be preventing me taking my test :| So the thought of traveling to prospective clients homes (Im just barely starting to offer lash extensions so dont have many clients) makes it very limiting and daunting! Buses can be costly and unreliable and so can cabs. My mum always offers to drop me off places as she likes to know i'm safe, but the thought of having it all set up in my own house is so much more practical for me. Even if i do set it up when i have clients booked in and take it all down after. By that i mean the bed and room divider etc.

Maybe you could introduce it to your clients and see how many would appreciate it more. Then gradually let them know you will be doing more and more treatments at home rather then travelling as this ensures your never late for appointments due to public transport etc.

It does make far more sense to have our clients come to us as we don't drive.

I'm actually having a meeting with a hair salon tomorrow about renting out a space as I think that might be the ideal setting for me, well until I change my lounge around and get rid of my huge computer desk...so maybe in the future I'll do a couple of days salon based, from home and mobile...I think I'd quite like the variety too x

Yeah, i always worry when advertising that i sound unprofessional because i don't drive.
I don't like the idea of turning up to someones house and getting out my mums car, then needing to text or call her for a pick up. I mean don't get me wrong, i'm a big girl (21 next month) but its easier for me as she doesn't charge me anything. I just feel it doesn't give off a professional look.

I too would love the variety of mobile, home, salon etc... and have thought about renting a room as it could also help increase client base. But like i said, i'm just starting out so have very little, if at all no clients at the moment :( bleh! So would worry i would be throwing away money on a room (which i don't really have) and have no clients coming in etc.

Yeah, i always worry when advertising that i sound unprofessional because i don't drive.
I don't like the idea of turning up to someones house and getting out my mums car, then needing to text or call her for a pick up. I mean don't get me wrong, i'm a big girl (21 next month) but its easier for me as she doesn't charge me anything. I just feel it doesn't give off a professional look.

I too would love the variety of mobile, home, salon etc... and have thought about renting a room as it could also help increase client base. But like i said, i'm just starting out so have very little, if at all no clients at the moment :( bleh! So would worry i would be throwing away money on a room (which i don't really have) and have no clients coming in etc.

TBH I don't think it matters how you get there...as long as you do on time and you're looking professional etc.

I've only just started out...only a couple of months ago...if you could save up for a couple of months, so in case you didn't have many clients you'd have something to fall back on in regards to renting a space...I don't know which area you're from, but if you rented a space in a hair salon you'd definitely have clients wanting their nails done too....even a one set of Shellac (£30) would pay for a days rent.

Over the past couple of days, I've emailed all the high end hair salons in my area on the off chance that they might rent a space to me...a couple have got back to me to meet...hopefully the rest will too!

Yeah thats a good idea, maybe i should do a bit of research on areas close to me and if they rent room, what they rent them for and save up a bit.
I do eyelash extensions at the moment so would use a room mainly for that. I suppose hair salons would be a good place for that too. Eyelashes are hair afterall haha.

Yeah thats a good idea, maybe i should do a bit of research on areas close to me and if they rent room, what they rent them for and save up a bit.
I do eyelash extensions at the moment so would use a room mainly for that. I suppose hair salons would be a good place for that too. Eyelashes are hair afterall haha.

Haha yes! Eyelashes are SO popular now too! I think you'd do well!

Aww thank you.. hope so. Now just got to get my case studies done.
I'm having trouble getting people close to me rather then 2 hours away from me to volunteer. You would think people would jump at the idea of a free full set of lashes lol.

Latest posts

Back