Hope someone will explain this to me, courses & license

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frattylicious

Reaction score
Okay So I have asked this question once already and did not get the answer I was looking for.... SOOO hopefully someone will sorta explain this to me ... it doesn't have to be an encyclopedia just a brief summary..
SO HERE IT GOES...
Since I am from NY... Our states vary based on hours... just quickly Ill do a brief breakdown ... In NY to be come a licensed stylist you are required to complete a 1000 hour course through a NYS EDU approved school.. after that is completed we have to take a 100 question exam and then do a 4 hour practical exam.... so it can take anywhere from a 7 months for a full time to 14 months part time....

The requirements for hours vary from state to state....

That being said we have about 5 different licenses that we can obtain
  • Natural Hair Braiding license 500 hours? .. but with this you can not perform chemicals or cuts
  • Barbering license I think its 900 hrs ... covers basic barbering
  • Nail License 250 hours.. Only covers nails obviously
  • Aesthetics 600 hours covers anything with skin excluding body massage
  • Full Cos License... 1000 hours... Covers all of the above plus all aspects of hair....

Now that being said I just want to explain where I am coming from ....
With the full Cos License ... Once someone finishes the 1000 hours and the final testing and NYS mails you your license... then BOOM I can go do what want as a stylist... for example :If I know how to do eyelash extensions , then no further training is required.. I don't need any more additional ( from a legal or insurance stance) training basically at that point, I graduate I am not required to get trained for any other services.. that is all optional or up to a private company....

So can someone please explain to me
What exactly your level 1,2,3 's are?

and I can't count on my fingers how many times I have seen someone say they can't do XYZ because they aren't trained... I am just curious because I've seen this over and over again on here =) So is training elective for you guys or is it mandated ?, or for insurance purposes.?..also do you guys have to hold an insurance policy by law...?

Hoping someone will answer this... and hopefully lol I didn't confuse you all!

I'm just gonna throw this out there too before I get some snotty remark about training... I understand people train to get educated, and its important... I am only asking this question from a requirement stand point...

mmmm i think i understand you. u want to know... why someone that has a cosmetology license will say "I dont do facials cuz im not trained"? even though the cosmetology license also covers facials?

if this is what you mean then... ill give u my own experience. I have the esthetician license so i can do facials, waxing. unfortunately school does not teach or educate students 100 percent and so when we leave school we are not 100% suitable for doing some services for example...... Even though i have the license... i dont know how to do eyebrows. so even though i have the license i will not dare someones eyebrows. i would have to really know how to perform this service so i can do the service . I worked in a salon and i "learned" how to do facials and waxing. i also have the manicuring license. i can do mani and pedis and now shellac, but not acrylics. '

Even though i got my license I still look for classes. if i want to learn acrylics then I will have to take a class to refresh and help me with acrylics
in this field we need to be up to date with new techniques and services so classes are still needed.

I wondered this question also before attending beauty school. the teachers reply was "no, but you need to be up to date so classes will be needed".

oh and many products require you to take classes. many times products companies held classes so we can learn how to use the product

classes that I take are ALWAYS interesting. I enjoy learning and clients want their beautician to be up to date and still taking classes.

oh its not required to take more classes. if you "know" everything and feel its enough then go for it! BUT there is no ending... new products and techniques will always be available. you need to be up todate

Last edited:
Actually hun thanks for the response I was hoping to understand the difference from the US vs the UK

and I also understand the being current aspect of it... I should of clarified th I was intending this question for the posters from the UK .. because what it looks like to me is that they have 3 different levels of licensing and then I guess I was more curious if it was a matter of HAVING TO DO IT.. OR WANTING TO... if that makes sense.... 90% of the posters are from the UK so I guess its just me trying to get to grips with how things work there.. I know what you mean.. because were both from the US things only very slighty...

Hi

In the UK we have a couple of different exam bodies for a hell of a lot of courses...not just beauty

BTEC/NVQ, these go from Level 1-5, level 1 being the easiest as it just covers health and safety and basically how to use a brush and make a cup of tea.

I am no beautician so I cannot fully explain what is covered in all the modules but I am guessing when you see someone say they are not qualified to do facials is because they haven't reached the correct level in their qualification

Hope this helps understand the UK way of things

To get level 2 is normally between 1-2 years Part time
And level 3 is another year Part time

Hi

In the UK we have a couple of different exam bodies for a hell of a lot of courses...not just beauty

BTEC/NVQ, these go from Level 1-5, level 1 being the easiest as it just covers health and safety and basically how to use a brush and make a cup of tea.

I am no beautician so I cannot fully explain what is covered in all the modules but I am guessing when you see someone say they are not qualified to do facials is because they haven't reached the correct level in their qualification

Hope this helps understand the UK way of things

To get level 2 is normally between 1-2 years Part time
And level 3 is another year Part time

I did level.2 full time over a year. It covered eye treatments, manicure, pedicure, facials and waxing treatmentwise. Therefore i cant offer massage or electrolysis as these wherent covered and i couldnt do level 3 full time and part time wasnt an option at my college. Insurancewise it is down to the therapist ad you dont legally need it howevet i dont think there is a member on here without insurance as its not worth the risk! To be insured for a treatment ie eyelasg extensions likt the OP mentioned then you have to have done a recognised qualification in this. The amount of hours arent set over here like they are over there. For example for nails you can do a one day course or one lasting weeks or months. Hth a bit x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

great ... amen Im glad im starting to understand this!

Here in the UK there is no licensing or authority that you can report untrained or uninsured people to so in theory there is NO law that makes anyone get training of any kind to be able to start a business doing beauty treatments.

You can not get insurance without an approved certificate but that doesn't stop some people as there is also NO law to have insurance to work.

The majority of people who choose to work in the profession do things the correct way though and that means attending a course that will gain them a certificated approved by an awarding body or insurance company which will then enable them to get insurance to do that treatment.

Insurers here like you to have certificates for every treatment you do and so when new treatments come to the market (for example crystal pedicures) then new courses spring up to teach you how to do them and so the insurance companies say we want you to attend a course and get a certificate. With crystal pedicures most insurers will accept a gel certificate if you use gel to apply them but they would not accept a gel certificate if you use resin to apply them, so either a finberglass nail course or a crystal pedicure class that teaches with resin would be required to gain insurance.

Here in the UK you need to prove you know how to do every treatment you do and that can be done by a general beauty course that teaches many different treatments in year 1, 2, 3 etc... or by completing short courses in specific treatments (and short courses can range from just a few hours to days, weeks or months and some with case studies to be completed).

Here in the UK there is no licensing or authority that you can report untrained or uninsured people to so in theory there is NO law that makes anyone get training of any kind to be able to start a business doing beauty treatments.

You can not get insurance without an approved certificate but that doesn't stop some people as there is also NO law to have insurance to work.

The majority of people who choose to work in the profession do things the correct way though and that means attending a course that will gain them a certificated approved by an awarding body or insurance company which will then enable them to get insurance to do that treatment.

Insurers here like you to have certificates for every treatment you do and so when new treatments come to the market (for example crystal pedicures) then new courses spring up to teach you how to do them and so the insurance companies say we want you to attend a course and get a certificate. With crystal pedicures most insurers will accept a gel certificate if you use gel to apply them but they would not accept a gel certificate if you use resin to apply them, so either a finberglass nail course or a crystal pedicure class that teaches with resin would be required to gain insurance.

Here in the UK you need to prove you know how to do every treatment you do and that can be done by a general beauty course that teaches many different treatments in year 1, 2, 3 etc... or by completing short courses in specific treatments (and short courses can range from just a few hours to days, weeks or months and some with case studies to be completed).
This is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for! =) thanks a ton! just couldn't wrap y head around it lol... but thats amazing! thats so much for this! ... In the NY If worked as a stylist with no license and got caught... I or anyone else could be fines up something like 500k

Hi,

In the UK, beauty therapy and hairdressing are not linked so most hairdressers are not qualified in beauty (nails, facials, massage etc) unless they have undertaken additional training or (less common) they studied a combined hairdressing & beauty therapy course.

You need to have completed a level 2 NVQ or equivalent to be classed as a qualified hairdresser. As Baggybear mentioned, this is not a legal requirement as the industry is not regulated, as such. However, in order to obtain public liability insurance, this is the minimum level that insurance companies will expect you to have achieved.

A level 3 is an advanced hairdressing qualification that includes a range of techniques such as colour correction, hair extensions and additional cutting and styling techniques. However, the actual curriculum depends on the training provider. There is no requirement to complete this level but many hairdressers do as part of their continuing education.

City and Guilds are the national agency that awards the vocational qualifications which including plumbing, electrician, mechanic etc.

HABIA are the body that represents the hair and beauty industry and liaise with City & Guilds to formulate the curriculum to ensure it continues to be relevant.

Hope this is helpful and hasn't added to the confusion.

Latest posts

Back