Hours of work.....what do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work 9 till 3 Monday to Friday (school hours) and then Tuesday and Thursday 6-10. I also work alternate Saturdays. My son goes to high school in September so i'll be changing to 8-4 with my late nights finishing at 9.

There are no hard and fast rules and if you don't want to work as many evening then don't. When mine were very young I didn't do evenings as it didn't suit us as a family.

Good luck with your business.

Last edited:
Just caught up with my own thread here!

It's been really interesting and enlightening reading about everyone's personal experiences.

The correct work/life balance has always been incredibly important to me. Above all my husband and kids have come and will always come first.

I am starting to think that offering more and more evenings to cope with client demand is a bit like opening up a new lane on a motorway.....it just gets filled up and and creates even more traffic!

Fortunately, the money thing isn't as important to me as my job is very much a second income and the whole point of being self-employed was so I wasn't dictated to!

I think I may offer one evening appointment a week and basically offer
9:00 - 5:30 pm Mondays to Fridays. My husband isn't keen on my doing weekends and as its his home too, I think that's only fair.

I may not end up the richest beauty therapist in the world but I know I will be happier putting a few boundaries in place. Time has come to stop saying "yes" to everyone and start concentrating on those clients who can and will fit in with my hours of work.

Thanks everyone.....it's been so helpful to read your replies and Jacquelineanna......take a holiday! :D

PB
x

I work mon 8.30 till 5pm, Tuesday off,Wednesday 11 am till 9.30, Thursday 8am till 7 pm Friday 8 am till 6.30pm Sat 8am till 2/3pm .
I have just employed someone who will open and work Tuesday and offer another late eve.
Busy Busy, luckily my son is now 15 so less demanding and can look after himself, I know it's hard with a young family.

I do 40 hours client time but with everything else at least 50 hours. Used to work 70 but cut down to one evening per week. I hated to say no but I had to draw the line. I put my prices up! Lol!

I must be the most part time nail tech ever!! 10-6 thursday 10-3 friday and 8.30-4.30 saturday. I have 4 children and my partner either works away or nights so have to collect them all from childcare. I am constantly busy but feel guilt constantly!! I want to do.more hours and feel anxious and stressed that i don't put everything into the businesa but then feek guilty i'm.not at every assembly etc! So difficult to get a balance!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I work a full time job and I then do mobile appointments until 9 or 10pm!!! So I work from 8am until 9/10pm and I have 45 minute lunch break! Because I get in so late i cant wind down, so i am always awake until about 1am and then back up at 6am for another 13 or 14 hour day!!! I have weekends off as my partner lives 300 miles away so I couldn't commit to weekends as I go to his very often, but when I'm home on a weekend if someone wants an appointment I will do it... Like this weekend! Lol.

I am going away next weekend to Paris and I can not wait for the break!!! It's much needed !!! And only 72 days until my holiday... Not that I'm counting or anything :D xxx

I must be the most part time nail tech ever!! 10-6 thursday 10-3 friday and 8.30-4.30 saturday. I have 4 children and my partner either works away or nights so have to collect them all from childcare. I am constantly busy but feel guilt constantly!! I want to do.more hours and feel anxious and stressed that i don't put everything into the businesa but then feek guilty i'm.not at every assembly etc! So difficult to get a balance!!

I think you deserve a medal for doing what you do with 4 kids gemmalou. I wouldn't feel guilty (you sound like my sis in law! Lol) sounds like you're doing a ace job! X

I thought I was good at setting my hours and sticking to them but so far this week I've booked in one person on my day off next week, working an extra two hours tomorrow, and booked someone else in for next Friday evening because it was the only time she could do (I only usually do Thursday evenings), I love being busy and I'm very grateful in this financial climate but I need to learn to say no :-\ Once clients take an inch they'll go for the mile!

I think you deserve a medal for doing what you do with 4 kids gemmalou. I wouldn't feel guilty (you sound like my sis in law! Lol) sounds like you're doing a ace job! X

Thankyou xx

Im sooo glad its not only me working insaine hours!
Ive become self employed in the the last two months and it had exploded!!!
Im finding myself working 12-13hrs every day!! I just cant say no lol. Guess im scared that i may not have any work next week, month ect.
I do think its easier to state and stick to 'opening hours' when your salon based. I tend to start my day at 8.30am and generally dont finish until 8.30pm-9.30pm. Sometimes my only break is to pick my daughter up from school. Even while im waiting in the car im use that time to get back to clients.

I do TRY and only work until 2pm on a sat and have sun off. But then if someone is desperate i will fit them in.

Family life is effected for me in the way of not having time to go food shopping, clean, iron ect. So sun is normally filled with those kind of things :-(

I am so grateful though its taken off for me and id never go back to working for someone else, but its bloody hard work lol

I started work in the office at 8am today... Worked until 5pm with a 15 min break then straight to clients and walked in the door about 20 mins ago!! So just over a 15 hour day for me today and probably about a 13 tomorrow!!!! ;)

I work Weekdays 10-8 (last appt at 8pm so I can be home at silly times depending on the treatment) and Saturdays 10-6.

I take Thursdays and Sundays off.

Xx

Latest posts

Back