Hours of work.....what do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petit Basque

Reaction score
I've recently left college which means I now have 5 days a week back to work :D

Over the last few months, my evening appointments have been slowly building up with me doing at least 2-3 per week. I work from home and frankly this is becoming a bit disruptive to my family life. It is also very tiring for me as at the end of a long day, doing a full body massage at 7:30 pm isn't ideal. This usually means they don't leave until nearly 9:00 pm!

I completely understand that not all clients can come during the day but I am getting to the point where I don't actually want to work that many evenings per week but was afraid to turn the work down.

My day-time appointments are filling up quite nicely which sort of leaves the question of what to do about evening clients. Should I just officially do one a week and make the last appointment at 6:00 pm and maybe a Saturday or Sunday morning?

I am just curious as to what hours other geeks feel comfortable working? I am fortunate enough to have a well paid hubby and my job is very much a second income so for me personally, the money isn't a huge issue....just my professional pride really :D

Your thoughts, experiences and opinions very welcome.

PB
x

I work late nights, try to fit my clients in where I can but there are limits. If you feel it's creeping on top of you then try & cut it down slightly. I do find evenings & weekends to be pretty popular!!
This week im working late every night, I think my earliest finish is 8pm, last night I was at it until 10pm but I have just been on holiday so trying to catch up!!
Do what's best for you & what fits into your family life x

i state on my website and price lists my opening hours and my closed hours!! i explain to clients that i work 3 eves a week until 9pm sometimes later but that there are times when i need to be with family!!hth

I use to work as much as I possibly could including evenings. My husband now has a new job and works away during the week so my childcare is gone. Nevertheless, my clients and I have adapted quite well to this change. It turns out that some can sometimes work from home or I'll go first thing on a sat morning or they come to me. I now only do about one evening a fortnight (with paid babysitter) and i haven't lost any of my lovely loyal clients.

Perhaps you need to just have set days/hours like Tues and Thurs nights only.

I started with the intention of evenings only as I don't have childcare during the day, however I have a couple clients who are mummy friends or who have their own kids and come daytime whilst they are at nursery etc, I keep it to a minimum as its not fair on my children or them as I can't fully concentrate. But I have a Tuesday night off, that's family night. I don't always tell clients its my night off, I just always say 'sorry, can't do Tuesday' and offer an alternative you just have to do what's best for you. xxx

I work far too much.

Every day this week I have started at 8.30 and left my salon between 7.30 and 8.00pm

I am tired.

I work far too much.

Every day this week I have started at 8.30 and left my salon between 7.30 and 8.00pm

I am tired.

I like that jacquelineanna.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I work evenings and start at 6.30 my latest spray tan appointment has been about 9.30pm. I also state that I work weekends but have never had a request for a tan on a Sunday and have only done a couple of tan's on a Saturday. Thursday and Friday evenings are my busiest as everyone wants their tan's for the weekend.

I can't say no either. I get to work at 9am, don't take a lunch break (if I'm lucky I scoff down a few bikkies between clients) and usually leave at 8pm. I had a fairly big price increase on the 1st of July so maybe I'll start having a few earlier nights soon.

I have 2 late nights a week, no more because it just got too much... Money is not everything.
But I know it's hard to fit everyone in, I can already see clients booked in on my day off :-( but that's my fault!xx

I work in my salon 6 days a week and on Sunday I do my accounts and admin.
I try to start at 0930hrs but my PA booked someone in for 0830hrs today, and I usually finish at 7ish. Then I do stuff for my distribution business in the evenings!
Who knew there was so much to organise for exhibiting at Pro Beauty.

It's true that money isn't everything but it IS important. Had I not worked my ar$e off in my salon I would have had to borrow the money to buy stock for the distribution business. As it is I don't owe anyone anything, unless you count the 20 quid I nicked from Alex the other day!

I've recently left college which means I now have 5 days a week back to work :D

Over the last few months, my evening appointments have been slowly building up with me doing at least 2-3 per week. I work from home and frankly this is becoming a bit disruptive to my family life. It is also very tiring for me as at the end of a long day, doing a full body massage at 7:30 pm isn't ideal. This usually means they don't leave until nearly 9:00 pm!

I completely understand that not all clients can come during the day but I am getting to the point where I don't actually want to work that many evenings per week but was afraid to turn the work down.

My day-time appointments are filling up quite nicely which sort of leaves the question of what to do about evening clients. Should I just officially do one a week and make the last appointment at 6:00 pm and maybe a Saturday or Sunday morning?

I am just curious as to what hours other geeks feel comfortable working? I am fortunate enough to have a well paid hubby and my job is very much a second income so for me personally, the money isn't a huge issue....just my professional pride really :D

Your thoughts, experiences and opinions very welcome.

PB
x
I can totally relate to what you have said. I have a continuous battle with myself over working hours. Sometimes I am exhausted. Like many of us Geeks I try to be a good mum, wife and therapist but sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day.I work from my home based salon, my husband has a good job but works away a fair bit so I have a cleaner 4 hrs a week - my house would be a bomb site if it wasn't for them. I'm all for working hard but as a parent I believe at least one of you should put the kids first. I LOVE my job but have had to be firm and not work past 9pm and that would only be a maximum of 2 nights per week - I don't work Saturday or Sunday but am very busy all week. It is hard to say no sometimes and turn down money, plus you want to do the best for your clients. It's tough but we all have amazing jobs - I wouldn't swap it for the world :)

I don't work past 7pm and rarely get appointments that late. When someone books I ask morning or afternoon, then give them a option of a time eg morning I'll say I have a 10am free if that dosn't suit them they will always say have you got something earlier or later. Most people here will book a massage for 5 or 6 if they work. Most of my clients have strange rosters or are self employed so fit in during the day fine. I don't do weekends either unless it's a wedding or huge booking that makes it worthwhile.

I work Tuesday to Saturday and 2 or 3 late night's not past 8pm and im super strict with my days off ,the only time I work sun or mon is to do a hair- up because it has to be done in the day :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I work Monday to Friday and do 6.30 till 10, I also do Tuesday's and Fridays 9.30 to 2.30 and Wednesday mornings.

Evenings are very busy but I think that's my niche as other salons are closed and I find that mums and professionals like the fact I work evenings. This is why I don't work weekends at all, I need time off!

Evenings and weekends are my thing and if I can get family to sit i do daytime appts too. I spend most days with my 18 month old daughter then take appts from 4 till whenever I'm needed! Im dead on my feet at the mo but at least my business is doing well and I get to look after my baby rather than send her to nursery. I have hardly seen my hubby tho lately but we both understand. My mother in law is going part time soon so she can have Lola for a couple of days and I can work in the day a bit more (hopefully freeing up some evening time) x

I rent a room within a hair salon and have always gone by their hours. I was shocked at first at how normal they were as i was used to working late in previous salons.

I work Tuesday to Friday 9:30-5:30 and Saturday 9:00-5:00

When i started there, one of the self employed hairdressers and I opened up one day a week until 7 to see if people wanted those appointments but we were dead quiet, so after a few months we stopped.

I am seriously considering opening up one late night per week as i've been there a while and have a good client base now...possibly 2 nights if it proved popular. However i don't have any children, just my boyfriend and we are saving for a house so all money is good.

This is not including any paperwork, research, courses or salon geek research ;) xx

Ps, do what feels right for you. I work so much because I'm building my business and I need the money too
;-) but if you don't need to, then just state the hours you want to work and they can only book in between those times! X

This is not including any paperwork, research, courses or salon geek research ;) xx

Too true!! I live breath and sleep nails and beauty!! Thank god for the Disney channel so mummy can 'research' x

We are here from 8am every day and rarely leave untill after 6.30pm apart from thursdays when we leave at about 9pm,and saturdays are 8 am till 4pm but we havent left before 6 on a saturday in months.

We work way too hard!
As the saying goes,work to live dont live to work.Must have been created by a very rich person me thinks x

Latest posts

Back