How can I make my own gel colors with color dust?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderland

Reaction score
Can anyone help me please. I heard that you can mix color powder/dust with clear gel to create your own color. But I'm not sure if I can use acrylic powder or specific powders for gel? If yes how can I do that?
Thanks!

You can mix glitter dust, very fine glitters or colour pigments with clear gel to make your own colour/glitter gels.

I've used MAC powders, mineral eyeshadows & very fine glitters, the glitters can be picked up from any art & craft place or are quite cheap on ebay.

It will be trial and error to get the shade of colour you want and the less additives there are in the pigments you choose the less product you will need to add to your gel.

If you get nice strong pigments then you need only a tiny amount if your using cheaper products (old eyeshadow pallettes or cheap eyeshadows) then you may need to add a bit more or the colour may not look the same as the shadow does in the palette/pot.

You can mix glitter dust, very fine glitters or colour pigments with clear gel to make your own colour/glitter gels.

I've used MAC powders, mineral eyeshadows & very fine glitters, the glitters can be picked up from any art & craft place or are quite cheap on ebay.

It will be trial and error to get the shade of colour you want and the less additives there are in the pigments you choose the less product you will need to add to your gel.

If you get nice strong pigments then you need only a tiny amount if your using cheaper products (old eyeshadow pallettes or cheap eyeshadows) then you may need to add a bit more or the colour may not look the same as the shadow does in the palette/pot.

Can I use acrylic powders? :o

I wouldn't as acrylic powders will have the acrylic powder in them and need to be mixed with monomer to make them turn into acrylic. It will most likely be very cheap acrylic powder too so could be from abroad and could have MMA in it.

I wouldn't mess with my gel by adding acrylic powder as it may invalidate my insurance too as the ingredients would no longer be what they should be and there is no way of knowing what ingredients are in the colour acrylic powders or how they would react together.

I don't know what acrylic powder added to gel would do to it.

You need to know the gel your using will still act the way it should under UV or LED light and will last the same as it would usually when applied without any additives.

Normal glitter or pigments can be bought very cheaply. You don't need a lot to mix with your gel so samples sizes are enough, samples of mineral make up pigments are perfect and can be got really cheap & small pots of glitter go a LOOOOONG way :).

Glitters:
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Extra ULTRA FINE ART Craft GLITTER POWDER DustFree SAND | eBay
5g Cosmetic Glitter Dust - Dazzle Your Henna! | eBay

Pigments:
2 SAMPLES OF ANY BLUSHER mineral make-up loose powder | eBay
3 SAMPLES OF EYESHADOW mineral make-up loose powder | eBay
FUNKY FRESH MINERAL EYE COLOUR SAMPLES- PRECIOUS JEWELS | eBay
JTshop Mineral Eyeshadow/Liner - sample set - 0.15g x 5 | eBay

I wouldn't as acrylic powders will have the acrylic powder in them and need to be mixed with monomer to make them turn into acrylic. It will most likely be very cheap acrylic powder too so could be from abroad and could have MMA in it.

I wouldn't mess with my gel by adding acrylic powder as it may invalidate my insurance too as the ingredients would no longer be what they should be and there is no way of knowing what ingredients are in the colour acrylic powders or how they would react together.

I don't know what acrylic powder added to gel would do to it.

You need to know the gel your using will still act the way it should under UV or LED light and will last the same as it would usually when applied without any additives.

Normal glitter or pigments can be bought very cheaply. You don't need a lot to mix with your gel so samples sizes are enough, samples of mineral make up pigments are perfect and can be got really cheap & small pots of glitter go a LOOOOONG way :).

Glitters:
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Extra ULTRA FINE ART Craft GLITTER POWDER DustFree SAND | eBay
5g Cosmetic Glitter Dust - Dazzle Your Henna! | eBay

Pigments:
2 SAMPLES OF ANY BLUSHER mineral make-up loose powder | eBay
3 SAMPLES OF EYESHADOW mineral make-up loose powder | eBay
FUNKY FRESH MINERAL EYE COLOUR SAMPLES- PRECIOUS JEWELS | eBay
JTshop Mineral Eyeshadow/Liner - sample set - 0.15g x 5 | eBay

Thank u sooooo much! really appreciate ur time n effort to help. All d best! :Love:

Latest posts

Back