How did my client peel her Shellac off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELJ-11

Reaction score
Firstly I just want to say that I never have problems with Shellac on my clients and I did her exactly the same as I do all others so I very much doubt it is anything to do with my application. She first said that two just "came off" when she was in the bath (a few hours after application) so she peeled the rest off. Her nails are in fine condition underneath and it doesn't look like she's peeled any of the surface of the nail off at all.

Background info: My client is 15 and allergic to lots of things including gluten, wheat etc. Her mum is a biomedical consultant and gives her lots of medication to balance her out and get rid of any toxins etc. As the girl is so sensitive, there are lots of things she can't eat but I thought Shellac would be ok as it's hypo-allergenic?

Is it possiblee that the body was repelling the Shellac, seeing it as a foreign object that was trying to adhere to the natural nail? This would explain how she could peel them off so easily...

She has nice healthy nails but they are very oily so I used Nail Fresh underneath. It's the first time I have done this under Shellac but I heard it was possible as it is just a temporary dehydrator? I scrubfreshed, nailfreshed and scrubfreshed again. Could this affect the bond between the nail and Shellac at all?

The last possibility I can think of is that we were doing Minx over the Shellac on two nails. I did Shellac as normal, finishing with top coat & wiping with d.sperse. I was having trouble getting my lamp in the right position so it was quite low and I had to keep moving her hand from under the light so it didn't get too hot! I don't think it's likely but could the heat off the infra red lamp have "melted" the Shellac at all?

Really looking forward to hearing your responses as this one has really got me! :confused:

Thanks,

Ebuni xxx

I've had a client where I used OPI GelColor, after a few days one of hers lifted and she spent the next few days trying pick the rest (against my recommendations), the only reason I could find was her nail plate was to shinny when I applied the lacquer. On the OPI/Lena White FAQ page it says "... For customers with a shiny, oily or flaky nail plate, buff gently with the OPI Flex 220/280 grit smoother." I have found this to work perfectly and haven't had a problem since :)

i would say your problem is your clients age and her hormones!! i stopped doing teenagers for this very reason! I have also had this happen with my sister in law who is in her 40s xx

Some clients really don't get on with some products. I had a client where one Shellac nail just came off - all the rest were fine. I replaced the one nail and they then lasted about 2 weeks. Who knows why. Could be products used by client or poor aftercare/picking etc. I have done Shellac on my friends children, and have been told that Minx and Shellac don't last so well on young people as there is more fat in children's nails. Certainly their Shellacs didn't last at all well. It could also be because they won't get looked after nearly as well as an adult would. I have picked Shellac off me, and I don't think you'd be able to tell! Sadly, some people just don't get on with certain products, and this could be the case!!!

You say this happened in the bath a few hours after application, I was always taught that although shellac, OPI gelcolor gel polish in general is dry straight after application it actually takes upto 24hrs to fully harden and because of this I actually advise clients to avoid any soaking of the nails particularly baths until the nxt day as it can soften the nails beneath the gel causing them to just lift off!
HTH
🌸

🌸

Extra oily nail plates due to her hormones maybe? it can happen in pregnancy more commonly but it's not unheard of. x

i would say your problem is your clients age and her hormones!! i stopped doing teenagers for this very reason! I have also had this happen with my sister in law who is in her 40s xx

I would agree, I have never any problem with clients shellac lifting apart from my sister and she is only 15. I don't do young people now xx

Just want to mention that yes teenagers are terrible for peeling/picking but I have had my shellac peel many times after a bath mainly because I kept my hand under water. Don't forget the micro pores in shellac, water can get into those too not just acetone and lift it just the same

Thank you so much for your replies guys!

So it seems the most likely cause is hormones... I spoke to her mum about it yesterday and she said she was also on her period when I did them so it makes even more sense!

Do you think it's likely to happen again or is it worth giving another go?

Thanks x

Latest posts

Back