How do I achieve this-fellow hair geeks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissmorleyx

Reaction score
I absolutely love this!
How do i achieve it?
Techniques please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 506
I like to backcomb, it gives a more subtle blend.

I like to backcomb, it gives a more subtle blend.

I tend to back comb too, my friend is doing it for me (fellow hairdresser)
Just really needed a change

Once i have pre lightened what should i use to tone? I have tinted base 5 hair that tends to lift at normal rate. It will lift copper toned so shall i use like an 8/1? Suggestions please:D

So what neutralises orange then? Go back to your colour wheel. /1 will not cancel out orange, it will only subdue ANYTHING it's put over.

So what neutralises orange then? Go back to your colour wheel. /1 will not cancel out orange, it will only subdue ANYTHING it's put over.

On the wella colour wheel, the opposite to orange is blue, /8.
Wella color touch have 8/81.
I dont want to counteract too much of the warmth you see

Yep, I think colour touch 8/81 would be best for it. I think you will still be left with a lot of warmth, you need to bear in mind a base 8 is yellow so if you want it that light, you need to use something to counteract yellow, which would be /6. Anything below yellow and you are looking at /8.

Back comb method with lightener and use a level 8 toner

Ok so..... If you need to use violet over a base 8, why does 8/81 exsist as a toner. If it's blue and used on it's intended base of 8 then blue and yellow makes green. I'm a bit confused! Why does /8 exsist on anything above 8 if all it's makes is green? Surely based on the comments above only light violet toners would exsist?

A base 8 has undertones of yellow. But you can still get a base 8 with orange in it, or if you want a pearl tone to your yellow. Asking why you get a 8/81 is like asking why there is a 6/3, just cos the undertone of a 6 is orange, doesn't mean we don't want other tones in there too.

O I see, it's just above you said a base 8 was yellow and a /8 is blue- why would this not make green?

Last edited:
Yes, a base is has undertones of yellow so if she is lifting it up she should aim to lift it to yellow. But as I say, you can get an orange base 8, for example an 8/43 type tone.

I can see what you mean by it going green, in theory it should, but to be honest I haven't seen it happen myself. Toning is about keeping an eye on your colours.

Hope this helps

Like wella, 10/8 it has blue and used on a base 10 yellow doesn't go green either lol...

Oh dear... this thread has made me question everything again ha. I read a thread like this before and people were saying you pick your tone to neutralise the undertone of the base you are lifting from.. example.. base 6 to a 9 you would use 9/8. Others were saying you pick your tone to neutralise the undertone of the level you are lifting to..example.. base 6 to a 9 you would use 9/16. I might try on swatches to stop myself questioning what I was taught.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You always have to neutralise at the level your lifting to! 6 to 9 your undercoat would be yellow..

You always have to neutralise at the level your lifting to! 6 to 9 your undercoat would be yellow..

Good advice you are gonna throw serious warmth toning is a must. Have u tried a hair like to see if you like it. Instant ombre and you can clip it out. Its a fashion craze thats sort of old know and it looks nice but not on everyone and I know load of Hairdresssers who have done it and the bits that have been lightened always show through when they die back over it your hair lloks quite dark so your gonna nee quite abit of lift. Good luck and tell whoever does it not to go berserk with the bleach less is more otherwise u end up with dip dye literally.

Yeah thats how I was taught too. I do have collegues though who work the other way.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back