How do I choose a reputable Botox practitoner???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babyg23

Reaction score
Hey,

Im very new to this and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some help!!

we've started gettin lots and lots of requests for botox so Im giving in and going to provide it but how do you choose a good, qualified and reputable practitioner???

Im in the shropshire area if anyone knows of anyone??

xxx

Hey,

Im very new to this and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some help!!

we've started gettin lots and lots of requests for botox so Im giving in and going to provide it but how do you choose a good, qualified and reputable practitioner???

Im in the shropshire area if anyone knows of anyone??

xxx

1. Make sure their a qualified nurse, doctor, dentist etc.
2. Make sure their botox certified.
3. Make sure their insured.
4. Ask them what botox they use. Avoid Dysport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Totally disagree with the lady above I totally recomend Dysort and Azzalure they are the same as botox?!?!? Just make sure they are a prescriber... this means they can legally prescribe botox to a client thats why I always use a doctor or at worst a dentist as they have had over 10 years anatomy training - far more than a nurse and clients generally prefer it. We use a great company in our salon they come twice a week, they are reliable and they are packed out xx hope it helps

Hi,i totally disagree with you RE:Doctors have 10 years training of Anatomy and are best suited for the job.I am a Nurse qualified in Aesthetics and i have more than 15 years nursing experience,more cases than not, it is in fact a nurse who actually train the doctors.Additionally, nurses are well renowed to have a better bedside manner than doctors (Many research papers confirm this).

Well I think we have to agree to disagree - why do you think Dysport / Azzalure is not good? In the states its the most used?!?!? All evidence suggests it works quicker. Re doctors are you saying you have more training than a doctor? Bearing in mind that doctors can be surgeons and nurses cannot? Sorry but for me doctor every time also clients prefer it I think ... sorry but I dont understand your logic

Hi Retreat

I agree with your comments re Dysport/Azzalure. Azzalure being the trade name. Botox is actually a trade name. Clinical papers suggests Dysport lasts slightly longer than Botox, and my patients have had great results using Dysport, so statements such as 'avoid Dysport' are unfounded and lack pharmacological knowledge.

The debate re drs/nurses - you have your opinions and I respect that. However, I am a Nurse practitioner - also a trainer - I have trained Drs! I have a respected patient list so I guess my patients are not too concerned! I am also a prescriber - meaning I can legally prescribe and administer any medication from the BNF (same as a Dr)! I would say there are good Drs and Nurses who administer Botox and bad - even Drs are not so good! It takes far more than a knowledge of facial anatomy to make a good injector, and actually Nurses are far more experienced at injecting that Drs - fact. Experience is also key in this industry - of which I have many many years. In my profession Drs and Nurses work together - we advise each other! I had a GP in my MediSpa last week who has just started her aesthetic practice - she told me she had gained some invaluable tips from me and has my contact details in case she needs further advice (her words)! So please, less ignorance.

Ok lets agree to disagree - like anything its personal pref I suppose xx

Daisyl seems to be rather annoyed at everyone mentioning botox on these forums. Each to their own with who does it, there are some nurses who I wouldn't have near me with a needle but the same goes for doctors and dentists. Having that qualification doesn't make you better than anyone else. But I do agree with the fact that dysport is safe and anyone who says don't touch it may not be trained in it or might have had a bad experience with it.

Daisyl seems to be rather annoyed at everyone mentioning botox on these forums. Each to their own with who does it, there are some nurses who I wouldn't have near me with a needle but the same goes for doctors and dentists. Having that qualification doesn't make you better than anyone else. But I do agree with the fact that dysport is safe and anyone who says don't touch it may not be trained in it or might have had a bad experience with it.

Not at all! I noticed you seem to have looked up my posts and formulated responses?

Having a medical qualification certainly does not make anyone 'better' than another. I don't believe that has ever been said has it? What is does mean though - and really there should be no argument here - a medical qualification would make an individual 'more qualified' (on the whole) in making decisions regarding someones MEDICAL care - (I mean common sense dictates that, doesn't it)!

Hi

Totally disagree with the lady above I totally recomend Dysort and Azzalure they are the same as botox?!?!? Just make sure they are a prescriber... this means they can legally prescribe botox to a client thats why I always use a doctor or at worst a dentist as they have had over 10 years anatomy training - far more than a nurse and clients generally prefer it. We use a great company in our salon they come twice a week, they are reliable and they are packed out xx hope it helps

Hmmm. No need to be a prescriber. Nurses generally have more experience of injecting than your average doctor as well.

Dysport/Azzalure is a bit different. Its cheaper. Molecules are smaller than other botox so theres more risk of spreading to unwanted areas.

p.s. not a lady...

Hi Retreat

I agree with your comments re Dysport/Azzalure. Azzalure being the trade name. Botox is actually a trade name. Clinical papers suggests Dysport lasts slightly longer than Botox, and my patients have had great results using Dysport, so statements such as 'avoid Dysport' are unfounded and lack pharmacological knowledge.

The debate re drs/nurses - you have your opinions and I respect that. However, I am a Nurse practitioner - also a trainer - I have trained Drs! I have a respected patient list so I guess my patients are not too concerned! I am also a prescriber - meaning I can legally prescribe and administer any medication from the BNF (same as a Dr)! I would say there are good Drs and Nurses who administer Botox and bad - even Drs are not so good! It takes far more than a knowledge of facial anatomy to make a good injector, and actually Nurses are far more experienced at injecting that Drs - fact. Experience is also key in this industry - of which I have many many years. In my profession Drs and Nurses work together - we advise each other! I had a GP in my MediSpa last week who has just started her aesthetic practice - she told me she had gained some invaluable tips from me and has my contact details in case she needs further advice (her words)! So please, less ignorance.

Have no direct experience of Dysport so maybe I was wrong to comment on this. This is just what I've been told.

The molecule size thing is right though isnt it?

Currently we use Xeomin and have always had good results so somewhat loathe to change now. I know Dysport is cheaper though and you're not the first I've heard to use this.

What are the advantages in your opinion of Dysport over Xeomin?

Have no direct experience of Dysport so maybe I was wrong to comment on this. This is just what I've been told.

The molecule size thing is right though isnt it?

Currently we use Xeomin and have always had good results so somewhat loathe to change now. I know Dysport is cheaper though and you're not the first I've heard to use this.

What are the advantages in your opinion of Dysport over Xeomin?

In answer to your questions -

No the molecular size you mean (ie referring to dysport/azzalure and the increased risk of ptosis) is not correct.

All botulinum type A's have exactly the same molecular structure. There is no difference in kDa load whatsoever. This is sales/marketing hype from Allergan, which is not backed up by any scientific basis. What Allergan don't show is the differing injection techniques which obviously alter the outcomes greatly!

Look at Andy Pickett's research studies on the comparisons (there are also many other studies cited on his papers). He is one of the 'worlds' leading scientists on botulinum toxins. (Really - he is). There are an awful lot of myths surrounding this issue. What this man does not know about botulinum toxins really is not worth knowing. He is extremely credible and lectures across the globe. Thousands of practitioners use dysport/azzalure - so really, I am not suprised I am not the first you have heard! Nothing new here.

Xeomin - I have not used so do not have any personal comparisons. The reason I do not use this is because the company do not (and refuse to) publish any credible data to support their claims regarding the protein load. I am aware that on a lot of individuals, xeomin has absolutely no effect. This is because there has to be a degree of protein loading to stabilise the botulinum molecule. So their science really does not add up. I think there is still development needed for xeomin to become more popular (but thats just my opinion - and many colleagues).

Cost comparisons - really there is little difference. I do not advocate the use of one toxin over another. I have used botox and dysport (and continue to do so).

If you can, I would recommend going to Nice with Galderma - really excellent cadaver workshops and lectures re - botulinum indications. Invaluable. Benjamin Asher (carruthers equivalent for dysport) provides really informative lectures.

Remote prescribing (you asked me to define) - is exactly that. Prescribing botulinum toxin without a face to face consultation, ie remotely. Really not good practice. Against NMC guidelines, and also IHAS. The GMC have also recently stated their opinion on remote prescribing for cosmetic injectables, endorsing IHAS and the NMC. Whether in agreement or not - remote prescribing for botulinum toxin is not considered best practice. Look at IHAS website. Its easy to find.

Last edited:
In answer to your questions -

No the molecular size you mean (ie referring to dysport/azzalure and the increased risk of ptosis) is not correct.

All botulinum type A's have exactly the same molecular structure. There is no difference in kDa load whatsoever. This is sales/marketing hype from Allergan, which is not backed up by any scientific basis. What Allergan don't show is the differing injection techniques which obviously alter the outcomes greatly!

Look at Andy Pickett's research studies on the comparisons (there are also many other studies cited on his papers). He is one of the 'worlds' leading scientists on botulinum toxins. (Really - he is). There are an awful lot of myths surrounding this issue. What this man does not know about botulinum toxins really is not worth knowing. He is extremely credible and lectures across the globe. Thousands of practitioners use dysport/azzalure - so really, I am not suprised I am not the first you have heard! Nothing new here.

Xeomin - I have not used so do not have any personal comparisons. The reason I do not use this is because the company do not (and refuse to) publish any credible data to support their claims regarding the protein load. I am aware that on a lot of individuals, xeomin has absolutely no effect. This is because there has to be a degree of protein loading to stabilise the botulinum molecule. So their science really does not add up. I think there is still development needed for xeomin to become more popular (but thats just my opinion - and many colleagues).

Cost comparisons - really there is little difference. I do not advocate the use of one toxin over another. I have used botox and dysport (and continue to do so).

If you can, I would recommend going to Nice with Galderma - really excellent cadaver workshops and lectures re - botulinum indications. Invaluable. Benjamin Asher (carruthers equivalent for dysport) provides really informative lectures.

Remote prescribing (you asked me to define) - is exactly that. Prescribing botulinum toxin without a face to face consultation, ie remotely. Really not good practice. Against NMC guidelines, and also IHAS. The GMC have also recently stated their opinion on remote prescribing for cosmetic injectables, endorsing IHAS and the NMC. Whether in agreement or not - remote prescribing for botulinum toxin is not considered best practice. Look at IHAS website. Its easy to find.

Wow. You certainly do seem to know your botulinum toxins....

All the information I can find on these websites states that bulk prescribing is not best practice. However, it states that individual consultation is allowed and does not have to be face to face.

Its my job to know them - I prescribe and administer them. But thanks for the comments.

bulk prescribing - are you referring to 'wholesale ordering'?

I urge you to take another look - remote prescribing 'not face to face' is NOT considered best practice by the NMC and the GMC. Read on a little further. If the injector is a registered nurse who is not a prescriber, they are accountable to the NMC, and must therefore practice according to their guidelines, or risk their registration. It is the NMC they are answerable to, regardless of what the Dr wishes to do. Also look at the references on the IHAS website under 'cosmetic injectables' - its pretty clear. There is plenty of information there. Or google 'remote prescribing for cosmetic injectables' which will bring up the NMC statement which makes the situation crystal clear. So whether you are a nurse undertaking remotes for botulinum toxin (not in accordance with NMC guidelines, therefore risking your registration), or a Dr undertaking remotes for the nurse (GMC considered not best practice) then you need to reconsider your practice. I would actually advise you to contact the NMC direct and speak to an adviser who will clarify the situation for you - I am not sure whether you are a nurse or dr, but the info they give you will be valuable if you are doing remotes for nurses.

If you want to PM me I will be happy to add further. But really, I am done to death with this now. I do not have to justify further - hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Last edited:
Not at all! I noticed you seem to have looked up my posts and formulated responses?

Having a medical qualification certainly does not make anyone 'better' than another. I don't believe that has ever been said has it? What is does mean though - and really there should be no argument here - a medical qualification would make an individual 'more qualified' (on the whole) in making decisions regarding someones MEDICAL care - (I mean common sense dictates that, doesn't it)!

Not at all hun, just looking at people's opininions on botox and found some comments I thought I'd reply to regarding the law.

Generally, dentists have extensive knowledge about facial anatomy, doctors have; you would presume, a better understanding on the body systems, diagnosing and treating, nurses have experience and knowledge on treating patients etc. All disciplines have knowledge on injections, medicine, managing complications and preventing BBV.

A beauty therapist can train in this area but would need to be trained by someone who has the knowledge that I described above. There is no point going to a beauty therapist who has trained in giving botox or fillers to learn how to administer these yourself as the original BT hasn't got that necessary medical background, nor will they be able to prescribe any of the POM.

I agree with lots of comments on these forums but also believe that everyone should know the law when it comes to it.

xx

It just goes to show you the difference between botox practitioners, botox wales doesn't seem to know an awful lot about dysport. This is a lovely product to use as are other toxins but only in the hands of someone medically or nurse qualified AND is experienced. Someone who has just trained for one day will not be an expert and things can still go wrong so ensure you go to someone with the experience, knowledge as well as qualifications!!!!

Latest posts

Back