How do I go about changing brands of nail products and to what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMC

Reaction score
I have nobody to ask and get any advice from - so thank you in advance!

We have been using Orly polish/products & Orly GelFX for 1-2 years. I'm quite tired of it. We have little support from Orly & their suppliers.
The GEL FX is so difficult to remove, the dark colours shrink too much, the colours are not often true (to both supplier & catalogue swatches, and also their 'matches' in regular polish). Clients don't love it either.

If we change the gel polish, I am also keen to change the regular polish.
Suggestions on to what, and why? I'm more looking for the negatives on what NOT to choose I suppose.

I live in New Zealand, my other options seem to be:
  • CND - I like the idea of CND because eventually I think I would like to branch into acrylic & the gels/sculpts etc. Its nice to stick with one brand? Would I use Vinylux in my regular mani/pedi, then Shellac for 'gel polish mani/pedi'??? Are there any reasons you would NOT choose this? My main competition uses Shellac (only), she is 5mins drive away.
  • Artistic Colour Gloss - high reputation + an NZ celeb nail stylist uses/loves it, making it popular with other therapists & salons
  • IBD - I know little about it, but they do gel + acrylic also?? Again, what are the negatives?
  • Faby - new to NZ, big hype when it arrived, haven't heard much since...

How do I go about changing brands? As in... what do I do with the Orly GelFX & other polishes - some of them are very new and full! I feel like a waste if I was to just throw it out!

Thanks again.

CND shellac is a good product but, vinylux in my opinion isn't great! I used to use it but it's very limiting. Poor range of colours, hoes thick in the bottle, streaks easily, challenging to work with stains the nails and is a bugger to remove. I switched to Morgan taylor regular polish which I love.

The cnd topcoat however is like a miracle in the bottle it's fast drying, very forgiving and easy to work with. The cnd acrylic and gel (although a lot more expensive Han other brands) I have also found to be good so makes sense to stock that.

IBD is fairly popular as is artistic colour gloss I have heard great Things about ACG but personally I use gelish which I love.

Last edited:
I use gelish and love it and they have matching polish in all that jazz. Ive never tried the polish though as I gad already stocked opu and normal polish is not that popular for me x

I use harmony acrylic though and love it x

I use gelish and love it and they have matching polish in all that jazz. Ive never tried the polish though as I gad already stocked opu and normal polish is not that popular for me x

I use harmony acrylic though and love it x

I use harmony acrylic too. Prohesion! I love it!

Latest posts

Back