How do I...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you ladies for bringing up this very important and very frustrating topic.
The simple answer is Insure your home and contense. Insure your home based business. If you are lucky to get both insured through the one company, GREAT. I have my home insurance with one company, my home based buisness with another. My family and friends and casual visitors are covered on my home insurance. My clients are covered on my business insurance. Its that simple. If its a client that is injured my business insurance is called...........if a friend, then the home insurence.......two seperate issues.
But really, insurance is a personal choice. Dont insure and risk losing the shirt off your back!!
Regards
Cathy

taintz said:
As I have previously stated Jindalee he is at the TOP of a MAJOR Australian Insurance company - he deals with every state.

Taintz, no need to be nasty, lovey. Honestly, I don't care if he happens to be the Pope, what you wrote down in the other post is plain wrong but rather than just state that I thought I was being fair in backing up what I put forward with further information that is easily assessed.

Furthermore, the insurance question can be easily established by doing what I did the other day - I copied this thread and brought it into a few insurance companies - Suncorp, NRMA, CommInsure, Hibernian and my own insurer. Not surprisingly, all were in agreement and that is, you can obtain insurance that does cover you in all aspects so that one is able to run a legal business from home. Yes, it does depend on what business it is you plan to run and how but my position is quite clear: I'm running a small, one-woman operation soley based in the non-invasive personal services area and my statements were based on that as is quite obvious from my posts. My comments thus stand and believe me, as a fellow naily, I'd be more than happy to stand corrected if that were the case. But it's not.

However, I'm getting the feeling perhaps you are misreading what I'm writing which is perhaps where the misunderstanding is coming from.

As stated in my earlier posts, I don't have a singular insurance. That is, my house insurance does not cover my business. And I never stated that my general house and contents covered my business or vice versa. I have a policy that encompasses the activities being carried out in my house - ie. private and commercial. And I'm not shoving anything anywhere, by the way. Being a nail tech doesn't mean I'm not without experience in other areas, Taintz, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm stupid either. I agree, it's very important to be properly insured but it's just as important to read posts as they were written and not as you intend them to be.

Good luck with your business endeavour. I mean that.

Hello and welcome!

TO echo this talking from experience moving a salon is VERY expensive! And often property deals/ transactions don’t work out as they should when it comes to Relocating! I always look back and whish I had started with a larger premises and not have to worry about outgrowing the Salon and then deal with the pressure of moving!

Derry

geeg said:
Hi there and welcome to the nail geek site.

My opinion on this issue is this.
You're just starting, so you are thinking small. I think you should be thinking bigger and go for the salon property. The rent is very resonable and I think you would outgrow that home space very quickly and wish you had taken the salon. When I started, every property I took was too small within a year and a half of opening!! Moving a business is expensive.
Also I think you need to consider client exposure. A salon has much more exposure than your home, which will take more of your time and $$$ to market.
You sound to me like you really want to go for it as business so this is my advice.
Go for the salon and don't miss a good opportunity.

Latest posts

Back