How do people afford to charge such low prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe so but I honestly don't feel the need - people would pay more but not as regularly having their weekly fix, they'd only have them for special occasions.

The question was how do people afford it, there was my answer.. quite easily.

I understand what you are saying. I currently charge £20 and £25 for rapid, I offer discounts for groups/parties....my clients are happy to pay that and are pleased with their tans HOWEVER like you say they are only having them done for special occasions. So I was thinking of using a solution that was of good quality but more reasonably priced to offer a more affordable tan for maybe the younger market and also people that want to be tanned regularly.

I understand what you are saying. I currently charge £20 and £25 for rapid, I offer discounts for groups/parties....my clients are happy to pay that and are pleased with their tans HOWEVER like you say they are only having them done for special occasions. So I was thinking of using a solution that was of good quality but more reasonably priced to offer a more affordable tan for maybe the younger market and also people that want to be tanned regularly.
Yes, I have many clients who are tanned weekly and a some who only tan on special occasions - for the tan I use, I really don't feel the need to put the prices up as this suits all and like I say, the tan is advertising itself. :)

I get a bit upset sometimes by reading that cheap will give cheap service or whatever, this is completely false, I could charge more but I personally feel that i'd be being greedy and cutting my nose off to spite my face by only bringing in 'special occasion' clients. I started my business with tanning alone and it boomed within 6 months to a year, not bad to say I was originally only advertising on Facebook, it's quite easily profit making at low prices, I certainly don't lose out by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh yeah I totally agree I have a similar thing with eyelash extensions people say you shouldn't cheapen the service by offering less than £60-£70 but the area I am in I would rather make them affordable and be busy with clients than price them out of peoples ranges.
As long as you are making a profit then I think it's great.....It's unfair to presume that because it is more reasonably priced that the standard of service should be compromised. x

I never understand why mobile therapists charge for the same price as salons.They do not pay rent and for gas,electricity as the clients pay.Mobile techs do not drive for a long distance and etc.Products arev not expensive as they do not work with a good brands IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understand why mobile therapists charge for the same price as salons.They do not pay rent and for gas,electricity as the clients pay.Mobile techs do not drive for a long distance and etc.Products arev not expensive as they do not work with a good brands IMHO.
We often use the same products as many salons, believe it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal opinion as a client would be if someone offered a tan at £10 I would think either they are inexperienced or use low quality products.

We do use the same products and we also have to factor in travel time, petrol etc. We don't have clients coming to us so the number of treatments we can do are more limited than a salon.

..an what about those working in their own homes? Where would you place them in the great scheme of things?

Those who are mobile have non earning time when they are travelling from one appointment to the next, they have to pay petrol costs and those associated with running a car.

Stereo typical comment of a mobile therapist! Some may not pay anything but the majority want their business to build and in doing this use quality. I understand that the overheads are more in salon but the products I use are of high quality. I worked in salons for 10 years building up a large client base and now being mobile myself my business is thriving and thats not because im cheap as i charge similar prices to salons due to fuel, (i drive for miles) product price increases, my experience and also making a profit in which I can live. How people perceive mobile therapist sometimes is quite disheartening especially in a world where money is tight and jobs are not as widely available. To the op I do not understand either how people can charge cheap prices as they will have no profit and eventually no business. x

don't diss my tesco value products.... haaa joke

Idiotic comments like that should just be laughed at.

Last edited:
Everyone has overheads. What I was trying to get at, before this thread went off at a tangent, is that there IS a place for supercheap, but on a single service, as a means to an end. Cheap across the board is a big mistake and the therapist who is charging buttons will end up on about a pound or two an hour.

We price out mobiles as well as other salons, alls fair in love etc.

Everyone has overheads. What I was trying to get at, before this thread went off at a tangent, is that there IS a place for supercheap, but on a single service, as a means to an end. Cheap across the board is a big mistake and the therapist who is charging buttons will end up on about a pound or two an hour.

We price out mobiles as well as other salons, alls fair in love etc.

very true. i like doing summer and christmas offers, because then people can kind of test you out at a cheaper rate, but knowing that if they want to come back its not going to always be that cheap. where as alot of people have said, if you start off with every treatment being cheap then you'll never be able to put your prices up because so many people will drop you. I can understand people pricing down treatments which they dont find popular to try and attract more custom but putting EVERY SINGLE price down to less than half the price of other places is kind of going a little over the top, and there is already so much competition in my area because there are so many salons and beauticians so its not exactly expensive with them :S

What a load of rubbish.
Even with shorter distances petrol is used strangely enough, I dont know about yours but my car doesnt run on air alone- lots of little journeys quickly builds up the miles...

As for products, well how do you know that? I'm mobile and personally use what are in my opinion, the top products. My clients all know I only use products I believe in as being the best and they love that.

If you got a chef to come and cook for you in your home would you assume he will charge you more or less then if you went to his restaurant to eat?

What a load of rubbish.
Even with shorter distances petrol is used strangely enough, I dont know about yours but my car doesnt run on air alone- lots of little journeys quickly builds up the miles...

As for products, well how do you know that? I'm mobile and personally use what are in my opinion, the top products. My clients all know I only use products I believe in as being the best and they love that.

If you got a chef to come and cook for you in your home would you assume he will charge you more or less then if you went to his restaurant to eat?

such a good way of putting it! never thought of it like that but funnily enough i would actually expect to pay more for a chef to come to my house?

Latest posts

Back