How do you do your own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karin

Reaction score
OK, have spent ages (last 3 hours) trying to do my own nails!! I am ok at doing my left hand but when it comes to doing my right one, it looks so bad. Did try doing my "smile lines" with L&P, but maybe it would be easier with Gel?

What do you guys do?

I am very new to all this and most of my clients want L&P, although I have 2 that like gel.

I am a L&P girl but not sure that is the case with my own nails! I have ended up soaking off my right hand and done it with gel. Still not that easy, but at least it does not dry so fast.

Have seem so many nail techs that say they do their own nails, they all say it takes ages, but how do you do it?

It's not like if you go wrong you can start again, especially with L&P. So when you say it takes you ages, what is it that takes so long. Is it soaking them off?

K

I've been doing my own for quite awhile now,I've posted a piccie of how I hold my brush in my right hand to do my left.It takes me about 1to 1and a half hours to do a fill on my self,resting my right arm on the edge of the desk helps to keep it steady(does that make sense?) and work with a smaller ball till you get the hang of it.If you get your application down it will reduce your fiiling there for reducing your time.
Hope it helps
Sam:biggrin:
Piccie is in my gallery.

I find it a bit of a nightmare but I choose an evening to do it and spend all night if I have to. I use gel and I definately dont think smiles are any easier than with l&p, sometimes harder as the product slips around more.

Initially I just kept it simple with either a NNO,short t&o or sculpts with no french. I found that was better than attempting something else and it looking less than perfect.

a really good trick is to always do the harder hand 1st for me this is the right hand, if you do the easy hand 1st the right hand will seem even harder, also you feel fresher when you start and its a doddle to do the left hand even if your a bit tired :biggrin: i also use a smaller bead when doing my right hand and i rest my left hand on the wrist part of the right hand (right hand palm up and fingers bent towards you as though you are admiring nail polish) and that way you keep your balance. hoping this makes sence its hard to describe and might sound loke gobbuldy goop :rolleyes:

michelle xx

slowly is the answer to the question :lol:

I use a menda pump to rest my finger on, I found it was easier to have something to lean the finger I was doing on - I can also use the pressing action to pull the side walls back - sounds odd, it's easier to show than explain!!

I also work in little beads adding more as I need it - and breathe - I often forget to breathe while I'm doing my right hand!! :smack:

Whether you use l&p or gels, I don't think it necessarily makes the application to your own nails any easier to do.

It takes a bit of practice to get right but like Michelle, I tend to do the hardest hand first.

With difficulty and lots of 4 letter words!!!!!!

Seriously, I also start on my most difficult hand so the easy hand seems so much easier.

ive thought about shopping around and getting my nails done by someone else locally. I HATE doing my own nails! and they never look as good as what i would do on a client. I like nailart on mine but it always has to be something fairly simple so that i can manage it with my left hand.

Although I do L&P with white powder on clients, when it comes to me, I don't get much time to mess around as I have a 9 month old son.

So what I do is just use the French Radical tip and then do clear overlay.

Jules:)

Hi'

i also usually use french tip and apply pink over the top, the only problem is soaking them off so much when your free edge shows!

i hate doing my own nails and would love someone to do them for me with some really wicked nail art. :)

I always do my own nails, I wouldn't trust anybody else to do it! Plus if clients see that you can do your own & they look nice they are more likely to trust your ability. I find that I can do my own nails in about an hour (sculpted french normally). I have to rest my left elbow on something to balance my arm when I do my right hand but I find it quite easy. However, I can never get the smile line right with gel, it runs all over the place! Acrylic stays where you put it so it's much easier to work with.

hi guys i too always do my own, one because as mentioned before if people ask where i get my nails done i say me! and two because i now begrudge paying someone else when i have all the products. I now use Extreme Powder Glaze on my own and it is so quick and easy to do i normally use white tips but i have re-balanced sinced and used more than white to do it but it is the easiest system ive found so far to do my own x x x

I do my own nails too, to often sometimes lol, but what i like is being able to cheat a little when you need a quick tidy up but dont have alot of time. As i use and wear gel, i can buff a little and just go over with my Finishing Gloss, cure, wipe, oil and they look great again for a while. This also helps when i have been busy and took the shine off my own nails after catching with my file when doing clients. xx

I always do my own, means Ive got someone to practise on that cant complain if theyre not 100%!! But i always find that the ones I do for me are better and last longer than those i do for other people. Wish i knew why this is - can have mine on for three weeks and look no different. (not that I usually last this long, get bored and change mine all time!) Dont do anything different and infact probably less careful with prep etc when doing mine. Anybody else find this?

God it has taken me about 30 mins to type that - keep being interupted by my 2 year old and his little friend, honestly you'd think I was here to look after them...!!

Karin said:
OK, have spent ages (last 3 hours) trying to do my own nails!! I am ok at doing my left hand but when it comes to doing my right one, it looks so bad. Did try doing my "smile lines" with L&P, but maybe it would be easier with Gel?

What do you guys do?

I am very new to all this and most of my clients want L&P, although I have 2 that like gel.

I am a L&P girl but not sure that is the case with my own nails! I have ended up soaking off my right hand and done it with gel. Still not that easy, but at least it does not dry so fast.

Have seem so many nail techs that say they do their own nails, they all say it takes ages, but how do you do it?

It's not like if you go wrong you can start again, especially with L&P. So when you say it takes you ages, what is it that takes so long. Is it soaking them off?

K

Hi ya,

what i do is cheat! Take the tip and file out the well area, then put on your white, a perfect smile line :rolleyes: Then place the tip on your nail, cut to size and continue with your pink. Otherwise use white tips. Hope this helps :Love:

Thanks guys, you have some really useful tips.

Latest posts

Back