How do you give a written warning?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may be in the wrong by him not having a contract by now.

Employment Contracts - What should be included in an employment contract?

'By law an employer must provide an employee with their employment terms, (known as a "statement of terms") within 2 months of the employee's start date. However, a statement of terms is the bare minimum required by law. A comprehensive contract of employment allows an employer to specify an employee's duties and responsibilities - so an employee knows exactly what is expected of them. '

Because of this I would definitely take legal advice, or else you could end up in a big mess. Hope it works out ok in the end for you.

I hope i can help here as there are some confusing replies.Firstly employers must have a disciplinary procedure in writing in place.There is no requirement to have a verbal warning in a disciplinary procedure,you can begin with the warning.There is a process to follow ie invite the person to a disciplinary hearing and give them an opportunity tobe accompanied.Donot throw the kitchen sink at them and incidents that happened months ago,
If this person has applied fo rthe post by application or cv and has specified a false reason for obtaining the post you might reasonably think this is gross misconduct ie they have breached your confidence and trust.I am left asking why you didnt get a reference?
If you were to dismiss once again there i must bea clear process to follow and you must follw it,this is where most employers trip themselves up.
I think question 1 is do you have a written disciplinary procedure?

HI,
Not sure if this will be off help to you. But I recently had to let a member of staff go for stealing clients. I also found out that they had stole from the previous employer. This I could not use against them as this was not with me. I went through the NHF, it doesnt cost that much for a year, but you can have as much legal help that you need, and I have had mine by far. They have a legal team they put you through to, and they will help you with your letter and then when you go to let the member of staff go they give you a miscondut code. This for me worked very well, as the mother came in and shouted in the shop. She was so angry that I had sacked the family member from the salon. But there was nothing that they could do as I had taken the correct actions. God only knows what would have happend it I hadn't gone through the correct procedures.
Wish you the bes of luck

Just wondered if you'd given him a verbal warning before? This is usually done as a first reprimand. If a further misdemeanour occurs then its a written warning. Of course if there is more than one issue at the moment you could do verbal for the first and written for the second. Also, you must never state in writing that this person has been stealing unless they have been found guilty through the judicial sysem. I used to be an Adjudication Officer at the Jobcentre and Employers had to be asked to retract such statements due to libel and slander laws. This also means you cannot disclose what has happened if another employer asks you for a reference. If you are in doubt ring ACAS, they will advise you on the law and correct procedure. Good Luck

Also like to point out, that Although it is called a verbal warning, it does infact have to be in writing.

then is followed by 2 written, known as written warnings.

Su

Latest posts

Back