How do you know when your lifting is gone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj1

Reaction score
I only have one client with major problems.......

So, I thought I would try to put nails on myself and work out my kinks even though I never did have a problem wearing them.

I noticed I have lifting, but I know for a fact my prep isn't spot on and I am going too close to the cuticle...but I mean how close is too close?

I have a little red spot from over filing on my ring finger and I have some minor lifting. There is always that little bit of lift that seems to continue while filing. I file behind the lift but that doesn't seem to help. What am I doing wrong? Is there any lift that you can leave and just apply product. I wonder if I am filing way too much? Help please, I am trying to build my confidence by working on myself, and would really appreciate some feedback, thanks all!

I only have one client with major problems....... recommend two weekly appointments plus cuticle oil twice a day for this one. Having said that..does she have excess cuticle that needs extra work compared to other clients..CND cuticle eraser would be another fab product for her homecare if this is the case..sure makes prep easier.

So, I thought I would try to put nails on myself and work out my kinks even though I never did have a problem wearing them.

I noticed I have lifting, but I know for a fact my prep isn't spot on and I am going too close to the cuticle...but I mean how close is too close?you need to be feathering out the product just before the cuticle.. Achieved by a push pull motion..no ledge evident at all, to ensure a good seal. i swear by cuticle remover, pushie, swab with water/citrusoak to remove,remove shine (240 grit) scrub fresh (one hand at a time) you need to have a chalky finish to the nail.

I have a little red spot from over filing on my ring finger and I have some minor lifting. There is always that little bit of lift that seems to continue while filing. I file behind the lift but that doesn't seem to help. What am I doing wrong? Is there any lift that you can leave and just apply product. I wonder if I am filing way too much? Help please, I am trying to build my confidence by working on myself, and would really appreciate some feedback, thanks all! Keep that file on the overlay and not the natural nail..if you are getting thinning of the plate..then sorry to say but you arent staying behind the lift enough..maybe start your blending in zone 2..the lift will just flake off in zone 3 if done correctly..leading to no redness..this is a sure sign you are filing on the natural nail. I guess you can leave a little scaric of lift behind..but then this may give your client dreaded fill lines and make you a little complacent with your prep..sorry to say..again.
Once you have your prep spot on (and yes, you can tailor your product line to what i use) and perfect the feathering ( if you find this difficult, work slightly wetter)..then i promise your lifting will be minimal..its just all perfect practice..and no short cuts..look at the root of the problem and tackle it from there.
:hug: P.s when i do fills/rebalance i perform all my initial filing/shaping before my prep..this helps to free up sidewalls, zone 3 for thorough prep. Then, after i remove the shine..usually the dust will collect in any area of tiny lift remaing..i go over this ever so gently with a 240..being very cautious to keep of the nail plate still...bear in mind regular dusting will help minimize what is visible to you..otherwise you will be filing all day,lol.

Stop the lifting and you won't have the problem.

Too close is touching!! If you touch product to any of the skin surrounding the plate you will get lifting.

If your prep is not spot on and thorough you will get lifting.

If you do not press your product firmly into place before smoothing it, you will get lifting.

If your product is not kept moisturised and supple by oiling it every day with something like Solar Oil then you may get lifting.

If your enhancements are out of balance and not maintained regularly you will get lifting.

YOU know what you are doing (or not doing) ... if you know your prep is not spot on and you are too close to the eponychium or lateral walls (NOT the cuticle) with your product then put these things right and you wont have to worry about how to get rid of lifting lines.

not that there is anymore anyone can add to Geeg's post but i remember once over filing one of my own nails and causing a red patch...untill this patch grew out i always had lifting on it...it was damaged nail that the product just wouldn't adhere too. That bit of nail was just to red, thin and couldn't hold the gel. x

not that there is anymore anyone can add to Geeg's post but i remember once over filing one of my own nails and causing a red patch...untill this patch grew out i always had lifting on it...it was damaged nail that the product just wouldn't adhere too. That bit of nail was just to red, thin and couldn't hold the gel. x
This is a really good lesson for everyone ... and one to remember.

If you thin and damage your clients' nails or THEY thin and damage their own nails, they WILL suffer from lifting and other problems.

The main reason for keeping your clients nails strong and healthy is because it is the professional thing and the right thing to do, but another is that if you dont, they will suffer with problems which you will have to sort out or loose a client..

Lately my only one client has been coming in and all nails are off. She never used to be this way until recently. I know it's not my fault.

I haven't worn enhancements in a couple years and thought what the hec I will put gels on myself and have a go with this lifting that I struggle with.

The few others I have done enhancements on haven't had any lifting. I think for me I am really being sloppy.

The real problem is that I still no matter how hard get that little line that is visible. That is how I got that red spot,,,it's not really that bad though!

Thanks again to all who've replied

aj

Latest posts

Back