How do you re-taylor a tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jo Jo said:
Hi there Emma,

Here is what I do with tips (clear or natural):-

I always buy the tips with minimal contact area (Creative's are called Velocity).

I cut the entire well area out with curved scissors, then I use a 100 grit to lightly file the smile line to make sure it is perfect, I don't do anymore pre tailoring, I apply the tips, thin out the free edge and buff over the smile line and dust any debris away, for me personally this automatically creates a guide for my smile lines, it works for me!

With Ezflow Precision clear I don't blend atall (rightly or wrongly) I simply apply and thin out the free edge.

Hope this helps!
J x
Hi Jo Jo (hope your well?)

Marion has advised to get some tip cutter things from Star Nails which i'm going to have a look for when i get chance - i'll then give your method (after cutting the well out) a go.

The only question i have though is when i've cut the well out do i put the smile line up against the natural smile line?? What if the client has really short nails - would i not do this at all or just reduce the well slightly??

Em.xx

Emmajt said:
Hi Jo Jo (hope your well?)

Marion has advised to get some tip cutter things from Star Nails which i'm going to have a look for when i get chance - i'll then give your method (after cutting the well out) a go.

The only question i have though is when i've cut the well out do i put the smile line up against the natural smile line?? What if the client has really short nails - would i not do this at all or just reduce the well slightly??

Em.xx

Hi there Emma! I'm doing very well thanks! a couple of minor blips but all in all alot better than I have been! :)

What I do is try and place the tip just back from the natural smile line so as to ensure the new nail growth doesn't show through too quickly, you are right however that if the clients nails are very short this would look daft, my method for nailbiters is the 'bridge' method, I use clear tips, still with the well cut out, apply best I can to bitten nail, buff down, apply a soft white as far forward as I can without it looking silly and use a dense pink powder to mask the gap for zones 2 and 3 making sure the free edge is kept fairly short.

J xx

Teena_B said:
This sounds a good method - IF I'm reading it right. Do you place the smile line of the tip EXACTLY on the smile line of the natural nail? If that doesn't make sense, is there a photographic step by step of this method somewhere? I would really like to try this!

Hi Teena!

Place the tip just slightly back from the natural smile line or your clients new nail growth will show through too quickly! The only step by step I've seen of this method was by Leighton Denny in Professional Nails (I think) a while back. PM me your address and I will send you a copy. J x

Jo Jo said:
Hi there Emma! I'm doing very well thanks! a couple of minor blips but all in all alot better than I have been! :)

What I do is try and place the tip just back from the natural smile line so as to ensure the new nail growth doesn't show through too quickly, you are right however that if the clients nails are very short this would look daft, my method for nailbiters is the 'bridge' method, I use clear tips, still with the well cut out, apply best I can to bitten nail, buff down, apply a soft white as far forward as I can without it looking silly and use a dense pink powder to mask the gap for zones 2 and 3 making sure the free edge is kept fairly short.

J xx
Thanks Jo Jo.xx

It's no wonder some of us are complaining it takes so long. When I did my course they taught us L&P pink and white tip, and to file the contact area down, preblend the area down with a file before sticking on, then blend again on natural nail to make it invisible. No wonder my own nails are suffering at the mo with the filing down.

I now realise it's unnecessary to do any preblending if you are doing the french look, but it's a difficult habit to stop, such a time waster too.

So can I just check, only preblend and blend on natural nail if going for clear or pink look.

Deb379

Latest posts

Back