how do you register company name - self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorgeousnails

Reaction score
I'm just starting out in the nail biz!
I want to register so the company name is taken, do you do this with "company house" or trade mark IP place?

I have no idea where to start? Sorting out an account etc?

All help needed... and greatly appreciated!

Angel..

Hiya. Are you self employed, starting a partnership or limited company? You only need to register with Companies House if you are a private limited company. Have you had advice from an accountant or advisor on the best route to take?

Sorry about all the questions, but the answer depends on what route you are going down!

x

Hi Angel,

You only need to 'register' a company name if you are going to set up a limited company. (This is where Companies House would come in, as you have to check the name hasn't already been taken etc.) However, if you are operating a a sole trader (which most people do), you do not need to 'register' the name in the same way.

You will need to contact the Inland Revenue (H.M. Revenue & Customs) within 3 months of starting trading to let them you know you are now self-employed; they will ask you a few more questions and send you an information pack out.

With regards to an account, some people do tend to use a personal account for business purposes (although the bank wouldn't favour it if they sussed what it being used for) as banks charge you for the use of business accounts, such as each time you pay cheques in etc and the interest and terms and conditions are usually a little different.

Hope this helps.

Croc xx

going to be self employed - not a company or partnership.

need to speak to an accountant, i know someone who is an accountant, so not sure whether to ask him to do it or keep it strictly as my moms neighbour!!! lol.

forgot what else you asked, but i will reply again if i missed anything! lol.

Latest posts

Back