How educated are we really?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libbylou

Reaction score
As the above says how educated are we really, not just in application and h&s, but in product awareness. I am reading more & more posts were techs believe all gel polishes are shellac for example, or is it ok to mix brands . Some have never heard of tip & dip or acryl gel, then just assume it is something made up by the NSS. I have an apprentice who is with us 1 day a week from the local college , she was so excited the other week, as they were learning a new technique that was apparently going to be the next big thing, turned out to be silk overlays. There are lots of accredited courses but not one of them teach to the same standards. So what really is the point in accreditation ? salon geek offers a wealth of information, and helps in keeping us all up to date, but surly some of the questions asked here daily should be covered in the most basic of courses.

This is an industry which rapidly evolves and innovates. No one just entering into a career as a nail tech is going to know it all. No-one, upon completion of a level 2 nail services course is going to come out knowing every single method, product and brand. When you complete brand specific training you're not going to come out knowing about other brands and products and techniques.

This is why we always read here on SG that education is OUR own responsibility and it should be on-going for the duration of our careers.

Yes there are some poor courses and poor educators out there amongst some absolutely brilliant ones....but none can teach it ALL.

I love that people at all stages of their careers can come on here and find an amazing bunch of incredibly knowledgable and talented people who can help, advise, and steer people in the right direction....it's like an extension of their basic training. But like I said, no single course can possibly teach everything, regardless of any accreditation, and you can't expect someone at the beginning of their nail career to have the same level of knowledge as someone who has been in the industry for 20 years.

Last edited:
sometimes we need a bit of reassurance, i agree with what you are saying, but ive asked questions before, not because i dont know, but because ive doubted myself lol :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back