How long could it take to gain experience to cut hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurogirl

Reaction score
Hi all, I am starting level 2 hairdressing in September, this year.
I work in a hair/beauty salon, as a Beauty/holistic therapist.

I have wanted to be a hairdresser for years, and now I have the chance to I'm so exited.

The salon where I work is busy, the lady I work work with has had over 30 years of experience, and she is the only hairdresser, I assist her when I am quiet, with the basics, hair washing etc, (we are in a quiet rural village)

She is going to help me, and while I qualify for level two, I should be able to gain the experience there, after I qualify, next year.

my other questions are, when I do level 3, I also plan to do barbering, one evening a week.

how long could it take to gain experience for cutting hair and also then for barbering?

When I qualified as a beauty therapist, and at the beginning, I was working in a quiet salon, but then switched to a very busy salon, and I know that that is where I learnt my skills, ie waxing, especially.

I know that hairdressing will take a lot longer to learn, especially cutting hair.

I am looking forward to it, and very keen to learn.

thanks for reading this :D

Hi all, I am starting level 2 hairdressing in September, this year.
I work in a hair/beauty salon, as a Beauty/holistic therapist.

I have wanted to be a hairdresser for years, and now I have the chance to I'm so exited.

The salon where I work is busy, the lady I work work with has had over 30 years of experience, and she is the only hairdresser, I assist her when I am quiet, with the basics, hair washing etc, (we are in a quiet rural village)

She is going to help me, and while I qualify for level two, I should be able to gain the experience there, after I qualify, next year.

my other questions are, when I do level 3, I also plan to do barbering, one evening a week.

how long could it take to gain experience for cutting hair and also then for barbering?

When I qualified as a beauty therapist, and at the beginning, I was working in a quiet salon, but then switched to a very busy salon, and I know that that is where I learnt my skills, ie waxing, especially.

I know that hairdressing will take a lot longer to learn, especially cutting hair.

I am looking forward to it, and very keen to learn.

thanks for reading this :D

It seems u r very keen 2 learn and very lucky u r going 2 be working closely with someone with a lot if experience. U need 2 remember it's like anything, if u want something and put 100% into it u will get great things out of it and as quickly as u want 2 do it. Good luck hun xxx

I agree - Just practise, practise, practise! You'll find once you have your qualification, everyone comes out of the woodwork needing their hair done and with each cut you will gain tons of experience and truly understand all the theory of an NVQ! Best of luck

Everyones different to be honest some people are naturally more confident and just go for it some of us are very nervous at first. The best way is just to get the basics right work in nice neat sections and then you can begin to experiment. Its daunting at first and you may have a few bump along the way iv made some horrendous mistakes in the past but you kinda have to go through that to learn trust me u won't do it again. But don't set timescales just get as much practice as you can and it all comes together. But it is nerve racking i remember my first paying customer god i was a nervous wreck.

I do remember some awful mistakes that I made myself, in beauty, so I will definitely practice.
I can't tell you how many times I have sat and watched stylists at work, and have thought how fantastic it must be, to be able to cut and style hair!

Beauty and holistic therapy was my second choice at college years ago, I was 37 years old, so when I was accepted for the course instead of hair, I decided to go for it,
and then 3 years after I qualified I applied again to the same college for level 2 hairdressing, but I didn't get in, and I felt that maybe the reason was because I already had a career, and that the school leavers needed a career too, and quite rightly so. and after that I continued with beauty, and did evening courses in sports massage, gel nails, nail art

So this year when I went for my interview, I didn't think I would get into the college, but wanted to try, and I thought if it's meant to be...

I'm 51 years old now, and know this was probably my last chance.

At the interview there was a lady who looked to be about my age, and who was applying for her level 3, it was great to see that for me.

I do remember some awful mistakes that I made myself, in beauty, so I will definitely practice.
I can't tell you how many times I have sat and watched stylists at work, and have thought how fantastic it must be, to be able to cut and style hair!

Beauty and holistic therapy was my second choice at college years ago, I was 37 years old, so when I was accepted for the course instead of hair, I decided to go for it,
and then 3 years after I qualified I applied again to the same college for level 2 hairdressing, but I didn't get in, and I felt that maybe the reason was because I already had a career, and that the school leavers needed a career too, and quite rightly so. and after that I continued with beauty, and did evening courses in sports massage, gel nails, nail art

So this year when I went for my interview, I didn't think I would get into the college, but wanted to try, and I thought if it's meant to be...

At the interview there was a lady who looked to be about my age, and who was applying for her level 3, it was great to see that for me.

I did my level 3 when i was thinking of going into teaching years after I trained. There was a lady in her fifties on my course everyone loved her she was the life and soul of the class she had gone right through from Level one and volunteered at a salon. She was fab has become a great hairdresser and has a great business now. Don't worry about age its just a number I'm 32 but I'm still wondering when ill feel like a grown up haha! Good luck I'm sure u will do great.

I did my level 3 when i was thinking of going into teaching years after I trained. There was a lady in her fifties on my course everyone loved her she was the life and soul of the class she had gone right through from Level one and volunteered at a salon. She was fab has become a great hairdresser and has a great business now. Don't worry about age its just a number I'm 32 but I'm still wondering when ill feel like a grown up haha! Good luck I'm sure u will do great.

Well that is great to hear!, that the lady in her 50's went on to own her own business and became a great hairdresser, such an inspiration to me!
my story is similar, I do help the hairdresser I work with,
and although she can't afford to pay me, she will buy some beauty supplies for me when she can, and I will be gaining experience in the meantime.

And you don't have to grow up! my mother has always told me that you don't have to change as you get older, you gather life experiences, but always keep the child there within you.
We have a lot of good belly laughs, I live and take care of her now, my 3 adult children have flown the nest.

She's in hospital at the moment recovering from an infection, has been there over a week, and when I visit we can't help giggling over the smallest things, and even on the phone, she keeps me young at heart, and I think I do the same for her, she is 75 years old this month.

Aww I hope your Mother gets well soon. Im not planning on growing up don't worry the funniest most open minded people are always older its such a shame that people attach any significance to a person from a number. And I hope you go to that college cause why the hell not your just gonna always wish you had of done it. And from your beauty background you will be amazed how much that will help because a large part of hairdressing is about people skills and putting the client at ease a so a lot of your skills will cross over very effectively. You will have a big head start already. Even if you don't choose to do it in the longterm you'll still be glad you went and did it. Polly only went on the course to accompany her daughter as her dauhgter has a condition that effects her mobility and Polly her mother had just a few years before lost another daughter to cancer so she started was only doing it as hobby to take her mind off sadness at losing a child and to look after her other one at college. Her daughter never did Hairdressing after college but Polly who never intended to do it is rushed off her feet with her own business now. Remarkable lady.

For Polly to go to college to look after her daughter, after losing her other daughter, and then to carry on and have a successful career in hair, what a special lady she is.
It's sad to hear that she had lost her daughter, my heart goes out to her.

and you are right, I know I would always wish I had gone to college, because I regret not waiting a year to apply again for hair, instead of doing beauty, but I am very grateful to have beauty etc too.

Thanks for sharing Polly's story, because this has really inspired me. :) :)

Last edited:
Aww that's so sweet of you to say. Seriously age is irrelevant your 51 years young n u will do great and there will be a wide range of ages anyway. Just don't worry if you **** some a hair up we've all done it and trust me you learn from it nerves are the biggest thing that holds people back in hairdressing. Don't let anyone try and make out it's brain surgery there just portentous it is a craft but some people try and make it too complicated. And try and get a copy of Sassoon abc cutting on ebay they are the masters at cutting hair the one length cut colleges teach is wrong and they'll prob have u do a lot of universal layers it's a hideous haircut that no one has in a decent salon but it's an NVQ staple. Keep in touch and let us all know how you do good and bad we've all been there trust me we never stop learning. We have do many great resources know with the internet and it's not just cutting colouring too. Generally hairdressers prefer cutting or colouring but you'll know when you get into level 2. Good luck roll on September and don't worry if it seems really impossible before you know it it all clicks and your away it's very much like learning to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, it's been nearly 2 years since I wrote this post, and I am nearly finished with level 3 hairdressing in college! I work at another hair salon, and it is awesome! I am so pleased that I did it!... I'm 53 years old now, and am exited about my future! And believe it or not, I am not the oldest in my class lol, she is 69, and now a very close friend and doing great! I wanted to repost this for anyone wanting to pursue a career in hairdressing as a mature student, all things are possible! in my first year at level 2 I came first in 2 hair competitions at college, this year I came 1st and 2nd at college, and then came 2nd for avant garde, at the Hair and Beauty Championship of Wales! And I am student of the year this year, for creativity. I want to thank everyone above for giving me hope! I didn't know what to expect, cutting was hard at first but it all comes together with practice, I would say now that choosing colour is the hardest, this will come with experience, and working at a busy salon, is important for me. I am very interested in bridal hair, etc, and have started to design styles, and YouTube is where I get a lot of inspiration. I also love to experiment with hair, and collected hair cuttings, bleached and coloured them, and was able to find a way to make hair material, and incorporated a flower design with leaves also from hair, into the hair material, and so used this as part of the costume for the a avant garde, made earrings and a necklace from hair also. It's been very exiting, and I can't believe how much you can do with this stuff!! Haha!... What's next? Does anyone have any amazing ideas of what you can do with hair? I also had the amazing Patrick Cameron, world's leading long hair expert, come up to me at the competition and told me he really, loved what I do with hair, this was fantastic for me because I follow him on You Tube etc, and have learnt a lot from his tutorials and shows, but I was so gobsmacked I couldn't say much just...thanks! Haha

Last edited:
Aww that's so sweet of you to say. Seriously age is irrelevant your 51 years young n u will do great and there will be a wide range of ages anyway. Just don't worry if you **** some a hair up we've all done it and trust me you learn from it nerves are the biggest thing that holds people back in hairdressing. Don't let anyone try and make out it's brain surgery there just portentous it is a craft but some people try and make it too complicated. And try and get a copy of Sassoon abc cutting on ebay they are the masters at cutting hair the one length cut colleges teach is wrong and they'll prob have u do a lot of universal layers it's a hideous haircut that no one has in a decent salon but it's an NVQ staple. Keep in touch and let us all know how you do good and bad we've all been there trust me we never stop learning. We have do many great resources know with the internet and it's not just cutting colouring too. Generally hairdressers prefer cutting or colouring but you'll know when you get into level 2. Good luck roll on September and don't worry if it seems really impossible before you know it it all clicks and your away it's very much like learning to drive.

thank you so much for your support! Have never forgotten! Xx

I agree - Just practise, practise, practise! You'll find once you have your qualification, everyone comes out of the woodwork needing their hair done and with each cut you will gain tons of experience and truly understand all the theory of an NVQ! Best of luck

Thank you, you were right about what you said, xx

It seems u r very keen 2 learn and very lucky u r going 2 be working closely with someone with a lot if experience. U need 2 remember it's like anything, if u want something and put 100% into it u will get great things out of it and as quickly as u want 2 do it. Good luck hun xxx

this was and is so true! Thanks for support! Xx

Aww I hope your Mother gets well soon. Im not planning on growing up don't worry the funniest most open minded people are always older its such a shame that people attach any significance to a person from a number. And I hope you go to that college cause why the hell not your just gonna always wish you had of done it. And from your beauty background you will be amazed how much that will help because a large part of hairdressing is about people skills and putting the client at ease a so a lot of your skills will cross over very effectively. You will have a big head start already. Even if you don't choose to do it in the longterm you'll still be glad you went and did it. Polly only went on the course to accompany her daughter as her dauhgter has a condition that effects her mobility and Polly her mother had just a few years before lost another daughter to cancer so she started was only doing it as hobby to take her mind off sadness at losing a child and to look after her other one at college. Her daughter never did Hairdressing after college but Polly who never intended to do it is rushed off her feet with her own business now. Remarkable lady.

and this was so true, the skills from beauty helped me, it all came naturally, from being in a salon environment, and I believe helped me get the job I am at now, I am so glad Polly made a thriving business! I can't imagine losing a child! I did lose my lovely mother last year in April, it put me back a bit, but I carried on, and it did help me thru grieving! 2 weeks after she died, I had 2 competitions to do at the Welsh nationals, and I decided to do it in her memory, as she had watched me practice for it etc, and she was so proud when I came 1st in the college competitions, the big one was the day before her funeral, I didn't win, but it was a huge eye opener for me, and so this helped me with this years competition at The Welsh Nationals to be second place. thanks again! Xx

I got the abc cutting dvd. Amazon I think I got it. I'm saving up to go and one of their courses. I'd seriously recommend you do same if you can. That or even hob salons have 2 and 4 day courses.

Hi, it's been nearly 2 years since I wrote this post, and I am nearly finished with level 3 hairdressing in college! I work at another hair salon, and it is awesome! I am so pleased that I did it!... I'm 53 years old now, and am exited about my future! And believe it or not, I am not the oldest in my class lol, she is 69, and now a very close friend and doing great! I wanted to repost this for anyone wanting to pursue a career in hairdressing as a mature student, all things are possible! in my first year at level 2 I came first in 2 hair competitions at college, this year I came 1st and 2nd at college, and then came 2nd for avant garde, at the Hair and Beauty Championship of Wales! And I am student of the year this year, for creativity. I want to thank everyone above for giving me hope! I didn't know what to expect, cutting was hard at first but it all comes together with practice, I would say now that choosing colour is the hardest, this will come with experience, and working at a busy salon, is important for me. I am very interested in bridal hair, etc, and have started to design styles, and YouTube is where I get a lot of inspiration. I also love to experiment with hair, and collected hair cuttings, bleached and coloured them, and was able to find a way to make hair material, and incorporated a flower design with leaves also from hair, into the hair material, and so used this as part of the costume for the a avant garde, made earrings and a necklace from hair also. It's been very exiting, and I can't believe how much you can do with this stuff!! Haha!... What's next? Does anyone have any amazing ideas of what you can do with hair? I also had the amazing Patrick Cameron, world's leading long hair expert, come up to me at the competition and told me he really, loved what I do with hair, this was fantastic for me because I follow him on You Tube etc, and have learnt a lot from his tutorials and shows, but I was so gobsmacked I couldn't say much just...thanks! Haha

Thank you so much for your post! You are such an inspiration. I am 36 and have just been offered a place at college studying hair dressing. It is something I have always wanted to do but I felt too old to start, then I thought sod it! I'm doing it ! :)

I'm so excited to get started in August and stumbling across your post has just made my day xxx

I'm nearly46 and finally realizing my dream of studying hairdressing . Exams in July.

Latest posts

Back