how long should polish last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carriechatwin

Reaction score
hi ya everyone,

After my thread yesturday where i told you I couldn't remember how I used to do french polish,I did my first paying client today using opi french polishband following your advice of putting the pink over the white and I waqs real pleased,I kept a steady hand and it was perfect,my client was pleased too and even asked me to do her toes!Anyway one question she asked me was how long the polish would last,I said 2-3 days depending on if she has her hands water constantly etc.was i right saying this?:)

I find it's really hard to predict as it depends what the client does with their hands/toes. I have one client whos french pedicure lasts for over 4 weeks!!! I usually say up to one week depending on how you treat your hands and explain that it it them that will cause it to come off if they do not follow the aftercare e.g wear gloves to do the washing up, don't soak them in the bath e.t.c. Some people don't get through the day without damaging it! I know I can't! :lol:

i always say 2-3 days for hands (this covers your back!) anything longer is a bonus. For french toes it can last a coule of weeks.

I think it does depend on how people live their lives in respect to whether they chip their polish or not!!

I would certainly be retailing a topcoat. Did you tell them about the jewels not tools rule?

I must admit I do say longer than 2-3 days, I use excellent polishes by Creative, Ceteum etc and have excellent results but again it does depend on lifestyles and how they are treated.

Sassy said once that you know how a client treats their nails by the way they enter their bag to pay you...... very wise words!!! I have watched and she is spot on every time.

HTH Teri xx:hug:

Well tbh, I have found that my polishes last around 5-8 days, obviously depending on what the client does with their hands, i.e are they in water alot.
I use Creative enamels, and their durability is second to none!

Thank you geeks did explain the jewel not tool rule and other factors like having handsin water,wear gloves etc.I used opi which I think are a lovley polish,guess I will have to see what she says next time,also advised reapplying a top coat in a few days as she had a nailtopia flower on and i said if she reapplieda topcoat it would help it last.

I agree it depends on what you do with your hands. I painted my own a few weeks ago and it lasted over a week but i applied some last week and it's chipped already but I've probably done more cleaning this week. It all depends on what your doing. x

p.s i use opi polish too

Another reason nail polish can chip is beacuse the natural nail plate flexes away from the dried polish causing it to chip off. I usually tell clients the polish can last up to a week.
xx:hug:xx

Latest posts

Back