How many massages become too many?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louna78

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. I was recently employed as a beauty therapist in a hair and beauty salon.
I am required to perform very firm massages at all time and it is starting to cause me a lot of pain. Does anyone know how many massages a day a beautician is meant to do? And is there a law in the profession that notifies it or anything to protect beauticians?
I would be grateful for any information, thank you.

Hey!!
I have no idea if there is a legal limit on the amount of treatments you give, but there are employment laws that state you must have breaks and days off.

Are you trained in stones? I find them fiddily (I qualify next week) but I'm getting better and they take loads of pressure of my fingers and wrists.

Also I'm not qualified in them but lava shells and bamboo massage are meant to be good :)

X

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

I'm not sure about employment laws on the quantity of massage, but have you tried explaining to your employer that your getting far too many aday.

Massage is hard work, even if you do have the correct posture.

Maybe you can explain that if you have to do more than 2 full body's aday, that your treatment will suffer as its taking its toll on you.

Hope they give you the answer that you are after.

We were tood you could do no more then fours of massage a day due to the strain on the body and this is law but i cant find it anywhere includinf habia etc. Someone may have more info but that is what i was told at uni

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

As far as I'm aware there is no law that says the maximum amount of massages you can do in a day. Why are they required to be firm? What sort of massage are you doing?

Hi, i'm a ITEC massage therapist, and as far as I am aware there are no laws, but I would recommend a maximum of 4 hands on massage a day. I try to limit mine to 1-2 a day now (since gaining further holistic & beauty qualifications I'm now able to offer more and don't rely solely on massage). I have been massaging for 8 years, recently going mobile, and I have found that over the years my wrists and lower arms especially get very sore and achy after a few hours massaging, especially deep tissue. It can be physically & mentally exhausting for a therapist, and i would recommend you speak to your employer and explain your concerns. hth

Thanks everyone for ur answers. I actually no longer work in the salon. It's a long story but i had to resign after a back massage left me injured. I didn't get regular breaks and was asked to do them very firm because clients were expecting it. It gradually became more difficult to massage until the day i injured my shoulder n back. Anyway, after 2 weeks of sick i came back and was told to look for another job. She left me a week to do so. I had no choice but to leave as my bookings stopped and she told me if u can't massage i don't need u here.
it's the story so far. Thank u for any other comments.

Thanks everyone for ur answers. I actually no longer work in the salon. It's a long story but i had to resign after a back massage left me injured. I didn't get regular breaks and was asked to do them very firm because clients were expecting it. It gradually became more difficult to massage until the day i injured my shoulder n back. Anyway, after 2 weeks of sick i came back and was told to look for another job. She left me a week to do so. I had no choice but to leave as my bookings stopped and she told me if u can't massage i don't need u here.
it's the story so far. Thank u for any other comments.

Sorry to hear about that, but sounds like you are better off out of there.
If a salon expected you to do very firm massages (that end up injuring you), then they don't know what they are doing.

I don't know whether you were employed or self employed in that salon but if you were employed, it might be worth you looking into your employment rights. I am not up on employment law, but pretty sure that you can't be sacked/asked to leave due to any illness/injury after 2 weeks even if it impacts on the work that you ordinarily did there.

To answer your comment Penny, i was an employee at the salon. I have taken advice from a solicitor but unfortunately they said i should have taken action within 3 months. I am now asking compensation regarding my injury as i can no longer practise beauty.

To answer your comment Penny, i was an employee at the salon. I have taken advice from a solicitor but unfortunately they said i should have taken action within 3 months. I am now asking compensation regarding my injury as i can no longer practise beauty.

There is a precident for that. Virgin Atlantic had to make a hefty pay out to an Inflight Beauty Therapist who suffered RSI from work.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. I was recently employed as a beauty therapist in a hair and beauty salon.
I am required to perform very firm massages at all time and it is starting to cause me a lot of pain. Does anyone know how many massages a day a beautician is meant to do? And is there a law in the profession that notifies it or anything to protect beauticians?
I would be grateful for any information, thank you.
I don't know about the law but as an employer I would never expect my therapists to perform more than 2 per day if deep tissue, it takes 1 1/2 hours and is extremely exhausting, not good if you are being asked to do back to back massage xx

i worked in a chain hotel spa from June last year until last month. we were expected to carry out up to 7 hours of massage on a daily basis if the bookings were there. no time was allotted between clients to have a stretch. some days you could have 3 x 90 minute full body massages in a row or a whole day of 30 minute back massage. it was extremely hard work. neither the leisure or spa manager cared about therapists health and joints. the bottom line was if you didn't like it, leave. which i did. loved my job but love my health more! and of course this was all on minimum wage but that's another complaint altogether! x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i worked in a chain hotel spa from June last year until last month. we were expected to carry out up to 7 hours of massage on a daily basis if the bookings were there. no time was allotted between clients to have a stretch. some days you could have 3 x 90 minute full body massages in a row or a whole day of 30 minute back massage. it was extremely hard work. neither the leisure or spa manager cared about therapists health and joints. the bottom line was if you didn't like it, leave. which i did. loved my job but love my health more! and of course this was all on minimum wage but that's another complaint altogether! x

This is dreadful but I know it happens a lot, then the larger chains wonder why they struggle to obtain and keep good therapists x

I average about 6 hours massage a day in a 10 hour shift and its a killer! I think there needs to be some sort of employment law on this matter however I don't think those who are not massage therapists understand how much massage takes it out of you.

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510e using SalonGeek

I agree, I have worked in others salons before and we would only perform 2 massages at the maximum.
I guess it's the owner's decision. Since I have left, a few other girls did too. I use to love being a beauty therapist and was never afraid of hard work. I have now changed career but beauty will always be on my mind.

I average about 6 hours massage a day in a 10 hour shift and its a killer! I think there needs to be some sort of employment law on this matter however I don't think those who are not massage therapists understand how much massage takes it out of you.

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510e using SalonGeek

Your employer is responsible for ensuring that you do not receive any injuries at work due to the way they have you work i.e. repetitive strain injury. Have a good research into this and pass it on to your employer, prevention is much better than cure. RSI is not fun at all.

I don't know about the law but as an employer I would never expect my therapists to perform more than 2 per day if deep tissue, it takes 1 1/2 hours and is extremely exhausting, not good if you are being asked to do back to back massage xx

I agree, I have worked in previous salons before and we would only perform a maximum of 2 massages a day. Since I have left, a few other girls did too.
I use to love being a beauty therapist and was never afraid of hard work. I have now changed career but beauty will always be on my mind.

I totally understand, I also work for a large hotel chain an of weekends we are expected to 8 hrs of massage an in the week we have mostly regular clients with your regular treatments waxing etc but the weekend clients are mostly out of our control as central reservations can now take control of bookings an take out our breaks to get bookings in 😡 I have had 12 weeks physio on my left wrist because it's done in 😢 I used to love massage when I started can't stand it now xx

I also used to work in a spa for a large chain of hotels. In my 8 hour shift I would maybe do 2 or 3 treatments that's weeny massage, maybe mani, pedi, facial. All the rest of the time it was back massage, full body, back, full body, pop Indian head, back, back, back , full body. I lived massage before I worked there!

LolliDolli💋

Latest posts

Back