How much do Assessors get paid??


Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Well-Known Member
Aug 11, 2008
Reaction score
I know this is a cheeky question but how much generally do Assessors get paid? Im starting my A1 Assessors Award next week and eventually want to go the full way to become a lectuerer at college but i have no idea what kind of salary they are on, does anyone know a rough idea?

Also what kind of jobs could i do with my award? Could i offer my services like once a month worshops or something? I just want some ideas about where i could with this as a career. Any heklp you can give me will be great

Thanks x
Not enough, probably!
I was told about the A1 assessors course last week and was encouraged to do it.
I just think it might open up certain opportunities ???

Depending on the college, and how much they need an assessor, anything from £12 per hour to £27 per hour. You generally get a number of hours to assess a candidate through their award, and then you have to see that candidate as many times as it takes to get them finished. Travelling time and petrol, and marking etc is extra. It honestly isn't a lucrative business.

What you can do to help, is to get your assessor award, work for a year, and then get your verifier award. Your rate of pay will go up - anything from £18 to £35, and you'll do a lot of work from home which helps. Put it is a hard, responsible and boring job. You never feel quite comfortable with what you're doing, always feel you have to justify yourself and, again, it isn't lucrative.

Teaching is paid anywhere from £18 to £60 an hour - don't expect a high rate when you first start. You'll need to get your teaching qualifications and things like prep and marking aren't paid so you probably do about five hours for every hour of teaching at the start.
Thankyou for that. yeah as soon as i fininsh A1 Assessor course im booking straight onto the IV course etc and then work my way up to teaching.

Didnt know if there was like workshops or anything i could offer in my salon or something where i could charge people and assess them?

Thanks again
I would suggest that at the beginning, get on board with an FE college. They should have a huge bank of knowledgable staff and will train you well, which will be a good grounding. The opportunity to branch out later will be there, but only when you've got some good solid experience. There's a lot to learn and it's a skill in its own right, but those who are good at it can earn a good living.
Have you thought of signing up with an agency like Protocol? they will be able to send you assignments.

to be honest, I can't see how you can be an assessor without having done your teaching first, surely thats running before you can walk?
Have you thought of signing up with an agency like Protocol? they will be able to send you assignments.

to be honest, I can't see how you can be an assessor without having done your teaching first, surely thats running before you can walk?

No, not really. In the true sense of the job description, an assessor will attend a place of work or training environment, and decide whether a candidate is competent at a job or not and complete paperwork explaining the decision.

It is true that a lot of FE colleges combine this role with teaching, but that's to save money, and now that there is Train to Gain funding there is more opportunity to work in the original idea of being an assessor.

That said, assessors in many colleges do now need to achieve their PTTLS qualification once they have their assessor award, and having part of all of a teaching qualification would open up more opportunities.
Sidenote: I presume you need a few years in industry behind you before you can consider training/becoming as a lecturer and/or assessor?
It is preferred, by both colleges and awarding bodies, and most awarding bodies used to stipulate a requirement of five years professional experience before training as either an assessor or lecturer but this doesn't exist any longer. This means that somebody could technically study NVQ Level 3, and start teaching NVQ Level 2 immediately without any professional experience. The only requirement would be that they would enrol on a teaching qualification fairly quickly. I'll leave you to make of that what you will....
Is the pettls course the same as the a1 assessors awards course just offered by a different education agency? Or if you train in the pettls etc route, can you also work as a assessor? I saw on a website that the a1 assessor award qualifies you to tutor and assess. Just wondering which would be a better course to do.thanks x

Sent from my iPod touch using SalonGeek
If you want to work as a teacher, you will need to gain the PTTLS qual and then the DTTLS qual. Most providers offer the PTTLS qual as part of the DTTLS qual, but often people self-fund the PTTLS qual, get a teaching post and then the college pays for them to do DTTLS.

If you want to work as an assessor, you will need the A1 qual and the PTTLS qual, but not the DTTLS qual.

However, many teaching posts require you to teach and assess, meaning you would have to get all three quals.

The best advice I can give is to get in touch with a provider - most likely your local FE college, and see if you can get involved with them to decide whether this really is for you. This would save a lot of time and money getting quals that you might not need.
Thanks for the help and information SJK x

Sent from my iPod touch using SalonGeek

Latest posts