How much for a website?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

There are lots of free website options out there, it really depends on
- how comfortable you are with doing it yourself from a tech point of view
- how much time you have
- how much money you have

To get someone to build you a website in something like wordpress (which is really easy for you to then change yourself even if you don't really do tech, it's just like changing a word document) will probably cost you around £500-1000.

The best thing to do before you start is to make a list of what you want on your website, eg a home page with x content, a page on treatments, a contact us page etc. The more clear you are about what you want the easier it is for someone to create your site and therefore cheaper - even if you are doing it yourself it is a good idea to do this get a really good idea of what you want.

In terms of appearing high in search it is down to:
- the content of your site, for example you need to have text on the site, all images are not going to be as effective
- you need to write the words on your site in a way for your audience to easily understand not for SEO
- you need to make sure that all your photos are named, this is so that when Google or another search engine searches your site your photos could come up in the search, if they are called photo234 that won't do anything for you
- Some words that people search are more competitive than others, e.g. hairdresser London will return hundreds of results, whereas hairdresser Halesworth will only return a few, so you need to make sure that the content of your site does contain what you do, so that it appears in search results - think like your client and think what would I look for?
- Link to other sites, I don't mean lots and lots, but then in Google's eyes your site looks more genuine, so link to your social networks, other sites you have a listing on etc

I hope this helps, I have a website where I write on these kind of topics Beauty Business Advice home page Beauty Business Advice if you want to check it out :)

Lara

Good advice. I would say though we charge less than half of your minimum estimate for our wordpress sites ;)

We cater for all packages, all sizes, domains, SEO, branding, marketing to name but a few.

www.littlebigbox.co.uk

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

those saying dont get a free one because you get what you pay for.. well mines a free one and I get alot of business, plenty of bridal bookings and i dont pay a penny for my website! I think if you set it out correctly and the design etc. looks good and everything matches well then it shouldnt matter about whether its free or not.

Ive seen some god awful websites that people pay monthly/yearly for, so its definitely not about the cost it's about the layout and how well it looks.

Hi can I ask where your created your website please? X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I've got Banner penguin on the case for me, after "attempting" a moonfruit one, and feeling quite chuffed with myself...until I saw others and I thought I'd better get the professionals on to it instead lol.

Had a few quotes, but BP won hands down....Can't wait to see it lol

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've decided to go with a local company. Their portfolio is fab. Costing me £799. Could be slightly cheaper if I wished, but I want to pay that little bit extra for the full package and full control of the site after completion. I've shopped around and am happy.

So, it seems prices really do vary.

My web guy is fantastic and believe me - it took a while to find him. I pay £5.00 a week, am on the top of google and if I wan't anything changed then he does it straight away at no extra charge. I am always getting comments on how good my website is.

Not sure I am allowed to pop the details on here so if you need them just PM me and I will pass on.

Carly

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a free Wix one for a while but it had lots of ads and was really slow loading. Recently a client's husband offered to make me a new one. I paid £400 but they said I could pay in treatments. I actually ended up paying half and am doing treatments for the rest because I didn't want to owe that much in treaments. Here it is. www.pearlsbeauty.biz

I had an article published about several reasons why your website is losing you money in April's issue of The Beauty Business Owners Magazine. Download it from iTunes if you'd like to read it. But to keep it basic, don't underestimate the importance of a well designed website. It's not all about SEO, Paid Google Ad's, and etc. Also, don't let a long check list of items a company will do fool you either.

I paid £275 for a content management site via Wordpress. Then £12 odd hosting a month.

I think it was a bit much especially as it was a template provided by Wordpress just customised to my colour and logo but hey what do I know, I'm just a blonde BT ;)

Jemima :)

I'm another wix user.... Xx

Hi just looking on wix, so you pay only £6.20 a year for your domain is that right? Sorry have never made a website before x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a free Wix one for a while but it had lots of ads and was really slow loading. Recently a client's husband offered to make me a new one. I paid £400 but they said I could pay in treatments. I actually ended up paying half and am doing treatments for the rest because I didn't want to owe that much in treaments. Here it is. www.pearlsbeauty.biz

It's always good doing trade swaps :)
I personally think it was a bit of steep side for a theme as it's not from scratch but you saved a lot by trade swapping so works well :)

I paid £275 for a content management site via Wordpress. Then £12 odd hosting a month.

I think it was a bit much especially as it was a template provided by Wordpress just customised to my colour and logo but hey what do I know, I'm just a blonde BT ;)

Jemima :)

Bit excessive if your site wasn't built from scratch on wordpress. I think I need to put my prices up after reading this thread lol.

If you just want a Wordpress theme customised, look on www.peopleperhour.com
The site is full of freelancers and you can see / request reviews from other people and also examples of their work. Prices start from about £25

If you want to buy a full package it's worth looking at www.word-shed.com
For £295 they offer-
1 year domain name registration & hosting
Fully customised website
Optimised for search engine
Business email address
24/7 server support
Copywriting / content marketing
Social media integration eg RSS feed
'How to...' Guide

Last edited:
It's always good doing trade swaps :)
I personally think it was a bit of steep side for a theme as it's not from scratch but you saved a lot by trade swapping so works well :)

Hi BannerPenguin, do you think it was too much then? I was a bit peeved because he said £50 per hour and he thought 4-5 hours so £250. I provided all the information and it was going to be in Wordpress but then I found that template that I liked and it's in Joomla. It took him then 8 hours because I don't think he is familiar with that and I kept seeing things that needed changing but they were things like font/spacing/grammar etc. which I thought he should have done without me having to tell him really. I have worked out how to change the pictures on the main page and can change prices and have added all the reviews myself as well as more information about me to make it more personal but I don't really want to pay him another £50 per hour to train me how to use it!

Hi BannerPenguin, do you think it was too much then? I was a bit peeved because he said £50 per hour and he thought 4-5 hours so £250. I provided all the information and it was going to be in Wordpress but then I found that template that I liked and it's in Joomla. It took him then 8 hours because I don't think he is familiar with that and I kept seeing things that needed changing but they were things like font/spacing/grammar etc. which I thought he should have done without me having to tell him really. I have worked out how to change the pictures on the main page and can change prices and have added all the reviews myself as well as more information about me to make it more personal but I don't really want to pay him another £50 per hour to train me how to use it!

I'm quite familiar with that theme & it is available in Wordpress.
£50 per hour is maybe a bit extreme if a 1 man band or what not. We charge by the whole project. If it takes a week, a month whatever. It get's done when it's ready and client's happy. Some sites take longer, some are quick. It's swings and roundabouts but evens out.

I've used Joomla, Wordpress & Drupal but 99% of our work, specially for the hair and beauty sites, are on Wordpress because all honesty it's much easier for people to change stuff themselves. Think of it like this (how a good friend explained it to me a few years ago);

Wordpress - A ford fiesta. Simple but really can do what you want with it and customise it to the max. Once you get used to it, it's like a comfy pair of slippers :)

Joomla - A Ferrari. Has all the bits and bobs but unless you know what they do and how to use it, it's all a bit wasted. High heel shoes! (haha)

Drupal - Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet Cock Pit. Has everything you can think off and all the features and just looking at it can give you a headache! Throw the shoes away and walk on hot coals!

So annoying, I wish he'd done it on Wordpress, I'm not really a high heels sort of a gal!

Banner penguin has just completed my website I'm very pleased and nothing was too much hassle for them to change things.

I would highly recommend using them.:)

Banner penguin has just completed my website I'm very pleased and nothing was too much hassle for them to change things.

I would highly recommend using them.:)

Thanks for the praise :) always good to hear.

I built mine on vistaprint . Probably not the best but I'm quite proud of it only £70 and your first month free .

I built mine on vistaprint . Probably not the best but I'm quite proud of it only £70 and your first month free .

Only problem is it's no SEO'able. You will never be able to get it up in the rankings unfortunately :(

Latest posts

Back