How sad is this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tonicj

A poem I found earlier.

Just a Staffy Cross.

Today is just another day - to see me they're all the same
I have the worst of genes you see, I bear the "Staffy" shame.
The shame is in our numbers, there's thousands with no home.
Thousands just like me you'll find, in kennels all alone.

My mum was "just a Staffy", my father - well who knows?
Mum, too, became unwanted, as the last puppy goes.
And then begins the process, of money-making deals
A life of "moving on" unfolds, who cares how the Staffy feels?
If you have the cash to hand, the Staffy pup is yours
But that pup is getting bigger now, just look at those big paws.

You bought me for your image, thought I'd make you look more tough
But you'll find my boisterous nature has already got too much.
If you had thought to train me, with kindness and with praise
You would have had a faithful friend to share your darkest days.
I would lay down my life for you, but you simply cannot see
You make sure you get your money back on what you paid for me.

And on it goes, until one day, I'm no longer worth a dime
The retail on an adult staff - not worth the waste of time.
So what happens to a Staffy now? Do you really want to know?
Do you care what will become of us, when we leave our final home.

Have you ever thought to wonder, "Where is the Staffy now?"
The "Staffy" has another name; he's become a "stray" somehow.
Me, I was put into a car and driven far away.
The door held open, I jumped out, I thought to run and play.
It was with joy and happy heart I turned to look for you
You drove away with all my trust and a piece of my heart too.

I wondered round for many days before I was brought here.
Now I wait with heavy heart, trepidation and with fear.
Seven days is all I have you see, seven days for your to claim
The little dog that you threw out, for which you have no shame.

This is my last goodbye now my seven days are up
If only more thought had gone into the future of that pup
As the needle empties to my veins I lay down with one last sigh
I'm sorry I was born a Staffy, because it means that I must die :sad:

Oh gosh, this nearly broke my heart and not only applies to this breed. Just want to say please think long and hard before you get a dog. There are so many abandoned every day. If you are not prepared to put the work in, then buy something else!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so heart breaking. We rescued our Staffie cross and she did take quite a bit of training but she is family love her to pieces, coming up to two years since we got her and her behaviour has taken a 360° turnaround because she knows how much we love her. Hate the thought of other Staffies (and other breeds) being used as a trophy of macho image and then 'thrown away' when they get bored. X x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

That made me cry :( I love staffies there such loving and loyal dogs and that stories and bad rep they have break my heart x

I heard an interview on Radio2, with Kate Humble, when she recounted a dog experiment to see which breed has the most empathy with humans. Basically, Staffies approach humans they don't know, who appear to be in distress, and sit on their laps, lick them and cuddle up to them. They are the best breed for this.
I have just had a lovely kiss from a strange Staffie in a local bar today. I think they are beautiful.

Arggggh this just made me cryyyy. I'm say in living room with my fella and his mates and they all just looked at me gone out :( I tried to explain but got too sad haha :( it's so true it's heart breaking xx

Laura xx

awww this is so so sad :'( poor staffies xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek mobile app

Very sad but true x I have a rescue dog hard work but loved lots. X

Made me cry!! I have a beautiful staffy and she's the gentlest most soppiest and loving dog I've ever known, people need to think hard before getting a dog!! Xxx

"Image" I only see unemployed with theses dogs and due to the chaotic types that often chose to own these dogs they often end up in the pound, don't believe me visit one, should be called staffie home! If staffies had the same owners as Labradors they would not have the image! I get nervous when my dog meets with a staffie their jaws lock and if their owner looks a bit thick it is a terrible combination. Someone on my Facebook had one and she gave it when she got pregnant, it's a certain type who get rid of their dog so easily and I do not approve of it, a dog is for life!

Owners are at fault not dogs.
However, I think even the most loved dogs pick up fear/dislike from humans, and react accordingly.
Although, as a child, I was bitten, I have no fear of dogs, and I have never had a problem with them.
I have observed, though, that my people-pleasing Schnauzer does not take to dog-fearing humans.

I don't know what a Staffy is but I'm typing through the tears. What a sad poem.

Oh god that pulled in the heart strings, we've had staffies for years and they're adorable 😢

No animal should be treated this way :(

When I read this I had so many emotions. The first was deep deep sadness, then anger followed by loads of hugs to my dogs. Remember if our dog's mess up it's our fault and not theirs. We owe it to them to walk them daily and to spend time with them no matter how we are feeling. When we decide to get a pet we have a responsibility to them until the end of their short lives and remember they love us unconditionally.

That's really sad, especially considering the fact that it happens. I have a shih tzu and the thought if leaving him miles from home and him walking around aimlessly for days is heart breaking. :(

That made me cry...

I really wish people wouldn't have pets if they can't commit to the years that they're going it be in their lives.

I treat my cats like they're part of the family, because they are.

Xx

Thank you all for the hearts. Each heart was an extra kiss to my gorgeous dogs xx

We got our staffie cross ,Cleo, from the dog rescue 6yrs ago. She still will not go out in the back yard on her own and will still nip us if we go to take her lead off too quickly, she must have flash backs of being hit. Its taken years to get her as good and happy as she is now.
My sons looked after her this summer while we went away, we came back to find they had got her a little friend, a 1yr old staffie they had seen for sale on facebook. When i a had finished shouting at them cos i really didnt want another dog i looked at him and my heart melted, he is beautiful. He was called Tyson but he isnt a big hard dog, they changed his name to Perry. One of my sons was asked the other day if it was Tyson and the guy said that Tyson had ate his dope afew months ago at a house party!!! Thank goodness we have him now, the poem is just what would probably have happened to him.

Latest posts

Back