How thin is your L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey ladies jumping over from hair, just a quick question ... had my nails done by a friend who's training at college she reckoned they were fine and this is how thick they should be, they are soo thick i can't even open a can of pop :| is there anything i can do to make them thinner apart from filing as that would take 4ever ??
any reply would be much appreciated
Thanks ladies

Hey ladies jumping over from hair, just a quick question ... had my nails done by a friend who's training at college she reckoned they were fine and this is how thick they should be, they are soo thick i can't even open a can of pop :| is there anything i can do to make them thinner apart from filing as that would take 4ever ??
any reply would be much appreciated
Thanks ladies

They will have to be filed. No other way around it!

Here are mine. Picture of arch and thickness. Just like Chelsea, my thickness also varies! I do a bit thicker on myself!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355865185.571044.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355865185.571044.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 191
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355865215.147575.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355865215.147575.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 201
I've done an overlay set today which was a fraction of my previous sets, but think its still a little thicker than others posted pictures.
But don't mind seeing how they last & reducing again if needed.

Thanks for the photos you lovely geeks !!

Hi, I'm a nail tech student (two months in and basically teaching myself at a cosmetology school). What does L&P stand for? Thank you.

Liquid and polymer. (Acrylic)

You're welcome.

Right, just done 1 hand with white tips, white powder on tips & pink.
Know some of them look like the beds too short, esp on the thumb but I have really odd shaped nail beds naturally & couldn't fit forms to the nails.
Am hoping the attach pic works as I'm on my iPhone !!

Haven't put the top gel layer on so excuse the unfinished look !!

I have stolen your photo lol this is to try to show you what I mean as I'm c#%p at explaing myself lol

There is more to nails than adding a tip and overlay , the design it a huge part to. Your nails as they are do not work with that shape , maybe if it was more tapered look with an extended custom nail bed color , or just shorter , with french try to go for a 3/4 pink to 1/4 white ,

The large step at the "cuticle end " can be easily avoided by holding your brush or clients nail at the right angle , our lovely Geeg has a fab book ( nail class ) that will share how todo this , and she has been kind enough to share some of it here on the site for us geeks , here's a link ; http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9200-product-control-part-4-zone-3-making-disappear.html

I hope this helps?

:D Ceri

Here is your pic , and tweaks by me not perfect but you get the idea :)
by the way , im not saying they have to be square , it was the easyest shape while finger painting on my i pad lol
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1355868672.138381.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, I know the 1's I did on myself were not the right shape really, but wanted to get the thinness correct more than anything.
Now I sort of know where I'm going with that, I can put into practice my extending & shaping, as I know from previous sets, this part has been sort of ok.
I just needed to do the thickness/thinness test.

Thanks for your help, I know the 1's I did on myself were not the right shape really, but wanted to get the thinness correct more than anything.
Now I sort of know where I'm going with that, I can put into practice my extending & shaping, as I know from previous sets, this part has been sort of ok.
I just needed to do the thickness/thinness test.

im so confused then , the free edge shape is uneve , if you know they wear not quite right wouldn't evening them up of helped you to see the thickness of the free edge ?

the other thing that i guess i am trying to say is that to understand the thickness you need to see the nail as a whole in 3D . with robo cop / robo nail tech eyes!

you need to see the lengh finished shape curves from all angles in order to make the nail .

the nail as a whole is NOT one thickness ! it is thin in zone 3 so thin it is just about flush with the natural nail just as it is in the curve of the side walls ,
it gradually thicks ever so slightly as it reaches toward the free edge and continues to thicken until it reaches the apex the highest point "the stress area" of zone 2 ,

and then it begins to thin ever so slightly and gradually untill it reaches the free edge .

so there is no one magic thickness , it is a 3d object .

Here are a couple more photos of my thickness.. I definitely have to agree with Mizzy.. In zone 3 mine is very flush to the point that you can't tell where the growth is then gradually gets thicker then thinner again. Just hang in there. You'll get there! We all started somewhere. I had a lot of troubles with l&p at first..then finally one day after pushing myself enough and practicing enough I got it..

Hope the photos help.. (I just thought since nails are such a visual thing it would be nice to have some more photos.. I know i'm not perfect, just wanting to help!) :hug:

Attachments

• 747_320029358112705_1367042665_n.jpg
    747_320029358112705_1367042665_n.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 130
  • photo-9-1.jpg
    photo-9-1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 126
  • photo-8-1.jpg
    photo-8-1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 120
  • photo-10.jpg
    photo-10.jpg