How to ‘dump’ difficult client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorgeouslocks21

Reaction score
I do hair Extensons and have a client who constantly complains/nit picks about the way I do things/her hair at her appointments. I have said a few times if your not happy with how I do it maybe you’d prefer to go to someone else. But she dosnt and stays with me.
Every time I see her Iam nervous for what next she will complain about it effects my confidence, I work from home so it is very awkward at times.
I just do not feel happy or comfortable doing her hair.
All my other clients are lovely.
Does anyone have a way of getting out of doing it ?
She never books for her maintenance in advance she always waits until last minute so I am thinking of just saying Iam fully booked and recommending someone else who is happy to take on more Clients .
I can’t really be honest and say it’s because she always complains because when I have mentioned that she says no I’m happy and stays.
Opinions?

Take the trade honey! Don't turn down money. Even though shes a moaner! xx or stick your prices up...lol xx

I think you should be very firm and tell her that her constant nitpicking and negative comments are affecting you and you’ve decided that you’re no longer willing to offer her an appointment.

If she keeps coming back even after she complains, you must be doing something right. I think its important we understand some people moan, it is part of their personality and make a conversation out of moaning.

Take the trade honey! Don't turn down money. Even though shes a moaner! xx or stick your prices up...lol xx

I really don’t agree. No one is worth ruining your happiness over, even if they are paying you. Would I accept money for someone to make me unhappy or give me anxiety? Absolutely not.

I’ve went through this with a client, and I could not get rid of her, it was awful. Even more so as I work from home. I no longer do her hair after 3 long years. And now I am much more picky with clients. I am grateful that I am fortunate enough to be able to turn clients away if I get a bad vibe, and have the guts to turn clients down if I get treated bad or don’t like the attitude/vibe I get. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t happen often! I don’t go around blocking everyone who gets cheeky lol! But if they do give me bad anxiety or are particularly rude, well, I’m too old and too long in this game to take it anymore.

I would say something along the lines of “it seems to me that no matter what I do, I don’t make you happy or meet your expectations, I would perhaps advise you to find somewhere else who could maybe meet your expectations better than I do” it’s not great but you get the jist :)

In the past I’ve just ignored messages, blocked them from the page, and they still try and contact me, even after months! Some people can’t take a hint ‍♀️

I really don’t agree. No one is worth ruining your happiness over, even if they are paying you. Would I accept money for someone to make me unhappy or give me anxiety? Absolutely not.

I’ve went through this with a client, and I could not get rid of her, it was awful. Even more so as I work from home. I no longer do her hair after 3 long years. And now I am much more picky with clients. I am grateful that I am fortunate enough to be able to turn clients away if I get a bad vibe, and have the guts to turn clients down if I get treated bad or don’t like the attitude/vibe I get. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t happen often! I don’t go around blocking everyone who gets cheeky lol! But if they do give me bad anxiety or are particularly rude, well, I’m too old and too long in this game to take it anymore.

I would say something along the lines of “it seems to me that no matter what I do, I don’t make you happy or meet your expectations, I would perhaps advise you to find somewhere else who could maybe meet your expectations better than I do” it’s not great but you get the jist :)

In the past I’ve just ignored messages, blocked them from the page, and they still try and contact me, even after months! Some people can’t take a hint ‍♀️

No I don’t feel it is worth the money ether .
I have so many lovely clients i don’t want all my thoughts to be about her making negative comments on my work when everyone else is happy.

Iam also lucky enough to be in a position we’re i don’t need her money, so If it’s going to cause me stress I’d rather not do it.
Iam just going to say Iam fully booked. I have tried to get rid of her before by telling her i don’t feel like she is happy with me so to go elsewhere and it’s didn’t so work.

I just feel like because I did her Extensons Iam like obliged/ have to do her maintenance.

Trying to get rid of client is probably the most stressful thing lol

Your job is hard enough babes. Don’t let ANYONE affect your mental health. Don’t take anymore appointments with her. However which way you feel. White lies or flat out tell her ( the latter is harder, but gives you better closure on it).
You have other clients. And you’ll get more.

Don't let her treat you like this.Block her x

Don't let her treat you like this.Block her x

Get rid! If you are busy you get to chose !
Say unfortunately you are fully booked when she wants an appointment.
Then when she comes back and gets arsey.
Say something like this .....
Although I understand your frustration, many of my clients book in advance and I am taking well earned time off (even if you are not ) which means unfortunalty all of my appointments are booked for the next 6 weeks. As your extensions will drop / be un- maintainable by this point I can recommend xxxx who has a very good reputation in the area.

If she is rude after this say......

I'm afraid I feel it best if you find another extensionist to do your hair. During and after all of your appointments I feel you are unhappy as you have said such things like xxxxxx (use examples ) and this is making being your extensionist difficult. I hope you understand, take care X

THEN IGNORE x

Get rid! If you are busy you get to chose !
Say unfortunately you are fully booked when she wants an appointment.
Then when she comes back and gets arsey.
Say something like this .....
Although I understand your frustration, many of my clients book in advance and I am taking well earned time off (even if you are not ) which means unfortunalty all of my appointments are booked for the next 6 weeks. As your extensions will drop / be un- maintainable by this point I can recommend xxxx who has a very good reputation in the area.

If she is rude after this say......

I'm afraid I feel it best if you find another extensionist to do your hair. During and after all of your appointments I feel you are unhappy as you have said such things like xxxxxx (use examples ) and this is making being your extensionist difficult. I hope you understand, take care X

THEN IGNORE x
Thankyou so much !! Perfect thing to say

The fact you are asking advice speaks volumes, it’s just not worth it, politely tell her if she’s going to complain it’s better to find somewhere else, if like you say it doesn’t work, be slightly more assertive And firm but not aggressive, and tell her I’m sorry I’m not going to do your hair anymore I find it upsetting, rather than, maybe you should go somewhere else if your not happy, basically moving it from, “if you are not happy” to “I AM NOT HAPPY” because your not :0( life is not worth it and indirectly, it’s a form of bullying xxxx

Latest posts

Back