How to Choose a Hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodle

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a question for all you Hair Geeks, although Nail and Skin Geeks are of course welcome to post replies too though.

As some of you know, I have recently moved home and but I am now in search of a new hairdresser and need your help/advice if possible please.

Admittedly, I tend to leave it quite a while between appointments but essentially, I need a cut every so often, as well as application of a semi-permanent colour.

Here's the question then. In your opinion, is it best to be recommended to a hairdresser, or should I just bite the bullet, go into a salon (asking for a senior or particular stylist) and hope for the best?

I don't know what to do, but I do know that I look like the wild woman of Borneo at the moment and need to get it sorted! :lol:

I await your replies, and thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

Recommendations are good if you see and like the hair of the person recommending them to you, but what one person likes another may not, the style may look nice but the recommended hairdresser may not be able to do as good for you with a different style.

I usually try a reasonable mid range salon and bite the bullet if I want a restyle from long to short, but with just a trim I don't really think there is much in it between each hairdresser. Before I was a Hairdresser I always did my own fringe as that is all I am particular about and I still do the same now.

Maybe try walking past a few town salons on a Saturday morning and see how busy they are and the age ranges of people in them having their hair done. I am sure that a busy Saturday morning salon with clients around your age would be a good salon otherwise they would be a bit dead.

I'm no hair geek Karen but I am a fellow Wild Woman From Borneo :lol:

If you are new to the area who will you get the recommendations from?
I think recommendations are good...but it's like recommending a restaurant...it's not always to everyone's taste...

I would look for a busy salon...and personally...I would go slightly out of town.
I can't stand [email protected] just do whatever they want to your hair without any regard for your wishes...in my humble opinion of course :lol:

Take the bull by the horns and go for one that just tickles your fancy and hope for the best...and maybe be a stalker for an hour or so and see what walks out of their door :lol:

go into any salon , and ask to speak to somebody about your hair , if you connect and are on the same wavelength make an appointment with them , if not , go to another salon . Its important that you are comfortable both with the salon surroundings and with the stylist that will be doing your hair ,also , try looking for a stylist that has similar hair to your own , they will know where you are coming from on a day to day basis .

I went to a Salon (country wide one) and went thru three hairdressers (including the manager) before having Kev, who Ive stuck with. (he's not the most expensive there either, Ive found price doesnt always mean quality)

Ive gotta say I love the way he does my hair and he's great to chat with :green: on my xmas list for sure.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back