How to cope when your really busy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heather78

Reaction score
Hi, I’ll try and keep this short. I just wandered how you all cope when your really busy. I’ve been back in business 3years after a long maternity break. I’m currently fully booked 3months ahead. I don't want to work any more hours but I’m worried about losing regulars who haven’t booked up in advance ‍♀️ My prices went up last month and no one has battered an eyelid. It’s only me as I’m a home based salon although very separate from the house. I’m just wandering is it time to say no more new clients? Nervous to say that though as I always think it’s good to keep new people coming in in case an old regular stops coming?? I’m feeling a little stressed about it as my week starts today and I know there’s clients in this week who haven’t got further appointments booked but will be hoping for an appointment in about a months time any advice appreciated

Get into a routine of asking your clients to book their following appointment before they leave.

Point out how successful your little salon has become in a ‘isn’t it great that I have so many clients’ breezy kind of way rather than ‘I’m far too busy and successful for you now’. Be exasperated that you can’t possibly do any more hours than you’re already doing. Stress about how much you really enjoy seeing them every x weeks and unfortunately, you can only guarantee their slot if they book it now.

If they can’t immediately get booked in when they want to because you’re too busy, they will start booking ahead to secure their slot. Most people who are happy with their hairdresser, don’t like to try someone new without a really strong incentive so they just need to get used to booking ahead.

Try not to worry about becoming successful. ;)

Get into a routine of asking your clients to book their following appointment before they leave.

Point out how successful your little salon has become in a ‘isn’t it great that I have so many clients’ breezy kind of way rather than ‘I’m far too busy and successful for you now’. Be exasperated that you can’t possibly do any more hours than you’re already doing. Stress about how much you really enjoy seeing them every x weeks and unfortunately, you can only guarantee their slot if they book it now.

If they can’t immediately get booked in when they want to because you’re too busy, they will start booking ahead to secure their slot. Most people who are happy with their hairdresser, don’t like to try someone new without a really strong incentive so they just need to get used to booking ahead.

Try not to worry about becoming successful. ;)
Thank you for your reply I do feel silly for getting stressed! I’m actually Beauty and have some clients who book in 2 weekly! I’ve got probably 50% of my regular clients have booked up to Xmas, it’s the other 50% just don’t seem to grasp it!!

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Once people realised they couldn't book quite so easily they too started to book ahead.

Sometimes it just takes some people a bit longer to get used to changing what they've always done.

Apologies, I wasn’t paying enough attention. The school holidays have started here so I’m juggling too many things in my head at the moment. o_O

My clients book months in advance, and it really helps me to know where I stand. Like you i would encourage 3 appointments at a time - so 3 months in advance is good. If those dopey ones that don't get it , just educate them and possibly let them see your bookings so that they know you are a very busy lady. Well done!
Maybe you do have to let few go afterall so that you are less stressed, and there's no problem with that. It's your business.
Good luck ... I call myself Mrs stressbucket when I am too busy and that is unfortunately only something in your power to change.
x

Work smart not hard is my mantra because I'm basically lazy. Your clients are responsible for their own actions...remind them to book their future appointments if they want a specific slot. If they chose not too that is their issue not yours, don't micro manage and don't feel guilty. You've asked if they want to book, they've refused, it's their responsibility now. Don't work more hours, put your prices up again in six months. As I'm lazy I'd rather do one client for £30 than 2 for £15. I suspect your prices are probably too low anyway so a further increase will not be an issue. If it is then let the client go elsewhere, they'll be back when they realise just how good you are and how much you are worth. If not, the space is free for a better client paying the new going rate.

Latest posts

Back