How to fix patchy blonde?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandora

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new and looking for some help. sorry for long post but I'm frazzled and getting desperate!

I have home coloured my hair for years after a major disaster at a salon. Only in the last 18 months have I taken to having a mobile hairdresser my mom uses cut my hair so distressing was my experience. I have hair that is naturally blonde to dark blonde and down to about my bra strap in length, fine hair but lots of it. I lighten it and have been using Nice n Easy after I found L'oreal to be losing effectiveness. The last few times my roots and underneath layers have not been lifting to the shade of the rest of my hair. Today I tried the SB2 colour and followed the instructions for a root application. My hair is now noticeably patchier than before. The ends of the front section are almost white, the hair above that is a light gold blonde which gets darker towards the roots. If I tie it back it doesn't look horrendous but when it's down the really light ends are super noticeable.

Obviously I need to fix this and am a bit scared of how to do this. I was thinking returning to dark blonde and giving up the very blonde look which is scary as I've not been near my natural colour for about 20 years - have been much darker, redder and plummer as well as lighter. My husband thinks I should ask the woman who cuts my hair to fix it with some highlights but I'm kind of worried about just asking for that in case there are other options. I know a forum isn't a great place to ask but it's a Bank holiday I was wondering if anyone could help out with what the options are? That's if the mobile is up for fixing me.

Firstly, please stop trying to do it yourself, lets face it, its not looking good is it?

You could ask your mobile to have a look and advise you what can be done, just be aware that mobile hairdressers dont have access to as many products as salons do.

My advice is to bite the bullet and book into the best salon in your area. Have a few consultations with different salons first until you find one where you are comfortable and happy. There are many remedies available to your problem, however, for all of them you need a professional.

I just wish I knew a good salon! Before the big salon disaster I had consultations at several places for cuts and a lot were not interested in my long curlyish hair. In fact more than one told me that they would straighten my hair and recommend some straighteners rather than let me walk out with curls! I did use Francesco salons but found after the first couple of visits where they were really nice they changed to be more of a conveyor belt system. Many places just wanted to push a bob! Hence why after the disaster I stopped going for years until a few chats with mum's mobile relaxed me enough to let her get the scissors out! I am still a nervy sitter.

I'm quite happy to leave the fixing to a hairdresser but if someone could indicate some of my choices it'd be easier for me to start getting my head around. Maybe a reversion to near natural may be best as I am not going to be able to afford regular salon hair colours - foil highlights cost me £50 in 2001 (pre-disaster).

Any good wolverhampton/walsall salon recs would also be good.

It is impossible to give specific advice on the net, as I would need to see and feel your hair. Also your wishes have to be taken into account.

A word of advice, the really good hairdressers are gonna be expensive. Long curly hair would not be in any way a problem to an experienced stylist. You really really get what you pay for in hairdressing.

I have no idea on prices in your local area so cant advise.

Luckily my hair seems immune to the trauma of dye so it shouldn't need cutting off! I bleached a black undercolour out in my younger days and the next time I went to have it cut the hairdresser was amazed at how good a condition it was in! I'm happy to colour it but could never have extensions - the idea of someone else's hair grosses me out!!!

Hi, I'm new and looking for some help. sorry for long post but I'm frazzled

Hi Pandora , I thought you meant your hair was frazzled.....
glad to hear that it is not ..... and you dont need any cut off !.....

I do hope you find an experienced professional colourist before it gets to that frazzled stage by even more home colouring
good luck :hug: minky

Hi Pandora, your problem is relativly common with home hair colours. Im a mobile hairdresser myself and come across this alot. The main problem is that when you apply a colour lighter then your natural you really dont need to put it through the ends, this will cause the colour on the mid lengths and ends to continusley go lighter and lighter with each application. Only apply colours to the root area and once every 5-6 months lightly mist the hair with warm water and massage the remaining colour through to your ends, for the last 5 mintues, then wash of as directed.
This doesnt help with your current problem but will help in future if you choose to continue with home colouring.

I would suggest you ask a stylist to put in some light brown highlights using foils/meche, this is the best way to resolve the problem. The only other option you have is to go a few shades darker all over. Dont forget summer is coming up so your hair will lighten naturally with the sun.

Hope this helps. :p

Latest posts

Back