How to keep my salon open, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love Your Hair

Reaction score
Hi there

I have been open for 1 year and 4 months, and it has been going really well, the response from clients has been better than i hoped and positive feedback.
But.. i opened this by myself, i am the only hair stylist at the moment and i do absolutely everything, i am 31 and had a couple opportunity in my 20's to open a salon but didn't because i wanted it to be 'perfect', i finally realized i just had to 'get started', so i did, i got a business bank loan and threw some savings into it ( i started this salon with a very small amount)

I know it takes years to build and make profit but the salon is not quite paying for itself yet, when it comes around to the rent being paid, my wonderful husband puts it in from extra hours he has worked, but we can no longer do this and i am going to get very stuck, i feel the only thing to do is to get another loan but i don't think they will accept this, its very heart breaking as my salon is quite unique, and people love it and i just dont know what to do!

when i first opened i almost made it into a blow dry bar but didn't, but my
ideas naturally went to blow dry packages etc and people loved them, i now feel should i have done that 'just a blow dry bar'
would i have been busier? or am i feeling this sudden direction change because of the position I'm in?!

my concept is the opposite to fitting clients in where possible, loads of styling chairs etc, and there is nothing like this in this area , and people love this, but i need more traffic, i have done a lot of good advertising, constantly posting, constantly putting myself out there, done small events and to my regulars it looks like I'm everywhere doing amazing, and i am but its not enough!

I just introduced a blow dry menu but feel if i go that route i have to FULLY go it and say that's what i am?
Do i just accept that i need more funding or the salon doors close :'(

Oh and by the way i am looking for staff now only on a rent chair bases as this is all i can do at the moment, as i know more people in the salon brings fresh energy and ideas!

Do i get a salon coach in ? any ideas please would be so grateful, I'm loosing hope

Thank you :confused:

Rent a chair is a fab way of doing it but mk sure you get someone who already has clients or they either won't be earning it will take whoever comes through the door!
Maybe get a nail station in? That way there's no fear of them taking your clients and will attract new clients?
Ever thought about doing a groupon/wowcher? Even though u make hardly any money it's still advertising to ppl who would never know you were ther! I did this and took their contact numbers/email addresses and if we have a quiet spell msg them the offer that attracted them in the first place but without having to give commission to the company.
Also think outside the box, you have a salon use the space ie- phsycic nights/ make up party's/ handbag party's etc,and when ppl you don't know turn up advertise yourself, sell what you do, give them your price lists etc.... If you were to get just 1 new client every month it's 1 new client u wouldn't if had before! Hope this helps x

What is your concept/vision as you said it isn't quite a blow dry bar, also where is it based? Are you in a city? The blow dry bar idea works great in London and Manchester etc but not sure how well it would translate to a suburban/rural setting.

It's really natural for businesses to not even break even in the first year so don't panic too much.

I would go back to your business plan, how far off target are you? What's working well for you etc? It takes way more than cutting skills to run a successful business you need to try and start being strategic I think and most of all don't loose hope xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there thank you for your reply

The salon is a country farmhouse/vintage feel/setting, calm environment, its like a salon alternative really, clients love the one to one with their stylist, yeah i think i am going to look at the things that are working, note all the things that clients like and maybe work with what is working

The Salon is in whetstone north London, so maybe a bit too rural for a blow dry bar, sometimes its hard to stay on track and that's when i can start having doubts and changing direction,
Well the rent is due in 6 weeks and i don't even have half of it, i guess thats still time for me to make it up

Yes i think i am going to go back to my plan

This has helped thank you

Hello thank you for your reply

I have not looked into group on yet, i will take a look and i like the idea of events in the salon IE make up party etc,
Yes i am going to do a bit of research into renting a chair

Thank you, will get my thinking hat on :)

Don't give up, business is hard, especially on your own, try cutting bk in costs where you can, think of what does and doesn't work and capitalise on it! Ru too cheap? Maybe add an extra £2 on to everything ! Good luck!! You will be fine 😃x

I would definitely look into renting a chair out. The rent I get from my treatment rooms makes all the difference. Put out feelers or put an ad on here. Don't make it too cheap and I personally wouldn't do it on a percentage share in case they don't have many clients. Maybe do a lower rate for the first 4/6 weeks to help a newbie but after that, it's business!

Good luck - they say that it takes about 2 years to make a go of it - at the beginning of this year we were struggling but the improvement in 6 months has been phenomenal and we're expanding our premises. I then had enquiries as to whether I let the rooms out and it's kind of all come together!
Hang in there

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think the blowdry bar is a bit past it now. We don't have that weekly blowdry culture so much in the UK any more. Even the 'going out' blowdry isnt as popular as what it used to be.

I believe the future is in express colour bars- quick affordable colour appointments, where the client can even blowdry their own hair, try out products in a selected station.

Whetstone is quiet a commuter place, young professionals working in London and family's? Nothing better than a quick colour appt!

I think the blowdry bar is a bit past it now. We don't have that weekly blowdry culture so much in the UK any more. Even the 'going out' blowdry isnt as popular as what it used to be.

I believe the future is in express colour bars- quick affordable colour appointments, where the client can even blowdry their own hair, try out products in a selected station.

Whetstone is quiet a commuter place, young professionals working in London and family's? Nothing better than a quick colour appt!

I like this idea, people don't have as much "luxury" money anymore, there's quite a few clients who will say oooh just a wet cut il dry it myself at home... Purely because it's slightly cheaper, if as you said you had a section where they could do it themselves, try products it could encourage them to buy the products- profit, cut down your own time on styling, so could fit another client in etc.
Utilising space you've got is key, when you rent out you know your garunteed that money wether your busy or not x

Latest posts

Back