How to put dark hair light!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon h

Reaction score
Hi, I had my hair coloured yesterday by a hairdresser and it is really dark, what can i do?
I had blonde & caramel highlites in my hair and wanted to go back brown.

when I rang the hairdresser I asked for a warm nice brown, but not dark (this was stated at least 5 times i dont want to be really dark brown) as it really does make my face pale and washed out.

Well she put a permanant brown on my hair, even wet it looked black (when she took the dye out). i said that is really dark she said that will go 2 shades lighter when dry, so I thought ok no worries, she dried it and straightened it and it was still really dark more like a black than a brown colour, with the odd rust bits in it. I said i am not happy with this colour at all. she said everyone says that when they go from blonde to brown. I thought maybe in daylight it might not look so bad as it did in the house light, but it looks no better.

Any ideas what I can do to take the colour down as it really is very dark, my family have said it looks so dark it matches my black uniform :(

Im sorry that you are unhappy with your color, Your stylist may have a point you do get used to seeing yourself in a certain way and moving from blonde to brunette may take some adjustment :D
Did you do a formal consultation did you and your stylist choose a color together from a color book ?? Go and speak to the stylist and talk about what your options are.

IT IS A BIT OF A SHOCK TO GO DARK AFTER BEING BLONDE. A QUICK FIX THAT YOU COULD DO YOURSELF IS TO SHAMPOO YOUR HAIR IN A CLARIFYING SHAMPOO, SOMETHING THAT REMOVES PRODUCT BUILD UP. LEAVE THE SHAMPOO ON THE HAIR AND PUT A PLASTIC BAG ON YOUR HAIR AND USE A HAIRDRYER FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES. THIS WILL OPEN THE CUTICLE AND REMOVE SOME OF THE COLOUR, IT COULD GIVE YOU 1 - 2 SHADES LIGHTER. REPEAT IF NECESSARY. THIS IS A QUICK FIX FOR YOU TO DO YOURSELF, ANYTHING MORE YOU WILL NEED TO CONSULT A STYLIST. HOPE THIS HELPS. THE COLUR WILL GRADUALLY LIGHTEN OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS NATURALLY, BUT IF YOU REALLY CANT LIVE WITH IT TRY THIS FIRST. HOPE THAT HAS HELPED YOU
:p

Thank you both for replying. the hairdresser did not go through a colour guide. we met each other a couple of times but she had never done my hair before. I rang her and asked if she could fit me in to have a colour & cut. said i wanted to get rid of the blonde and caramel and go back brown as i was fed up with blonde hair. she said ok booked me in, came and just put a brown on my hair. she said it was a nice brown and it was not dark brown. I can honestly say i am not in shock as i have had brown hair for many years, it is simply way to dark and more like black to me. i will try the clarifying shampoo can you recommend any? or where i can buy it from as I have no idea.

Really appreciate your feedback thank you x

Yes matrix have a shampoo called alternate action which works really well. If you find a local matrix salon they will be able to order one for you from their local matrix distributor if they do not one in stock.

Quite a few brands have a clarifying range ...ive often found head and shoulders fades color really fast, you could also go to a decent salon and ask if they have a any clarifying shampoos you can buy from them.

Thank you. I contacted the hairdresser and she said she has got half hour spare tomorrow so she can nip in and put the product on and informed me I am to leave it on for 45 mins then wash it out as she is really busy. I said no I am not happy with that. I asked what she was planning to put on my hair she replied the same colour!! I am no hairdresser so putting the same colour over my hair again would that not go darker? I am really dark/black in places as it is then lighter in other places where i guess the colour has not taken.

what would you guys do if you were in my situation as i really do not want to go any darker? and it is permanant dye :sad:

Tint wont lift tint so another colour is not the answer. Try the shampoo yourself first, and yes head and shoulders will work. Dont have another colour on it may go darker.

thank you so much rendezvous for replying. I thought it might make the dark areas even darker. I am going to nip to asda and get some head & shoulders and give that ago. would you get head & shoulders for coloured hair? as i use l'oreal elvive for highlighted hair at the minute. as i should imagine knowing my luck there is a wide range of head & shoulders bottles to choose from lol or just normal head & shoulders. my son uses head & shoulders anti dandruff shampoo for men. also do you need shampoo and conditioner in head & shoulders? (sorry for silly questions)

no just the basic one for dandruf it has a high ph and will open the cuticle and release some of the colour pigment. wet hair put on lots of shampoo leave it in put on a plastic bag and secure it with a hair clip then blast with your dryer for 10 mins. rinse, you will see the colour coming out, dry a bit of hair to see if it has taken out enough colour, if not repeat it wont harm your hair. dont use it all the time as you will see it will strip out your colour. go back to a professional colour care shampoo after. good luck let me know how you get on. :p

head and shoulders work great, but when i used to change colours the best ting I found to fade the colour was cheap washing up liquid. I know its not the most professional answer but it honestly works really well, just a trick my mam used to do when i used to ruin my hair :) it does leave hair dry tho so make sure u use conditioner x

Latest posts

Back