How to reject invitations without coming across as a massive killjoy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristalinx

Reaction score
As the title says I'm looking to see what other geeks would do in my situation. I just qualified as a level 2 hairdresser and all the other girls on my course want to go out the night of our last college day and get in their words "trashed". The thing is I hate drinking and really hate going out when everyone else is drunk.

I feel like I can't get out of it because whenever it's been brought up they all say "oh you have to come, don't be silly, you ARE coming". I have nothing against these girls, they are a nice group but I don't want to follow them around town all night. If you were in this situation would you think I was being rude if I said I didn't want to go. Should I just put up and go?

Could you perhaps all go for food first then you slip off after & they can carry on.
Either be direct & say you don't drink & don't like going out with a group of people drinking. Or make arrangements to do something else, that way you can make excuses & you won't feel guilty because your doing something you enjoy.

Buy a box of cakes or a tin of sweets and say that you love them all :rolleyes: but you can't make it ... tell them to eat the cakes, have a drink on your behalf and stay safe.

I would pretend I'm ill (even just from the thought of it)

I've had 3 invitations for tomorrow. I feel bad but I have had to chose. Why do we feel so bad for pleasing ourselves? Is it a female thing?

I don't know, I normally go with either "I have other plans" or "I'm not well" but we are doing hair for a fashion show at 6 on the night so they want to go straight from there. I might suggest the meal idea that sounds like a good plan.

I'm terrible for pleasing people, I got offered an apprenticeship and then told the manager she could call me in whenever she needed because I felt bad she was short staffed. It's all voluntary but I couldn't stop myself. It was like word vomit. XD

In this situation Id probably just go for an hour, show my face & make my excuses & leave... Maybe you have something to attend early the next morning so cant have a late one ;)

Xx

Latest posts

Back