How to start hair extension business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirsty Ramsey

Reaction score
I am trying to start up a hair extension business , but don't even know where to start !! There's a girl who does colour match and fitting on the same day and doesn't charge an awful lot but her work and hair is good !! I don't know how I would beat that and get any clients around here !!!

Before and after pictures are definately the best way to start. We suggest to our trainees that they do family and friends fitting for the price of the hair to get a good portfolio built up. Find a good supplier and give your client choices of a more affrodable range and a luxury range, Dont worry what anyone else is charging. Charge what you feel you and your hair is worth. People buy into people and the people that come to you wont necessarily gel with someone different etc Start a facebook page, you can set up your own website and post pictures and videos on social media as they get more views than just a written post :) hope this helps :)

Thank you for replying , thats what I have been thinking aswell. So far I have just done my sis in law but she is fussy and didn't want as much hair in as she should have got in my opinion ! Also she wouldn't allow me to cut it at the bottom so I'm not really wanting to use her pics as an advertisement! I will ask for another model on my Facebook maybe and go from there ! Xxx

Thank you for replying , thats what I have been thinking aswell. So far I have just done my sis in law but she is fussy and didn't want as much hair in as she should have got in my opinion ! Also she wouldn't allow me to cut it at the bottom so I'm not really wanting to use her pics as an advertisement! I will ask for another model on my Facebook maybe and go from there ! Xxx
Im sure you will get some takers if you advertise it as a special offer and be honest with your clients that you are doing it to build a portfolio :)

So iv got 2 ladies booked in for consultations [emoji4] so happy and nervous now ! Now I'm just trying to decide on the hair .. Single or double drawn ? Is it more the clients preference? as we were told only use double drawn hair .. But I sometimes think single drawn is more natural looking [emoji53] X

I personally dont like using single drawn i find it looks straggly on the ends, double drawn gives a fuller thicker look and looks alot nicer in my opinion x

Unless u cut a couple of inches of the ends to thicken it up xx

Yea well saying that anyone I haven seen with single drawn gets it cut at the bottom which then takes off the length they want ... I myself had double drawn in my hair ..iv got lots of people interested now and I'm starting to panic lol xx

Must u order a colour ring from every supplier u order from ? Could I use my GL colour ring to order from routes? Xxx

Yes as all the colour are different from every supplier, you could order a #6 from GL and it be #8 in routes, for example x

Thanks so much , that's what I thought but was just checking lol Thanks for ur help, I thought I'd learned everything I needed when I done my course but now I'm getting out there I'm realising there's so much I don't know still! X

I was exactly the same! Lots of research, practice, youtube & help from others, we all start from somewhere xx

Not all clients can afford double drawn prices so single drawn is sometimes a good alternative with cutting as you mentioned... for example our single drawn 16" actually measures 18" so you still get good thickness at the bottom at 16"

I Use angel Remy single drawn and I think it's a okay thickness, just needs 2 inches cutoff the ends. Have used hair planet that's single drawn and it's to to thin wether

It's not to thin ether*

Like i said thats just my opinion i used to use single drawn all the time from AR, but the price difference isnt much, i just find it looks better, if they do come longer in SD its a bonus so you can trim but if its not longer it can look straggly,

Completely depends on clients desire.. if they want a really natural enhancement I'll generally try and use single drawn. If they're after thick & glamorous I'll use double drawn..

But so many suppliers are cutting back on the thickness of the hair to try and compete with the value of pound being lower and to stop themselves from having to raise prices! I've been raving about euphoria the past month or two because I've been loving their hair, but the most recent weft I received from them was so thin on the ends!

Out of all the suppliers ive tried (I've got like 15+ colour rings!) I've only now, over a year after qualifying been able to settle on my regular suppliers being Prestige & Remi Cachet.. they're the only ones who I've found quality/thickness/overall consistency doesn't waiver from month to month!

I would like to stress (I cant speak for other suppliers) but we certainly are not changing the weights of our hair and if anyone is changing it the actual weight needs to be stated :-/

Thanks so much everyone, this app is so helpful , so glad I came across it! Another question if you's don't mind , the grading of the hair , which do you all use? Is it just depending on the clients budget ? X

Thanks so much everyone, this app is so helpful , so glad I came across it! Another question if you's don't mind , the grading of the hair , which do you all use? Is it just depending on the clients budget ? X
Ignore the 'AAAAA's.. it's not an official method of grading. I could cut a horses tail off and sell it as 6A hair..

You'll only ever know by trying the hair!

Latest posts

Back