How to test client's hair strength before hair extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorgeouslocks21

Reaction score
During clients consultation for hair extensions, does anyone put a few strands in to test in to test how the hair holds the extensions- especially if the client has fragile/thin hair?
If not how would you suggest to be able to check that the clients hair is strong enough to hold the weight?

During clients consultation for hair extensions, does anyone put a few strands in to test in to test how the hair holds the extensions- especially if the client has fragile/thin hair?
If not how would you suggest to be able to check that the clients hair is strong enough to hold the weight?
Unless the client has a hair loss condition, there won't be a problem. Just make sure you're putting them in properly. In 14 years I've only had 1 client with hair too weak to hold extensions. She had thinning hair and it came out by the roots while I was rolling my bonds - it was horrific! If your clients hair is being pulled out, it's down to poor application or poor aftercare.

You can also do a strand test to get an idea if you’re not sure. Part the hair at the back down the middle and isolate one hair. Pull gently at it and see if it springs back or comes away from the head easily. Then take both ends and pull gently to see if it splits or breaks easily.

Latest posts

Back