How would you lighten a previous ombre?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iconic

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I haven't been on here for soooo long but wondered if any geeks could help me please?
I have a client in tomorrow who always used to have a full head highlights.. The last time she came she wanted ombre so we darkened her root colour with 1/2 8G, 1/4 8BC, 1/4 10G.
Well she's back in tomorrow and is wanting to stick with the ombre style but not so dark?!? So that there's not as much of a contrast?!? .. Now I'm wondering the best way to go about this.. She is a natural level 9.. So now has level 9 natural regrowth, then the 8.5 (ish!) root colour from previous ombre with light mid/ends from build up of years of highlights! .. So what's the best way to get the middle darker band out? .. Would it work if I put a level 9 on her roots.. Smudging in to a high lift (but only used with 20 vol rather that 40)??

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance geeks x

Bump (sorry!) x

Personally I would do the new growth a half shade lighter than previous and add some fine balayage through the top to break up the band. That way the transition stays smooth.

Thank you for your reply :) .. When you say some fine balyage? Do you mean like fine bleach highlights? I'm a little confused? Could I do this all in one process? Or would I need to do the root colour first? Thanks x

It sounds to me like she wants more of a balayage highlighted look vs. the darker ombre. But I don't know how light she really wants to be. I would also do what Arthur said. You can do some fine new painted highlights and then while doing that you can also work through some of the hair that looks banded.

To get middle darker band, I'd free hand paint bleach and developer over a few if not all of the bands. If she's a natural level 9 you could do a base bump on new root regrowth and then take a few haindpainted highlights near scalp. Maybe scatter a few near scalp so looks natural. Not all linear.

I don't feel a highlift will take out the middle band.

Depending on what she wants then tone.

Theoretically you could do it in one process unless you want the highlights to be in the new growth area. I would just touch up the base and immediately paint the highlights so they can process together.

Thank you both.. I think I'm going to opt to colour the regrowth then as I'm going through doing the regrowth .. Paint some fine bleach pieces through the previous darker band-smudging in to the regrowth colour and feathering in to the bottom lighter section..
Does that sound ok? .. I really appreciate your help! x

Latest posts

Back