How would you reply?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharan

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I received this text from a client on new years day, which I haven't yet replied to. But I'm not really sure what to say?

"Happy New Year.Last of nails flaked off yesterday so won't need 2 come on 2nd. V.disappointing!"

This is a new client, first time wearing shellac. She usually wears acrylics, but hasn't done so in a while and her nails although a little thin, were in reasonable condition.

She came in a few days after I had applied the shellac because two nails had just "come off" - one opening a cereal box she said and the other when she was pulling her jeans up!😳

So I re-did the two nails, but I noticed the other nails looked dull... As if they had been scratched maybe.

I just don't know how to respond to this lady now?

Can anyone help? Thank you!😄

When did you apply them?

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

When did you apply them?

I applied them on 19 december. Fixed the broken two on Xmas eve and the client was booked in for removal today, which she cancelled yesterday.

What after advice did you give? Did you explain that it lasts upto 2 weeks not guaranteed for 2 weeks? If 2 had come off by Christmas Eve id be questioning the application

Perhaps offer a discount on another manicure

So it's 12 days - absolutely normal if client doesn't follow the aftercare and damages nails (as you said they already didn't look good when you fixed those 2). I'd reply something like 'I'm sorry to hear that you're dissapointed. I'm happy to see you anyway to find out what could be a reason of your shellac not lasting 14 days and to make sure your nails are in good condition' - not the exact wording but you know... She's not likely to come but at least she couldn't say you weren't willing to sort the problem out. I'd do that but maybe more experienced geeks have better ideas...

What after advice did you give? Did you explain that it lasts upto 2 weeks not guaranteed for 2 weeks? If 2 had come off by Christmas Eve id be questioning the application

Perhaps offer a discount on another manicure

Yes I did.. I advised it can last up to two weeks, but not guaranteed. I'm always careful to inform new clients of this.

I also advise that it is their responsibility to look after their nails. I explain the shellac aftercare verbally, but i also direct them to my website where the full shellac aftercare is listed!

This client refused to buy solar oil, although I stressed on a number of occasions the importance of it. But she outright said "no thanks" without reason.

I don't have problems with anyone else's manicures and I follow the same procedure. I had other clients same day, who have had no problems. I'm baffled..

I fixed the two broken nails for her without charge. But her nails didn't look like they had been cared for...

Don't worry too much, some clients will always blame a nail tech. Just send her friendly, sympathetic message to not burn the bridge. If she wants to come back she will. No matter where she does her shellac it won't last if she doesn't look after it so maybe she'd get at some point it's her...

Maybe shellac doesn't suit her nails if it chipped easily "opening a box of cereal" (not sure on that excuse, never heard that one before) could you perhaps apply a strengthener gel, is it bio sculpture for shellac? Like the structure gel for gelish, I always apply it to problem customers if gelish doesn't last as long?xx

Maybe shellac doesn't suit her nails if it chipped easily "opening a box of cereal" (not sure on that excuse, never heard that one before) could you perhaps apply a strengthener gel, is it bio sculpture for shellac? Like the structure gel for gelish, I always apply it to problem customers if gelish doesn't last as long?xx

Brisa light maybe?xx

I had a similar text from a client just after I'd opened at the start of this month. I was so upset! But I replied saying I was sorry to hear that she wasn't pleased with the treatment but sometimes shellac on its own does not offer enough support for some clients and that there are other avenues to explore if this is the case. I also explained that no two clients nails are the same and it sometimes takes a little teamwork between us both to find out what's best for the client. Then ended with something along the the lines of "you're more than welcome to book back in in the future".

It never ceases to amaze me how fickle people are. I hate when someone comes and sits in front of me going "I went to xxx salon and they were awful - all come off in 1 week!!" I try to politely ask what aftercare they were following (or not most of the time!) so that they don't leave my desk, disrespect their enhancements and then go and slate me to another salon.

I'm sure they still do and I wonder how many techs they will bad mouth before realising its them!

Rant over, sorry haha xx

Thanks for all your replies. I text the client back, saying I'm sorry she was disappointed in the service and the offer is there if she would like to come and see me to work out a suitable treatment for her. No reply yet.

I imagine the client perhaps bashed her acrylics around after having them done at a NSS salon and expected to be able to do the same with the shellac.. maybe..

The client asked for shellac when she requested the appt. However, when she actually came in she expected enhancements, which I don't even offer and she found me via my website!

She then settled for shellac "as I'm here now" she said. But wasn't interested in my aftercare lol. Okies then!

The client asked for shellac when she requested the appt. However, when she actually came in she expected enhancements, which I don't even offer and she found me via my website!

From previous management experience and having to deal with many of these types of situations, I imagine even if she didn't realise it herself, she decided right at this moment she wasn't going to be happy with the nails. You could of done anything. If you had done enhancements you would of "rushed them" in her eyes, if you hadn't she didn't get what she wanted and therefor she had already decided they were not going to be as good. Even though, if this is the case, the mistake isn't yours you are the easy one to blame. She isn't going to text you saying they didn't last but I bit them every night etc etc.

From previous management experience and having to deal with many of these types of situations, I imagine even if she didn't realise it herself, she decided right at this moment she wasn't going to be happy with the nails. You could of done anything. If you had done enhancements you would of "rushed them" in her eyes, if you hadn't she didn't get what she wanted and therefor she had already decided they were not going to be as good. Even though, if this is the case, the mistake isn't yours you are the easy one to blame. She isn't going to text you saying they didn't last but I bit them every night etc etc.

Lol yes so true.. It almost felt as if she was being awkward, particularly when I recommended use of solar oil... It was an outright NO!

Oh well.. I guess u win some and you lose some!

Thanks for everyone's positive feedback... It was a little disheartening receiving that text, particularly on new years day! But all your comments have upped my confidence since.. So thank you!😊

Lol yes so true.. It almost felt as if she was being awkward, particularly when I recommended use of solar oil... It was an outright NO!

Oh well.. I guess u win some and you lose some!

Thanks for everyone's positive feedback... It was a little disheartening receiving that text, particularly on new years day! But all your comments have upped my confidence since.. So thank you!😊

The hardest thing to remember at times is that we can't please everyone!!

Latest posts

Back