I can't stop gaining weight

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcake34

Reaction score
Hi geeks so I'm having a bit of a down day, I go on holiday in less than 2 weeks so I went to sort all my clothes out and try them on and half of them don't fit. Brilliant...

My diet hasn't changed at all and only odd treat once in a while, I'm active at work as in a spa and it's lots of massage 5 days a week and most evenings doing mobile work, I do exercise but yes have slacked lately.
I know I'm not really overweight but it's just a bit disheartening as i don't feel as confident like I used to (even though it wasn't much then) and I don't understand what's causing this.
I'm only 20, I'm about 5ft6 and weigh 10 st 10lb now and a few months ago I was 10st 4lb I used to be a size 10 and now none of my clothes fit comfortably at all so I'm a 12. It just feels all of a sudden my body has changed as I'm much fuller on the stomach hip and thigh, I did find out I was anaemic and I was put on a high dosage of folic acid and I'm on marvelon( birth control) but I don't think that would cause a change.
Just feel fed up :( why is this happening and how do I try control it other than live at the gym.
I was my smallest when I was in secondary school age 13-16 I really struggled with self esteem due to bullying and I found that purging and restricting my diet was the one thing I could do- leading to bulima which I am glad to say I have overcome but still struggle with my body image and confidence a hell of a lot.

Now I know there is nothing wrong with being size 12 or my weight really, but to me and my frame it's just not how I want to be as I don't feel comfortable in myself and I know there are greater problems but this keeps going through my mind and I wish it wouldn't, I constantly look at myself and never feel happy about what I see and I want that to change.

But how does everyone else control their weight? / does anyone ever get so down about it too and how do I stop being so down about it and realise there are so many more important things to worry about!

sorry for such a long post just needed to air my frustration!

I can honestly say 100% I know exactly what you're going through, weight wise. 3 years ago I was a size 10, very fit and not a scrap of fat on me.
I made the fatal decision to go on the Depo Injection to control my blood disorder, and I ended up putting on 5 stone in just over a year. I came off the injection last year and onto the mirena coil and I can't shift this weight! I don't binge eat, I have a very healthy diet and I'm quite active.
I've recently began Juice Plus, and despite the mixed reviews I have found it definitely works. I also drink a massive amount of water and I have one small meal a day.
I tried loads of other diets and other than feeling tired and ravenous all the time, they didn't work.
My friends have recommended the fitness programme "insanity", so I will be starting that relatively soon also.
I don't know how much this may have helped, I do hope you find something that works for you :) x

Oh god insanity !
It looks amazing but I'm so unfit I couldn't do it ! Let us know how it goes with insanity I'm intrigued x

I've recently found out if you're stressed, you release certain hormones which make you store fat round your middle no matter what you do :eek:

Oh god insanity !
It looks amazing but I'm so unfit I couldn't do it ! Let us know how it goes with insanity I'm intrigued x

I will let you know how it goes :) I'm not in the best shape either but I'll do my best! x

I've recently found out if you're stressed, you release certain hormones which make you store fat round your middle no matter what you do :eek:

To be honest, that would make perfect sense. Might need to look into ways to keep calm and relaxed, not freaking out like I usually do! x

Omg I did insanity and its crazy..... I couldn't even do the first fitness test without nearly passing out lol. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Aww cupcake, sorry you're feeling so down and low on confidence :(

I always feel a bit like that when I know i have a holiday coming up - having to bear all in a bikini is a little daunting! But by the sounds of it you're hardly big, and when I was younger and had a lot of confidence issues my mum always used to say 'no one will be looking at you'. In the nicest way possible, they won't. They'll be enjoying their own holidays and unless you suddenly sprout a tail or something, you'll look the same as everyone else and no one will bat an eyelid :)

It sounds a bit mean, but to make me feel better, my mum also used to say you look great blah blah blah and remember 'there's always one worse!' Those two little quotes have just stuck with me since! We forget how lucky we are our only issues having put on a few pounds! and by 'there's always one worse' she means no matter how bloated, big and ugly we may feel, (how I Lways used to feel!) there will always be someone, somewhere that is less fortunate! Bit mean I know but it helped me!

Try to stop worrying..im my sure you're gorgeous, and you have a holiday to look forward to! :)

Hope this helps a little :)

X

I do slimming world but as I've got closer to target my losses slowed right down. So I now use my fitness pal to log my calorie intake alongside sw - it really does make you think about what you are eating. I'd gotten complacent and stopped eating so much fruit & veg but now I'm back to eating better I feel better and have lost 5lb in 4 weeks. That 4 weeks includes a blow out 4 day trip to Dublin & a days drinking at the races so if it wasn't for those the loss would probably be double that. And yes I think most women feel like you do at one point or another. 3 summers ago I thought I was fat - I was a size 12 & went to the gym all the time and actually looked pretty damn good. then I had my daughter and gained a massive amount of weight. Now I would kill for the body I had back when I thought I was fat. I think what I'm trying to say is that we should really try and embrace and appreciate the body we have especially if its healthy and works because one day you may be wishing you had that body you dislike right now x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey! I would say go back to your doctor. Some contraceptives do cause a few pounds of weight gain. Mabye you could have a chat with the gp about a non hormonal contraceptive such as a coil? I know loads of people that have gained a few annoying pounds from being on hormone based contraceptives. X

Thanks for all the lovely replies and taking the time to read my huge post :) . Definitely some lovely people on here really need to start changing how I think I suppose!

It's true though I think we focus on ourselves and look into our bad qualities and probably make them 10x worse in our minds when other people may not even notice them.

I've tried insanity before last year! Ouch I got through 10 days and that was it but the 30 day shred is good so I may start that too along side a good varied diet.

Think I will go see my gp about my pill anyway and see if that could perhaps be one of the reasons I'm feeling like this.

Just need to think positively and not get stressed as lately I have been a hell of a lot !

There's usually a hidden reason for weight gain. If you really haven't been eating anymore or exercising less then it may well be your contraceptives.

As others have said most of us have
been there! I know I have!
Insanity nearly killed me too I was hobbling around for days after each session.
I've taken a break from the pill and have definitely found I've lost a bit of weight. I don't think these things help the process but what can we do?

Try not to stress too much you sound like an ok weight for your height! You could try a juice detox of some sort I'm sure you would drop a few pounds pretty quickly?

Latest posts

Back