I didnt do my friends nails as well as her own tech!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gucci906

Reaction score
Hi...i havent been doing acrylic that long...i love doing them...but also havent been practising either:rolleyes:

My best mate approached me and asked if i could do her acylic infills while her tech was on her hols. I was a bit hesitant as i know she is very fussy and proud of her nails (and so she should be) but i agreed and offered her a very competitive price.

She came to me with greenies (which i have never had to deal with before) and cracks half way down her nail...but as she has has had acrylics for nearly 10 years...she talked me through what to do.

I sanitised, then did a thorough prep, her cuticles are very thick and always very sore, (she has bad exzema)i pushed them back but was very careful. I used citri-soak to clean, then scrub-fresh, i also used nail fresh...as i didnt want ANY lifting!! Forgot to mention that her nails are very very long and have a natural curve in them.

I was very careful when buffing as to not catch her with the file...and proceeded with the infill. She was pleased with the finished result...it took about 2 hours!!

She said the next day...her cuticles were very sore...she is prone to weeping...but didnt say that they were weeping.

She told me within a few days they werent great...i applied very thinly at the cuticle area.

anway she came to me last nite..and i wanted to know what her tech thouhgt of my work....and she told me it wasnt very good...so she didnt really want to tell me. only by the time she went to her they were in a very bad way.

i dont know what went wrong...i am really upset as i love doing acrylic..the only thing i can think off if her cuticles had been weeping would that have caused lifting? She said some acrylic pinged off the sides of the nails!!??

Any thoughts as to where i went wrong?

sorry hun i cant help as ive only just started acrylic myself but ive bumped your thread back up to the top in hope that someone else can help you xxxxxxxxxx

WHY are her cuticles weeping?
And why on earth did she have greenies and go back to a tech that obviously did a poor service so as to cause greenies?
And cracks down her nails?
Or have I misunderstood?

This all sounds like she's got a bad tech who's not taking care of her.

As for your application, I'm sorry, I don't do L&P and not seeing pics of the work, hard to comment really.

but I would be very concerned for your friend's natural nail health!!

Am i right in thinking that greenies are from water getting into lifted product??

She told me to dig out the existing acrylic with the sharp point of my cuticle clippers....i really didnt want to do this....but she insisted this is what her tech does. Her tech has been qualified for 17 years and really know her stuff....she trusts her implicitly...and she wouldnt listen to me if i tried to tell her any different.

Her cuticles werent weeping when i finished...but i have known my friend since i was 16 and she used to suffer really badly with ezcema and weeping this was caused from eating chocolate...plus she has bad nut allergy, hayfeaver etc. I can only go on the fact that they dont lift from her normal tech and they did with me.

I use Creative Retention+ her tech uses EZ flow.

The cracks down her nails were from her lugging a bag of children's play sand from Argos to her car....and dropping it...cracked her nail quite badly...it was all underneath the acylic...she had dropped some glue into it...and she asked me to resin and spray it...as it was too sore to soak off. It has lifted and was going a bit black...maybe it was the beginning of a greenie??

gucci906 said:
Am i right in thinking that greenies are from water getting into lifted product??

She told me to dig out the existing acrylic with the sharp point of my cuticle clippers....i really didnt want to do this....but she insisted this is what her tech does. Her tech has been qualified for 17 years and really know her stuff....she trusts her implicitly...and she wouldnt listen to me if i tried to tell her any different.

Her cuticles werent weeping when i finished...but i have known my friend since i was 16 and she used to suffer really badly with ezcema and weeping this was caused from eating chocolate...plus she has bad nut allergy, hayfeaver etc. I can only go on the fact that they dont lift from her normal tech and they did with me.

I use Creative Retention+ her tech uses EZ flow.

In other words you 'pried' off the lifted areas? This is a no-no! File it away. Prying it off will cause stress and pressure to where the product is still attached to the nailplate and lift layers of it off. Don't pry it off, this is the practice of poor techs and/or NSS. Just because she 'believes' her tech is a qualified tech or even if she IS a qualified tech, for all intents and purposes, if she's prying off lifted product... can't say I feel that she's qualified. JMHO.

As for greenies caused by water getting under the product, yes, this indeed can cause it. But does she have this often? If she is getting it often, i would 'think' (vets - please correct me if I'm wrong) then I would suppose that A) she's waiting too long between fills and there's lift and B) the tech is not repairing lift properly nor doing her prep properly. Also if she experiences a lot of lift frequently, I have to suppose that the tech is not applying it very well either (although, I do have one client that lifts no matter what, but she has had this with all systems and with multiple techs and it's all due to her natural health status etc). Also, she says she doesnt get lift with her normal tech YET she has greenies? She must get lift. Also, if she's telling you to pry off lifted product because that's what her tech does then again, she must be getting lift with her other tech as well. After all, you did refill her lifted product so she does get lift.

I'm taking shots in the dark here, but the fact that her tech pries off lifted product bothers me.

As i said i really didnt want to do this....i was buffing and she said just use your clippers its quicker....thats what "so and so" does.

i could see the lines of the old product when i was buffing but couldnt tell if there was old lifting, it seemed pretty secure...and i didnt want to buff unecessarily.

her tech is the experienced one not me....she has tons of clients and when you are sooo busy...maybe you take shortcuts?? i phoned her once to do a bit of my own research...lol...and she couldnt see me for 3 weeks!! I wish i was that busy!!

my friend thinks she is the dogs b******s...lol!!! and to her credit her nails do look lovely...on top....lol!! its just a bit worrying what is lurking underneath.

and as we know...some techs love to s**g off another techs work:rolleyes:

Hiya

From what i have read i would say that any problems you have had are just inexperiance...and due to this and the pressure you where under, you allowed her to guide you into doing things incorrectly. Don't rack your brains worrying about what the other tech is doing or not doing...its not your concern and she is not your client...so let them get on with it.(the length of time she has been doing nails means nowt IF her methods are pants..give me a newbie nail tech all fresh from great learning anyday).....concentrate on what you are doing and how you can get more experience and confidence....this means get practicing...alot....lol.....and sticking to what you have been taught..go with what you know to be right...it will all fall into place one day...just stick with it.

Hope this helps xxx

From what i could tell this busy tech is cuttin way too much corners for my taste. Stick to the correct practise no matter what people tell you or if it takes longer, if they insist simply reply: This is how it should be done and i can't do it any other way then the right way.
Speed comes with practise not cutting corners, so if people complain on the time you take simply explain that you have less practise so take longer to do things, that why you are charging less.
Keep at it, i'm sure one day you'll realize how much you've improved.

sod what this other tech does babes....you stick to what you have been taught,
you knew you shouldnt have dug out the acrylic as you didnt want to do it.. and when your friend says such a such does it this way...id just reply "well i dont,...and i dont want to be responsible for permanently damaging your nails hun"
something like that,then explain why you wont do it.....
if she still go's on and on (this go's for any client) i would say sorry im not doing them ..."i am quaified,ect...and i know what i am doing,if you wont let me get on with my work,then i cannot do them for you"

i know she is your friend ,but its one of them your dammed if you do,and your dammed if you dont!!!!

Okay I don't know this tech so I may have this wrong, but it sounds like a classic case of "17 years experience of bad habits makes me all-knowing and nothing to learn" type of tech. Doesn't make her bad at what she does, just a corner cutter. I agree with Angie, give me a newly qualified person who does it by the text book , with the latest products and techniques any when before someone who hasn't updated their skills in years.

gucci906 said:
I sanitised, then did a thorough prep, her cuticles are very thick and always very sore, (she has bad exzema)i pushed them back but was very careful. I used citri-soak to clean, then scrub-fresh, i also used nail fresh...as i didnt want ANY lifting!! Forgot to mention that her nails are very very long and have a natural curve in them.

I was very careful when buffing as to not catch her with the file...and proceeded with the infill. She was pleased with the finished result...it took about 2 hours!!

?

Hi there ...I think everyone else has covered the nipping etc....and really you will get more experienced and not listen to your clients telling you what to ao...as you are the qualified tech not them!!!

The only thing I would say here though about your treatment is that you seem to have done all your prep....and been very thorough....BUT you have prepped BEFORE you have thinned out the enhancement..

This should be the other way round....If you thin out the enhancement and FILE the lifting away then you will be exposing more nail plate.... therefore if you do your prep after you have then it out then all of that exposed nail plate get's prepped....HTH

Stick to what you have learnt in your training, the client shouldn't be telling the tech how to do their job. If this lady asks you to do her nails again say you are busy. If she's happy with whatever methods her other tech uses then maybe she should stay with her for good.
Read up on the tutorials on the site.
Sometimes when we first learn this job we aren't so confident but this does come with time, practice and a lot of training.
Good luck.

izzidoll said:
Hi there ...I think everyone else has covered the nipping etc....and really you will get more experienced and not listen to your clients telling you what to ao...as you are the qualified tech not them!!!

The only thing I would say here though about your treatment is that you seem to have done all your prep....and been very thorough....BUT you have prepped BEFORE you have thinned out the enhancement..

This should be the other way round....If you thin out the enhancement and FILE the lifting away then you will be exposing more nail plate.... therefore if you do your prep after you have then it out then all of that exposed nail plate get's prepped....HTH

Thanks so much for that advice....i have always prepped before thinning. Taken on board and logged!! Excellent!!

Just sending you a big cyber hug :hug: , don't let it get you down!!!

Chin up!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

this might sound a bit harsh, but the first mistake you made was allowing her to tell you what to do. i would have asked her to wait until her tech comes back to get her nails done. no matter how inexperienced you are, unless the person sitting across from you is a well trained nail herself and even so, you dont allow them to tell you what to do apart from what service the would like to be done... this covers nail polish, nail shape, whether they want gel or L&P and if the want sculpts of tips.. nothing else as far as i am concerned.

but you live and you learn and next time i know you wont let it happen again. sometimes "friends" are more trouble to you than they are worth. old time folks usually say it is sometimes better to deal with stangers than friends and family. take care

Latest posts

Back