I don't understand the gun-newbie tanner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeupandbeauty

Reaction score
Hi there

I qualified in spray tanning and practised on a friend and her tan was perfect. I did one on a paying client today and not so much! Her armpits went green despite having a wash before hand because she had worn deodorant, am I right in thinking this should wash off with the guide colour?

Also, the gun was sort of spitting and at one point it dripped on her so I patted her with some kitchen roll and then gently resprayed. However I felt like her arms and legs looked patchy. There was also a darker bit on her boob. We were also taught not to spray hands and feet but I feel like I should have as they looked white! I keep worrying about it now. I turned down the dial by the trigger. I also ran out of tan (I put 50ml in) halfway through and had to put more in.

I've been researching and although I know the dial puts more or less solution through, I have no idea wha the right amount is and how I can tell this. I also don't know what turning the gun nozzle does, other than that we were taught to have it horizontal. But have it tight or lose and what this does/means, I have no idea. Also, there were clouds of spray so I know there was too much. Should I just turn it right down to the lowest?

Any help would be gladly appreciated, I'm so worried she has a terrible tan.

The green patches will wash off, it's just where there is residue of product. I always put in more tan than I think I will need, you should aim for 50ml but as you're just starting out I would put in slightly more so you don't have to refil halfway through, any leftover tan in the cup can be kept for the next tan (with a screwed on lid) or funnelled back into the bottle.

Tanning hands and feet I do lightly in a cross cross motion. So lightly cross cross over the feet and then over the hands while the client holds them in a claw shape.

As for your gun it really depends what gun you are using. I have the TS20 and I have my dial set to about 8 o clock. So I turn the dial so it is tight and Mark 12 o clock with nail varnish then I turn it back so the mark is at about 8 o clock. Do test on couch roll or kitchen roll before every tan though. Spray the roll and the tan should colour it but not soak through.

Thanks Louise, I hadn't seen this. Unfortunately she hasn't been back yet for me to know, she had previously been to me for eyebrows so hopefully she will come back.
Thankyou this is all really helpful. I had a look at the gun and I can't see any numbers on it, just that its 650w? I'll have to post a pic of the label and see if anyone can advise. The advice about spraying so he back of couch roll is not wet is the best yet, amazing, thanks!

Update, she came back for brows and said she loved the tan and would be back for another, whoop whoop!

I now know to dab if there is an overspray and lightly spray and the last few tans I've done have been perfect.

I've been doing the criss cross technique that you suggested as well as testing on couch roll. Thankyou!!

Glad you are feeling more confident, it really is just practice x

Latest posts

Back