I need another way to earn some money!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hidden Mandy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me suggestions or offer advice / help??

I have a small salon which has been open since June 2011, we have a small loyal client base and are constantly doing text offers, facebook advertising and have done 3 local leaflet drops since we opened. Our prices are very competitive compared to our competitors (of which there aren't many nearby!).

I have also done leaflets and gift vouchers for treatments for teachers at local schools and slimming world groups etc. We have a website and are listed on many free search sites such as touchlocal, wahanda etc!

I work full time (well - Weds - Saturday) and am qualified in all treatments except for massage, facials and gel nails. My part timer is fully qualified in everything and works 3 days a week and I have an experienced nail tech who works Saturdays only.

I have not yet been able to pay myself a wage, which is understandable, and this will probably be the case for the rest of this year, I am able to pay my qualified girls to carry out most of the treatments but I'm finding especially since around October time that a lot of the time we are sitting here doing nothing!!

This is not only frustrating but is costing me a lot of money, and a couple of months I have had to pay the rent out of my own pocket (or my husbands!!!) as the salon is simply not bringing in enough money.

Now I am on the verge of going back to my previous life as an insurance sales person (boooo!!) to bring some money in, and leave the girls to run things, but I really love the beauty industry so my question is (sorry for the long post but I wanted readers to understand my position so far!!!) is there anything I can do from the salon to earn extra money??? whether it be a distributor for something beauty related, mail order, etc, etc???

I have a marketing and sales background, am very good at admin related things, I can't help thinking there could be something I could do to earn money whilst sat here in a salon with very few clients!!!

For info we also have a PAYG Microdermabrasion machine, a power plate, sunbed, and one of my girls has just done semi - perm eyelash course and is currently practising like mad!!! oh and we have SkinViva in around once a month to do Botox / fillers etc!!

Any help or advice (or job offers!!) would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Mandy

Hi I opened my salon in November I just work on my own until I build up more clients and would never take anyone on until I'm making more money myself I'm making enough money to pay bills and rent and give myself a wage but if I employed people I wouldnt be doing as well, why don't you pay for yourself to do courses in the things your staff do that you don't do and build up your own clients then when you've built up enough of a client base then employe people. Xxx

Have you tried maybe having a coffee morning for for Mum's etc in which they can come in have a chat and have some treatments done. Maybe have later opening one evening so those who work can come in after work. Perhaps have an offer of the week (one product or service is discounted for that week) and email/text clients as well as leafleting about it. Maybe a recommend a friend discount too?
You could also offer birthday packages etc.

You might have tried all of these but thought I'd mention it.

with the times that are in it , the more we can work ourselves the better, obviously if it's a quiet day and you are there yourself it's not costing you much as opposed to having to pay out a wage. i would say cut your staff down to a minimum, and get the training you need yourself to be able to do all and then as you build up the business you can give the girls extra hours.

Danni1984, just out of curiosity, how do you run a salon alone? Who mans the phone and the tills while you're doing treatments? Do you close the doors when you're doing treatments and potentially turn clients away? I'm just curious because I would like a salon at some point but it's the cost of employing people that holds me back.
In response to the op, the first year of business is hard and not very profitable at all, weather it's mobile or in a salon. If you need a bit more coming in a part time job may help, but it depends on if you want to split your focus. I think extra training is a good idea weather you cut down your staff or not, it's always handy to be able to perform all your treatments yourself, and maybe cut the girls hours so you can afford them. Are you able to rent a room out to someone? That may help a little? X

Legal Notice

Danni1984, just out of curiosity, how do you run a salon alone? Who mans the phone and the tills while you're doing treatments? Do you close the doors when you're doing treatments and potentially turn clients away? I'm just curious because I would like a salon at some point but it's the cost of employing people that holds me back.
In response to the op, the first year of business is hard and not very profitable at all, weather it's mobile or in a salon. If you need a bit more coming in a part time job may help, but it depends on if you want to split your focus. I think extra training is a good idea weather you cut down your staff or not, it's always handy to be able to perform all your treatments yourself, and maybe cut the girls hours so you can afford them. Are you able to rent a room out to someone? That may help a little? X

Legal Notice

Hi, I am a hairdresser so don't need to lock the door and go in the back rooms , my friend has a beauty salon she locks her door and has a bell and a notice on the front door to ring if doors locked as treatments are being done in the back and she gets on fine, I answer my phone and can sort my clients bill out my self if you want the money and can't afford to pay someone else a wage aswell as yours then you will find ways to make it work, I've been in uite a few beauty salons that have a bell in the front door and ask to ring bell if doors locked

Times are hard and its all doom and gloom on the news and in the paper. Experts reckon that it takes an average of 2 years before a new business starts to make money, with them hopefully breaking even in the 2 years if lucky. The first things to go when money is tight is luxuries, ie beauty treatments. Its a no brainer really. If its costing you money then you need to cut your overheads, the easiest being staff Either cut their hours or get rid of one of them. Sounds harsh, but thats business.

I have had my salon for 3 years now.
Worked all hours god sent, didn't earn ANYTHING for over a year but had to pay staff. It's hard, and will always be hard but does get easier.
I now earn a wage and in salon parttime. I personally wouldn't recommend you get another job too. The salon owner needs to be in salon all the time when your new (I think)
People don't just come for the treatment they come for the people too and u need to know your clients. You need to work on YOUR salon not work for someone else as well. I know the feeling though as I felt the same...I thought about getting a bar job at night for extra money...I'm soooo glad I didn't and used that energy in salon instead.

Work hard and be determined to succeed . You will be fine I promise :)

X

Have you thought about Becoming a "stockist" for popular items that are only available in that way. Kind of like how certain things are only available through their "xxxxx representative?" I have been thinking about becoming a body wrap consultant and offering them through my salon. Just another suggestion for an extra form of employment where you don't have to leave your salon?

OP, I have jusm pm'd you with an excellent business opportunity :biggrin:

Thanks Danni1984. (don't know what that legal notice thing was at the end of my post! I somehow managed to add some rubbish and thought I deleted it! Haha!!) xx

Hi I've been through all this to, keep going & it will build up, since having shellac in our salon my takings have doubled ladies love it? Worth spending the cash on to bring it in? Hope this helps

I opened this salon a year ago in May. I started with too many staff. I now have me full time, my apprentice full time (so if I am busy with a client there is always someone to answer the phone / man the desk etc) and a part time stylist 3 days a week and am now using a casual stylist on the days that we are busy or if I am here servicing alone and booked then the casual comes in to cover walk ins and last minute appointments. On a Saturday there always needs to be 1 working and 1 available to avoid losing walk ins. I dont pay myself a salary yet although am taking wages in dribs and drabs I think I am up to December now with paying half a month as and when I can. The apprentice earns the basic apprentice wage and I couldnt operate without her. My basins are round the back so if I was round there, anyone could walk in with an empty salon out the front, not a good look.

Latest posts

Back